Do you still live with your parents?(dependent)

could be economics. It could be cultural. But is it healthy? We’re talking about living at home with your parents as an adult. Doesn’t there come a stage and age when we should all flee the nest? Or does it make more sense to keep the family together and share the cost and the labour of running a home? We were promted to think about this because of a new report published here in Britain —The “Social Trends” survey for 2009. It found that almost a third of men and a fifth of women aged between 20 and 34 now live at home with their parents. Do you live in culture where it would be considered inappropriate to move out of the family home before you are married?

44

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, kinda. They're both quite old and senile, so I've kept them in the attic for the past several years. I guess it would be more accurate to say that they live with me.

What Guys Said 3

• The only thing that has prevented me from being on my own is my financial situation. I love my family and all, but yes, I'd like to get the f*** out, have a place of my own and start my life. Unfortunately, I can't.

• I'm currently independent financially but living with my mum since I've been helping her out in the difficult situation she's been in for quite a long time. As soon as I graduate which is next year and she's OK, I'll move out.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm 20 and I'm moving out of my parents' house this summer. My 22 year old brother is also here and has no immediate plans to move out.

I do think people should live on their own a while before getting married. I've lived in college dorms before, which isn't exactly independent, but it is much different from living at home. You're buying your own food, you're in charge of staying on top of your work and keeping your space clean, and you have the freedom of coming and going as you please. It was definitely a growing up experience for me, and I'm sure that living in an apartment and being in charge of my rent and expenses will also be a growing up experience. I think everyone could benefit from it.

• No, it's not inappropriate here in Portugal. They live with their parents because they're finishing their studies but there are many other reasons for that.

• It's not healthy. You can't grow up if your'e still around parents

• I don't live with my parents. But I'm still dependent on them to take me places and I'm still under their health insurance. Till I get my own, hope it's soon!