How can I become black & proud?

I want to stop being a quote on quote, 'tragic mulatto'

I want to begin ignoring my mothers side(Hispanic) and only identify with my fathers side(black). I'm going to cut off all ties with my mom's side of the family, unlearn Spanish(even though I'm fluent) and stop eating all Latin American dishes, especially Mexican.

How can I become black and proud and stop being a tragic mulatto?shall I wear a daishiki? Shall I cut off my hair, somehow comb it into an afro and join an African American organization? What are the steps?

serious answers please. no hate.

I have been told many times on this site by well-educated, African American women that I am a tragic mulatto who is self-hating. So please, give me advice. no hate

109

Most Helpful Guy

• LOL

Ok noto nly is the question funny. But I actually google it and wikihow has a 9 step process for you LMAO:

link

What Guys Said 8

• Hey I am about to have a little mixed baby! Be proud! :) You get the best of both worlds, you inherit Hispanic culture (which itself is a mix of local indigenous and Spanish) + black culture + English/western culture since it pervades the earth.

Basically the whole planet is your oyster and you are free to embrace all of it! :)

Now if only you could find an Asian husband your children could rely be able to lay claim the the four corners of the earth ;)

(BTW I saw the quote from the lady that made you snap) ;)

I have no idea how to be black although I would like to "go bush" in Australia and connect with the aborigines who I consider my brothers because we share the land, regardless of what anyone thinks about my white skin.

• You see I was going to give you constructive advice, but your sarcastic and flippant tone and attitude disappointed me. If you can identify and understand black culture and are truly comfortable and happy being labelled black then that is enough. You don't have have to follow stereotypes and other common mannerisms, but if an opportunity comes to support or defend your black ancestry and culture and you do it because you want too instead of being obligated then you are black

• Why unlearn Spanish? Its good to be bilingual. Don't wear a daishiki. That's just silly lol. Just look to how far black people have come over the years and find some pride in that. You don't need to join an organization to be proud of who you are. Just remember that being proud of who you are doesn't require you to hate a part of you that you wish was not there (ie. The Spanish side)

• Why not embrace it? You could have the best of both worldss. I am half Italian and half Irish. I wish that I could do more to odentify with my Irish side because my family eats, and interacts more with the Italian side of the family. Besides both cultures and races are what made you, and you can't just deny it. Also I think that being mixes makes a person more intersting.

• What's with how blacks have their identity so strongly linked to their race? Why not link your pride and identity to *you* and *your* accomplishments and *your* family? Like in the Odyssey. Odysseus was even offered immortality, but declined it, because it would have destroyed his identity--his identity rested in Ithaca, with his family, and with his accomplishments. He wasn't obsessed over his race.

• Another sarcastic post I presume?

Like the other anon said, maybe time away from this website would do you good. People are going to talk straight up BS 90% of the time, why bother trying to put negative comments in the spotlight.

• It's probably an easy 1-step process: leave this site.

Apparently if you aren't "one of them", then you see them as house negros.

• I was indeed also called a house negro, recently. For I must darken my skin and rid myself of 'mixed' genes, despite the fact that I'm not even part white...

• Wear green and yellow caps and stick it to da man.

What Girls Said 10

• You seem like you're joking and it's completely disrespectful to both of your ethnicities

• I mean I don't think you necessarily need to do all this lol. It should be enough just to identify more with your fathers side. But it also really doesn't matter Hispanic or Latino you both still have black lineage to start them so just if you call yourself Hispanic that's embracing more of the white heritage. So it's just up to what you want to call yourself more. I'm black, I know I have a lot of different heritage in my family, but I'm brown skin so of course I say I'm black. Why I'm so proud to be black I'm greatful to my parents and other family members that we actually take time to learn, talk, and research our history of what great people we are. As well as I have a lot of mixed friends and they'll tell anyone their black in a minute they don't cut of times with their other side either. We're all comfortable in who we are as people promoting the black experience lol. You yourself should understand it's not so much of trying to identify with one group you just have to be comfortable in who you are as an individual. Being a certain ethnicity doesn't soley make you who you are.

• Your acerbic 'wit' accomplishes nothing.

I think you're tragic but hey...that's just my opinion.

And of course, no hate.

-take note from the answer with the most upvotes

• If a well-educated person refers to you as a "tragic mulatto," their education didn't get them very far.

• It really isn't that serious. Honestly though, maybe if you'd stop mentioning your race in your posts people will stop with the attacks. I have European ancestry as well but I don't talk about it every chance I get. It isn't anything to get worked up over IMO.

• Just be proud to be you. You can't un-do who you are, so embrace who you are and be proud and love yourself others around you will appreciate it as well.

• That's pretty extreme.

If you wear a daishiki, please take a picture.

• Move to Africa and never return. Stay there and learn their language.

Jumbo!

• you being self hating only hurts you. continue being a mixed girl who wishes she looked white and chases after white guys who think she's a 5 compared to the hot blondes of the world.

• You sound pretty insecure. I guess I should dump my white boyfriend to prove my blackness, huh? lmao

• What an emotional tirade. Why not ask the people who told you that? I think there's one below me but it seems you didn't want an explanation. So I can only conclude that the purpose of this question is to get people to agree with you so you can feel better about yourself. Hey, isn't that a line from your book?!

• Um, how exactly would a question like this make me feel better about myself? no one really knows how to respond to this because clearly I'm not being serious

• I never said that no one could tell you weren't be sarcastic. The sarcasm is pretty obvious as well, but that doesn't mean that you're not trying seek some sort of confirmation so you could feel better about yourself, and many people took the bait. Congrats!

• You were unable to explain how exactly this would lead to any confirmation. There's a difference between when I point out someone's obvious bias (Guys, chubby girl or stick thin girl?") and this. Some did take this seriously then realized later what I meant. No one on here has complimented me. You failed at whatever point you thought you were trying to prove