How do you motivate yourself to do things you dislike?

With New Year's resolutions in full swing, here's an interesting question. How do you personally motivate yourself to do things you dislike or even hate?

26

Most Helpful Guy

• Well first a person should change how they feel about it, since if they hate it, the resolution will quickly fail.

My answer: change the mentality first.

What Guys Said 5

• If "it" is in your best interests or of one you care for, allow it to become your duty and let the satisfaction of accomplishing your duty counteract the unpleasantness of the task.

• My New Years Resolution is just to keep passing my classes. I'm 10-11 classes away from being done with my first first degree and I used to fail my classes. My motivation? I have to pay for the class, if I get a C or lower...I don't have a job but I have a little bit saved away, so yeah...that's my motivation

• I find a way to make it fun. Good music is a huge help. Always keep your eye on the prize!

• Willpower. I'd say its pretty important not to try and take on too much at once. Make a small change for a month and then another the next month and so on.

• Do it anyways. It's just a matter of self discipline.

• Ah, yes. But what motivates you to have discipline?

• If you don't do it, it'll never get done. Things in life don't always go easily or nicely. Do what you gotta do not because you want to, because you have to and you should.

• That works for obligations, but what about things that are "optional" in every sense of the word. That's the "should" part, I guess.

What Girls Said 2

• I picture the end result and take it day by day. One of my resolutions is about fitness (as I'm sure many are). So I picture what I could look like, what things would be like, how great it would be to get there, etc. And then I think just about the one task, like getting up to work out today. One workout isn't nearly as daunting as thinking about 6 months worth of workouts. I also start slow. After the holidays of bad eating, I don't immediately jump to restrictive, hard dieting. I cut out one or two things, then incorporate more after a week or two.

• So, you'd say that visualizing your goal is your best motivator?

• Yes. I also put pictures up sometimes to remind me. Also the little goals you achieve make it easier to stay motivated, (like for fitness, losing 2 lbs pushes you to lose another two).

• I don't psyche myself up for it and then do maybe one thing every day or two. And just get the unpleasant task over with and not dwell on it after. so for me it's a matter of not thinking about the thing too much before or after. Like I had an exam and I don't think about it (aside from studying), then I take exam, and forget about it.