Why won't guys admit when they need a doctor or hospital?

My boyfriend and dad are like that. Right now my boyfriend has been getting really bad headaches and bloody noses for about a week. He makes a major deal out of it so I say he needs to get it checked . He says no it will pass always does. So is avoiding the doctor or hospital a guy thing?

29

Most Helpful Guy

• Like many guys, unless I'm losing an alarming amount of blood, a spectacularly-broken bone, or am in the most extreme pain, I'm not going to a hospital. Hospitals are full of SICK people with all kinds of nasty stuff, and despite standards to mitigate that, which are not always given enough attention to, in most cases, you're better off staying home.

I miss fewer sick days than almost anyone, and is rare that I take even Tylenol or Advil. My life is nearly pill-free, and I'm healthier as a result.

80+% of your "treatment" is going to be getting prescribed a pill. While some *do* have a place, the medical system is rigged so that it's in the doctor's benefit to give patients some pills and send them on their way, even if they don't really need them. And patients have been programmed to ask for and expect to be given pills for any little thing that bothers them. No thank you.

Just dealing with an Emergency waiting room is usually worse than the illness itself. Hospitals are finally being dragged into the 21st century with records and billing, but there's still a long way to go, and right now, it's chaos.

In almost every case, I'm better off with some orange juice and soup at home.

What Guys Said 8

• There could be a number of reasons for this. Some guys may feel that it will make them seem weak and not manly if they have to go to the hospital to get checked out. Really it seems more irresponsible than anything but some guys may just be strait up dumb. More likely the first one. Also hospital waiting rooms are hell so unless its really serious then it may just be better to take care of it at home

• As a firefighter/ EMT myself, I've noticed a certain hesitation on the part of men when confronted with going to the hospital - even after things like car accidents. Some men who subscribe to the "macho" worldview (total BS in my opinion btw) think that it's showing "weakness" to see a doctor or admit they have a problem with their bodies - especially to a woman they're involved with. If you're genuinely worried, have a mutual guy friend talk to your boyfriend about getting it checked out. I'm not able to give any kind of accurate checkout of a person I haven't seen personally, but from the symptoms you described it could be something along the lines of a sinus infection (this is a guess, and I'm NOT a doctor). It's definitely a good idea to get those looked at, maybe get a baseline MRI just to be on the safe side.

• I suppose because most of the time we think ourselves healthy enough for things to resolve themselves. At least, that's what it was for me. Also, for some people the medical expenses can be quit overwhelming, which only reinforces my first point...we HOPE we are healthy enough they resolves on their own. Another reason might be because nowadays, people can google their symptoms and think they can diagnose themselves, further eliminating the need to see a costly doctor.

• It may be because he wants to show that he's strong and is able to heal the disease without any outside help. Going to a hospital or visiting a doctor would be deemed as weakness.

Or perhaps, he's just financially tight so he doesn't want to make a big deal out of things.

• There are two kinds of ailments:

1. Those you go to the hospital for

2. Those you don't.

In a man's mind, it's very simple.

They're not "not admitting" they need to go to a hospital, they are saying they are not going to the hospital. They feel they don't need to go to a hospital. They don't agree with you.

For women, it's more complex, but actually more simple.

There are two kinds of ailments:

1. Those you go to the hospital for

2. Those you go to the hospital for, and get told it's nothing, but still get a prescription.

The other side of your question would be:

Why are women always worried they've got some disease or illness?

• Not necessarily. My mother rarely goes to the hospital, and she is almost 60 years old. As a guy, I don't mind going to the hospital. My only problem with it is the copayment, where I have to pay $15 just for a routine checkup. $15 may not seem like much, but it adds up after a while, especially along with the cost of the medicine that I have to buy.

• I have to be dying or in excruciating pain for me to go to a hospital

• stupid ego is going to get him killed

What Girls Said 2

• They don't want to show their weakness

• Yeah, it is a guy thing. They want to feel like they are not sensitive that they are manly enough to survive by their own. Guys have big egos sometimes.