What's so great about New Years/New Years Eve?

Everybody seems to make a big deal about it. "2012 sucked, 2013 will rock!" ... people expect the turning of a month and year to change their fortune and I just don't get the fascination with celebrating a new year. If someone could give me a reason other than, "You're just an idiot and wouldn't understand.", I'd appreciate it. To me it just seems like an excuse to get drunk. Which is fine with me ... but I don't get any of its other purposes -- if there are any.

1111

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of people see the new years as an opportunity for change. But like you, I am getting annoyed at all the people saying "2012 sucked! Bring on 2013...blah blah blah!" The difference between a year sucking and a year being awesome, I believe for most people is simply perspective.

Most of the people saying that are usually the ones who post stuff about how one terrible thing happened to them and now their whole life sucks. And it might not even be a very bad thing (ie. lost a cell phone, a friend betrayed them), just a little bump in the road for most people. Sucky stuff happens, but that's life. Unfortunately they let it ruin their life. And then the next day it's all "omg I'm so happy...lovin' life..."

New years is pretty over-hyped. People also make it a big deal that you have to have the night of your life. Not true, you should try to have fun all year round, not just on new years. Yes it's a time for celebration, but you can make changes in your life any time of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy celebrating new years too, but I just think it's ridiculous how some people are complaining about how much '2012 sucked'. I'm sure for some people it actually did. But honestly, most of the people I know that had horrible things happen to them (ie. loved ones dying) are actually reflecting quite positively to the past year. They are not letting it bring them down. I think that is the important thing, just focus on the good things. The bad things have already happened, so it's not going to help to relent on all the bad stuff. Especially if it's something insignificant.

What Girls Said 10

• Because it marks the beginning of a new 'period'. A reason to be motivated. This is a 'separate' set of days, filled with potential and they're 'planning' and deciding how they want to see it go. A 'marker' of sorts. A nice rounded and universally established 'starting line' A place to start count from. It represents an opportunity to begin. A 'deadline' for your bad habits to end. It's more about the symbolism of a new cycle of seasons to 'work with'.

It's just a nice ceremonious way to intitiate a goal, much like fasting holidays. You're directly asserting self control and initiative.

You're also saying "What can I do to improve the quality of my year?"

You already know what you consider to be realistic. Some set realistic low goals, others set realistic high ones, while others choose unrealistic to their actual ability but want to challenge themselves. People have goal drives and ambition.

Think of it like marriage, sure, the ceremony shouldn't change anything. If you have a good relationship, a wedding is a public statement and vow to do all that you can to uphold it, difficult or not. The wedding is the proclamation. The marker. And just like marriage, some take it fully serious and hold their promise at high value and commit themselves fully, while others go into it thinking "And if it doesn't work, no big deal. I can change my mind later." It's a promise to your friends and your spiritual 'higher power/whole self/integrity' that you are committing and want to hold onto this decision.

It's a mixed bag.

• It's the beginning of a new year, a new chance for people to make their life turn around and make it amazing! Deep down we know it's silly, but it's like: new year, new hope, new plans, new chances, new opportunities, ...

Like when people say they'll start a diet or stop a habit, they'll say: I'll start on Monday.

That's because it's a new week, a new beginning. We know we can start tomorrow, or even better, today.

And yeah, it's an excuse to get drunk and kiss people. But isn't that just like any normal weekend for some people?

I think NYE is overrated. Yes, it's a new year, and yes, secretly I do have resolutions (which I'm planning to keep this year, promise).

• Everybody likes fresh starts. And that's what the first day of the new year feels like. It feels like a new opportunity to change your life for the better. Sure, it's not the only day you can do that - you can do it any day of the year. But it being the first day of the entire year really emphasizes opportunity.

• I don't get it too.I mean it just another new day and year.Every roads were pack and crowded and I have to drive for almost an hour to reach the place which is suppose to be around 10 minutes only.Its very annoying when you have to be late for important purpose just because of these people.Its funny how they think its an excuse to get drunk or having fun when they can have it other days.Some people just get too excited over silly thing.

• i just had this conversation with a friend. I agree with you. an arbitrary day of the year can't all of a sudden signify a change in fortune, or more importantly, a change in character. but people love 'fresh starts' and 'second chances'. I think it's one of the biggest flaws in being human. we delude ourselves into thinking that once we reach January first, we will all of a sudden turn a new leaf and become a better person and lose the ten pounds we meant to lose each year before. I think the celebration is just a reason to have fun and gives hope to most people that maybe things will be different.

• Though, a lot of people do, IT does NOT necessarily mean everyone has to get drunk. Simply you've made it through another year, just like you celebrate your birthday, some people don't get to.. so why not celebrate it and hope for a better year? and Besides it's to make goals, and attempt to accomplish them. People without goals don't look forward to anything and are less likely to get far in life with anything accomplished... and what's interesting about that? Nothing! So why be dull and boring? That's personal choice!

• Why be so dull and boring and habitual that you don't set goals until January 1st? Why not set goals March 14th or July 27th? You don't need to wait until one particular day to make a change.

• No. People make goals all the time regardless of time, day or year, or whatever... yet a new year is a new beginning, therefore most look at it as a way to make a change, and start off a new year with NEW set goals.

• Fair enough.

• I really don't get the point.

My parents never celebrated it.

New year, new crap!

• haha not much really I just slept all day :/

• It's about hope

Hope for the future

I feel sad for you if you don't understand that

• "Hope" isn't going to change a thing. That all fits in with the whole faith thing as well. Believing in God or not believing in God won't make you healthier or happier or make your loved ones live longer. Pretty off-topic, but it ties together. Hope doesn't do anything. Action does. If you want something to happen, you need to make it happen. Not sit and "hope."

• It's just one of those things that's whatever you make of it. Historically, New Year's (regardless of when that date is, like Chinese New Year) has been symbolic of a fresh start in a lot of cultures for hundreds of years.

There is no practical "purpose" - it's all personal, and for a lot of people it's just spiritual or mental. A lot of people don't care. Others get really into it. Some people just like to get drunk and party.

What Guys Said 11

• 2012 was a great year for me. I don't care what anyone else say, I lost over 30 lbs this year and I plan to lose more this year.

I wake up its 2012, I go to sleep and wake up the next morning , Its 2013, I don't think its a big deal but to each's own I suppose.

• Nice. How'd you lose the weight? I dropped 20 pounds pretty quickly a few years ago just by making myself only drink water.

• Exercising's the right/good way to do it. I just lost weight by still eating sh*tty food ... just less of it.

• Wow what's your secret for losing so much weight =O

• I'm with you on this one. If anything, 2013 is likely going to be a worse year for most people, because I think 2013 will be the year where things will start unraveling

• For sure. I don't want to know what the country/world will look like 365 days from now.

• 2012 started great, ended horribly as my years typically do.

I only care about seasons. Time to prepare for an amazing spring.

• Coming from 8 years in the military... I (that's me, & I can give two sh*ts what anyone else thinks) celebrate that we humans made it through another year without completely destroying ourselves.

• nothing really changes. its just a mental thing. I don't believe in luck. I'm over the getting drunk thing on nye... I don't need a special day to get drunk...

• Nothing, it's just a manmade day.

• gr8 about new year...hmmmm...

1 got added to 2012 and made it 2013 ...nothing much has changed

• Short answer? The difference between optimistic vs pessimistic. You obviously are pessimistic which is alright!

• 2012 sucked horse **** I lost several family members and I am glad its gone

• sounds like you didn't go out on new years! and you're mad! hahahhahahaa!

• Just another day to me.