Fake number? Or I typed it wrong?

Met a girl at a bar on New Years Eve, bought her a drink, suggested we meet again and get coffee sometime.

Tried calling her today, and got the dreaded "the number you have dialed is disconnected or may no longer be in service"

The thing is, I was pretty drunk, and when she was giving me her number she had to correct me once and I put 513 instead of 543. The latter digits were 2583, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I would've gotten wrong but it's very possible...

So my question is, do you think she gave me a fake, or did I mess up her number? She seemed interested in seeing me again so I'm mortified that I might've blown it that stupidly... :(

I found her on Facebook! (Stalker level 40 lol, although she has a unique name which actually made it easy)

Should I message her on there and play it off like I forgot to save her number and lost it? To not appear such a stalker if it was a fake?

84

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe both (fake and mistyped)!

What Girls Said 7

• 2...9? 8 3.

25 18?

Maybe she was drunk too and didn't give you the right number. I don't know but seeing as you don't have the right one maybe its not meant to be you can always post on craigslist for her if you want?

• Heh good idea! done. It's a popular bar spot so I'll just have to keep an eye out for her again, I guess that's the best I can do... She gave the name Kiki which is obviously short for something and makes Facebook useless for finding her.

• One day my college lab got talking about this topic.

All of the girls (and there were a lot!) but me said they would give a fake number before saying no.

They say it's easier and less uncomfortable.

• she was drunk, just say she gave you her Facebook and be like heeey remember

she won't know

• Might as well. Nothing to lose

• Typed it wrong

• I think you mistyped it

• You probably got it wrong

What Guys Said 4

• And another one bites the dust. Join the club.

The numbers sound too predictable and logical to me: 543 is so convenient to come up with, and 2583 also are very cute, as the difference between 2 and 5, 5 and 8, is both 3 (because she couldn't use 11). And begins with an even number which humans are most likely to pick.

It's how the human mind works, when it has to come up with random numbers, it will always make up some sequence or logic behind it. She just rambled a couple of numbers to get rid of you.

Even if you had her correct number, the first time she may pick up, but come up with some stupid excuse that she can't talk right now. The second time you call she won't pick up. I know because this has happened to me when a girl showed me her number on her phone. It was amazing that she did it this way.

Save yourself the text and phone call charges, she won't reply.

• Then why would she correct me when I got 543 wrong? And 543 is actually a valid prefix in the city she's from, either by chance or not.

I've thought about that too but even my own phone numbers sound too sing song to be true; my work number ends in 7890, my home ends in 0121

You're probably right I'm just surprised she'd put in so much effort into giving me a fake; correcting me, telling me to text her my number; why wouldn't she just give me the number, let me write it wrong, and escape?

• Okay, so it's a prefix. She corrected you just to make it seem more legit.

I was also surprised when a girl gave me her real phone number and wasn't interested.

• @update: Yes send her a friend request. Most girls I've known where flattered that I found them when I just knew there first name or nickname. You may still have a shot if she wasn't playing after all.

And in case she was playing you, you will scare her a bit which is always fun. If she doesn't accept she either doesn't remember you or she was indeed playing you.

I love it how most girls think it's a typo, like none of them would mislead a guy this way. Most girls I have met do this.

• That's called "flaking".

You're drunk, and that creeps girls out so they flake to not embarrass you.

She's not interested in you, so move on.

• Not if she's drunk too...

• Thanks, yeah she was at about the same level as me I don't think that was the cause. If I were sober in a bar that'd be more of a red flag no?

• Try seeing where you screwed up.

And for christ's sake, text each other when you are exchanging numbers to make sure it's the right one.

Come on probie!

• Did you meet any of her friends? Ask around, maybe someone else has her number.

• Only in passing; she was with 3 other girls but I don't remember any of their names. I only saw her friends at the very beginning, I seem to recall her being solo most of the night?