Girl says to me: You are the quietest black girl I ever met?

Why would someone say this?

I'm black and she is black. Are black girls not supposed to be quiet?

54

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone would say this because...

1. They are not intelligent enough to realize that not all black girls miracuously have identical personalities.

2. They have hardly been around many black people and assume that we somehow all are loud. Her being black, this probably means she's from the hood and doesn't know of many black people outside of the hood.

People like that are a pain in the ass especially if they are black themself. She sounds like the type of black girl who promotes and encourages ugly stereotypes. The same stereotypes that reinforce the idea that black people aren't sh*t. She needs to wake up!

What Guys Said 4

• The stereotype is that they are loud and obnoxious, so that's why she said it.

• So inorder to be black one must be loud obnoxious?

• All Races are Loud, but yeah Most Black Girls I've known like making Loud Public scenes.

• From the black girls I have seem most of them were very loud so they were probably surprised one was not loud. It's fine to be black and quiet. It's just the way you act doesn't matter if your black or white

• There is a stereotype that black women are loud and obnoxious. Like any stereotype, there is a bit of truth in it. It goes along with the head waggle and finger point up into the air.

• So it's bad not to be a walking stereotype?

• No, I think it's very good. :)

What Girls Said 4

• well black women are ''supposed'' to be strong,independent, aggressive,and yes-often loud. that's why it's such a rare thing for black women to be cast as innocent,quiet or shy. on one hand,this stereotype is good because it encourages independence and portrays black women as strong-but,it's nevertheless-a stereotype,and is like any other one-unfair. not everyone is the same,not everyone fits into the same box,but still,the box is what everyone notices.

• Well I'm innocent, quiet, and shy. So, is this girl saying I'm not black?

• no,people just tend to say stupid things. if she'd really thought about it-she'd realize that it's normal for someone to be quiet no matter their race,but she chose to voice a thought clouded with preconceived notions

• She obviously believes in stereotypes if she thinks you should act a certain way according to your race. She seems a bit uneducated and not knowledgeable of the fact that your race does not determine how you are or how you act.

• Yes, she is uneducated.

• Stereotypically black girls are out and obnoxious

I'm typically reserved and quiet until I get comfortable but I'm not loud/obnoxious. I've been told the same.

• So they were saying that you aren't black?

• Well they're friends who tell me this...most of my friends are Hispanic but they're loud and obnoxious too

• It's stupid stereotypes