What are some healthy tips so I don't binge when I am stressed?

Hi, for one of my New Years resolutions I am trying to be healthier and eat better. I have noticed when I get stressed I eat everything in sight. Its horrible, really. I don't know how to stop it.

Yesterday was kinda rough for me, work wise, and I ended up coming home, working out hard for two hours, and then still ate baklava and Christmas sweets that were left over.

I do good during the day because I'm preoccupied like I ate Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and chicken (no skin) for dinner. For lunch I had a low sodium, low fat can of progress soup with two cups of Brussels sprouts I added to it. With a tortilla.

I never seem to have time for breakfast so its usually just green tea.

So I try to not eat when I'm stressed but some days I just binge out on the stuff. Any ideas?

Thank you & Happy Early New Years lol

34

Most Helpful Guy

• Binge eating is a very common coping mechanism when for an individual under immense amounts of stews. Believe me- I know that all too well. I have an Undiagnosed genetic disorder, I take 17 credits/semester, I'm on the board of directors of an national non-profit organization and I'm a tutor in my university's writing center. Plus, my relationship with my immediate family is extremely strained at the moment.

For many individuals, food tastes good and distracts him or her from the pain the stress is causing. What you need to do is find a healthier substitution that will fulfill the same need that binge eating currently fulfills. Good luck on your new year's resolution :)

What Guys Said 3

• One reason you binge is thatt you sound really active, and you work out quite a bit, but you skip breakfast, and have a really light lunch.

So, even without the stress, you'd tend to eat a lot at night, which isn't ever a good idea in terms of your weight.

Make time for a breakfast, at least some oatmeal and toast or a piece of fruit. Enough so you're not hungry later in the morning.

Have fruit with our lunch as well, or a light, low-fat sandwich maybe veggie or peanut butter.

This way, you're not going to be so hungry at night.

Plan your evening meal as well, so that it's enough but not too much, and stick to your plan regardless of stress. I think you'll find you can resist temptation a lot better if you've had more food earlier in the day.

If you feel stressed have something available like a sugar-free chocolate low-calorie dessert available, something that feels like a binge item, but isn't!

• Toss the junk food, but don't get rid of all of it. You do still need some from time to time, or you'll just crave it more, and then fall back into the same pattern. Eat 5-6 small meals per day. about 500 cal each. And when you're stressed out, try popcorn, or doing something other than eating. Our bodies are made to store fat so that later on, we can survive for longer without food. It's something that hasn't changed for centuries. Now we have food at our finger tips, and back then we didn't always have food.

When you're stressed out, try a stress ball, or if you're at home sexual stimulation can help as well over food. It's a hard habit to break, but once you do it's a good one to be broken.

• Work out harder, go for runs, read a book, play video games.

What Girls Said 3

• Don't skip breakfast. You may be the expetion but people tend to eat more and report to have worse cravings if they skip breakfast.

Never ever let yourself become really really hungry. I'm assuming after work and a hard workout you were starving and couldn't wait to get some food. People tend to eat anything they can get quickly and too much of that then. So really eat when you're hungry but not too hungry.

I need a bigger lunch then just soup and a tortillia. If I don't I'm dying to get some food when I get home and stuff myself with some unhealthy sh*t.

Pack more lunch. Make healthy dinners and then pack the leftovers for lunch the next day. If you don't want bigger lunches always have healthy snacks with you. Like baby carrots, other cut vegetable, nuts or even trail mix

• Buy healthy things so if you do binge it won't be that bad

• I use to have this problem... I started filling up on a liquid. I made shakes with oranges, bananas and strawberries etc.