My boyfriend doesn't want to get engaged and married because we don't know enough people to throw a big wedding?

Anonymous
Hi,

Me and my boyfriend have been together for more than 7 years.
We are both from another country.
I have moved 4 times already and found it difficult to maintain friendships because of work/university.
Now I have moved again to live in the same house as my boyfriend and know nobody in the town.
One day i told him that I don't understand why he has not proposed yet (I have never brought it up before, a year ago I only gently suggested that a lot of women at work get married which is nice).
And he told me that what is the point because from both mine and his side we could barely scrape 20-30 people.

I told him that I don't care for a big wedding (I really don't). He replied that he is only going to get married in a church and that everyone around seems to have these big weddings. He does not even want to listen about getting married elsewhere.

I don't even have a ring on my finger but already feel empty inside. Also feel so guilty for not having a lot of friends/ small family. My father left me when I wasn't born yet and we migrated so I only have immediate family and newly made friends here.

So sorry for the rant. Anyone has any advice?
It feels very sad to know that I won't get engaged/ married because of this situation.
4
4