Why did he say he wanted to try again, then change his mind later?

Anonymous
My ex and I have been broken up for about a month now. Even after we broke up we continued to talk, and he told me we weren't going to get back together because he doesn't want a relationship. It took a few days but I accepted it. I told him we would be just friends and started to text him and email him less to show him I could be.

A few days later, he texts me saying he missed me and that he wanted to talk about trying again once he got back from his holiday. We texted and talked as much as we used too.

He got back a couple of days ago, but said he changed his mind about trying again. he also said that he wouldn't be comfortable if I did certain things cause I might hook up, and that he would stop talking to me if I did.

So I pretty much took this as him saying that he doesn't have a place for me in his life, so I sent him an email telling him I wasn't going to wait for him. He wrote back but I didn't reply. I feel so messed with.

I feel like I don't even have the will power to stick to what I said, cause honestly, if he wanted me back I would be there in a second. I just need to know why he changed his mind, and how to get over it?
1
1