A question for English speakers

Is it correct to say "where are my wife and kids" or "where is my wife and kids"? I've heard both so I don't know which is correct.

63

Most Helpful Girl

• "Jack Bauer asks a few times "where's my wife and daughter" and it got me confused 'cause I thought it should be "where are my wife and daughter""

You're correct, it should be "where are".

"Where's" is a contraction of "Where is". Technically, the contraction for "Where are" is "Where're". However, "Where're" is kind of awkward to say and personally, I've never heard/seen anyone use "Where're". People would normally just say, "Where are", since the "Where are" and "Where're" sound almost identical and you aren't really saving any time by using the contraction.

In an informal conversation, if you used "Where's my wife and kids?", I don't think many native English speakers would really notice the fact that it's technically incorrect. I've heard many people use "Where's" this way. In a formal setting (for example, if you're writing for school or your job), you should probably use "Where are".

What Girls Said 5

• "Where are my wife and kids." "Where is my wife" would be correct, but you can't use is for a plural subject.

• I believe should be "where are" and not "where is". Are is plural. You wondering where both your wife and kids are, so you should say are. Is is singular. If you were just wondering where your wife was, you'd say is.

• That's what I thought. I'm just watching the first season of the "24" show (please no spoilers) and Jack Bauer asks a few times "where's my wife and daughter" and it got me confused 'cause I thought it should be "where are my wife and daughter".

• ARE. because your talking about more than one person(a group of people)

• "Where are my wife and kids?" is the correct one.

• "where are my wife and kids" is correct because "are" is plural.

What Guys Said 3

• I read some of the answers & a comment of yours.

Where are my wife & daughter is correct. Where is my wife & daughter is not.

Now getting into contractions "where's my wife and daughter" is also OK. You are correct in thinking the contraction means "where is" but used as a contraction it's OK. "where's my wife & daughter?"

I hear that's one of the many reasons English is so hard to learn. Especially in America we have so many idioms.

Where are my keys? or Where's my keys is also OK. Although it means where is my keys where's is still OK. You are better off using the correct grammar.

Take England for example. If you told someone were going to do something they may respond with "that's brilliant" meaning, good idea. In America that would be an insult. Something along the lines of "Yes idiot" of course that's the thing to do.

I have noticed that people who speak English as a 2nd language usually don't use contractions. I can understand why.

• Where are my wife and kids.

• Where are my wife and kids. You are talking about more than one person. More than one = Are