If the universal gift for a woman is flowers, what is the gift for a man?

And don't say sex, because everybody likes sex.

Of course, I recognize that not all women like flowers.Personally, I can live without them. But, of course, I still really like receiving them. Same goes for teddy bears and jewelry. Normally I don't care much for either, but if a guy gives me them it's great.

I've no doubt it's just assimilation to a social norm.

But it seems like every woman and man knows the secret code to relationships. Flowers are the safe presents. The standard first date, anniversary, any day "I know how to treat a lady" gift.

Well, what is that "norm" for men?

If it is customary for men to give women flowers, what do women give men? What is the "safe" present, the first-date gift, the surefire "hey, I care about you" gift to give a man?

Does it exist?

Seriously guys, I mean anything nonsexual.

What do men like to receive from women as a token of appreciation?

610

Most Helpful Guy

• The closest to what you're asking is either cooking for us or trying our hobbies. We're not materialistic and don't really want you to buy us stuff.

The universal gift for men is sex, different kinds of it. If you want to look past that, it's one of the other two. There's nothing else that can be generalized unless you consider "hobby specific gifts" general.

What Guys Said 9

• Toulouse in her answer makes a pretty good point about things being different in the distant past.

However, to answer your question in its relevance to present-day Americana (as opposed to the nature of gender), I think the gift is...

Nothing. Men are not really that relevant. The news goes wild when a young girl is killed, but says almost nothing about a young boy (despite both being equally defenseless at that age relative to any kind of predator).

Culturally, I think, we're just not that important. We're all sex crazed, out of touch with our emotions, and useful only for breeding and fighting in wars (especially if someone needs to do the dying part).

• @Nothing. Men are not really that relevant...

I hope you're being facetious.

• Nothing. Men don't expect to receive purchased items from women to show their interest or love. This isn't to suggest women are greedy or anything because I think for many women, and certainly women in love, it really is the thought that counts.

A woman might make something or cook something.

Longer term, sex really is what many men want, but it's not 'just sex' which as you say 'everyone likes'. Much like with a gift (even flowers) knowig her tastes or colors she likes shoes his caring, what makes men feel cared for is 'special sex' where you went out of yor way to make it extra good for him. Whether that's more focus on him, a special outfit, some fantasy, etc.

• Sex. Or blowjobs, and I don't think everyone likes it. Maybe every guy does.

• Video games, a movie, or nothing at all.

• Nothing. I've never heard of a female to male equivalent to flowers. When valintines say ads were going I only heard of one f to m gift and that was "ky" stuff so its part of sex (unless you use it for your "special alone time")

• agirl who will look past my ugliness

• Sorry, but the answer is definitely blowjobs. For a "first-date" gift, it'd be a kiss that says "I'm into you in and not in a 'just friends' way along with saying you really want to do this again. By date 3 or 4, long, luxurious, indulgent head can't be beat. . .

• Sex

• Gift-giving is very much a man-to-woman thing. It's all a part of survival of the fittest. A man proves by gift-giving that he is able to provide for the woman, and thereby becomes attractive to that woman, who needs to provide for her future/current offspring. Of course, people don't consciously think this way. But, it's a pretty obviously identifiable unconscious desire.

In other words, most men don't expect big gifts from women. And there is certainly no universal gift.

What Girls Said 6

• Steak and Blowjobs

• Ever heard about steak and blowjob day? If you leave out the blowjob, you can still make him a good steak. I once bought a maxipack of beer for my ex and he was very happy :). Of course a blowjob still beats anything, but apparently you don't want to talk about that. No way around it though...

• To answer. it would depend on the guy.just like not all women like flowers and probably like them less because there's no thought involved getting someone what they are supposed to like-bc that's what 'their kind' likes.

get ihm what you know hell appreciate.

if you don't know him well enough to know that, the gift is fake anyways. about as fake as getting a bunch of flowers when u've never mentions _liking_ flowers.

• its not universal. its cultural and relative... women used to give men flowers. men used to wear feathers and high heels.

theres no way flowers is at all comparable to penetration. if guys are giving flowers to get sex, its a ruse.

• Yes toulouse, I was being facetious and exaggerating. There is a little whisper of truths in there, though. :)

• Food

• I always figured nothing. They never say they want anything.