Why was he so upset?

I'm 17 and I was involved with an 18 year old guy I met in summer for about 4 months, and he told me a lot that he loved me. About a month ago, we both ran out of phone credit, so he asked me for my email address so we could still contact, and I asked for his back. I started off the emails first, and we emailed almost every day for a few weeks. Then exactly a week before Christmas I replied to one of his emails, but as days went by he didn't reply. I checked every day but assumed that he was just busy and he'd reply again when he had time. On Christmas morning, he still didn't reply but I sent him an email to say Merry Christmas and that I hoped he got everything he wanted.

Then later that day he texted saying his internet service wasn't working so he didn't check his email, and said he had been meaning to call me but time had not been on his side. He then said "you don't call, you don't text and even when I have not inboxed you, you don't even try and make contact. For all I know, you could have left the country, and for all you know, I could have got run over. If this is going to work, then there needs to be commitment from the both of us". I explained that I was trying to keep contact, that I had emailed him to say merry Christmas that morning and I bought him a Christmas present that I wanted to give to him. He then apologized and said he just thought things may be ending as we hadn't called or texted since emailing.

Then yesterday, he brought it up again, and was like "How can you like someone when you just fall out of contact for days? No text, no call, no nothing. One email is all I received from you". But I don't get how he can say that, as he was the one who fell out of contact with me when he didn't reply to my email, and in that week when we didn't contact, he didn't call or text me either. And even if it was just one email, I still did try to make contact with him. Why was he so upset?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't blame you for being confused by his reaction, because he doesn't have any cause to be upset. YOU are the one who made the effort to keep in contact with him. Everything else being equal, not having contact for a week around the holidays is no big deal. But his reaction was really immature. He SHOULD apologize. Don't let him hold this over your head as if you did something wrong, because you didn't.

What Guys Said 1

• Tell him to stop whining and being so clingy.

What Girls Said 3

• It sounds like there was a bit of a misunderstanding on his part. It sounds like he thinks you don't like him as much as he likes you. Maybe give him some reassurance and an apology for not calling (even if you think your right it really doesn't matter at this point) and make arrangements to contact another way in cases like this so it doesn't happen again. Though he really should have called YOU and let you know his internet was down lol oh well life goes on.

• ASk him why he didn't text/call you!

Turn it around on him! The phone goes both ways!

• Why did you go anonymous on this one but left your other question a few lines down open? Lol. Anyway, it seems like he may want to break up; like he is getting cold feet. In a relationship you don't have to call every day, but sometimes it helps people feel more secure. Ah, next time and tell him this too, if you want to talk contact me no matter what. Same goes for you, if you are thinking about him feel free to call or email. Don't just wait on him. Take some initiative.