What are your thoughts on the English language?

What do you think of it? How is it compared to other languages? Do you think English will die out anytime soon?

1414

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think English sounds as good as most other European languages, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than most middle eastern and African languages. It sounds about as good as most Asian languages. So basically I would say that it's in the middle.

Besides how it sounds, I really like English. We have a lot more ways to say things than other languages do, which makes reading and writing a lot more interesting and diverse.

I definitely don't think English will die out anytime soon. If anything, it would be the last language to die out. English is the international trade language and it is the most widely spoken language in the world. I don't see it dying out for a very long time.

What Girls Said 13

• Die out soon-no

what do I think-boring, it's only beautiful when a person who has mastered it manipulates it

comparisons-better than a lot out there but it's really confusing at times. Still it's less confusing than say French (which kills beginners with the spelling) and I guess easier to speak that say Russian.

Easier to read than Japanese and Mandarin or pinyin. I like the adjective set up better than Spanish.

• I feel it's very simple compared to other languages.

And no, I don't think it would die out soon.

• Mm, I like it because it allows me to communicate with a lot more people than I would of been able to otherwise.

However I much prefer other languages, Italian (which I speak fluently) along with French and Spanish as they are both really beautiful languages.

Might be a bit bias since they are also romance languages and thus are similar-ish to Italian.

• I like it and feel somehow more comfortable with it than with other languages I learn.

And it's quite logical.

• English isn't dying out anytime soon. It's the international language of trade and technology. It is literally the standardized language of the planet with effectively every country being able to speak it.

• I think the British need to discover the wonders of floss, a toothbrush and Colgate

But I'm happy that I speak English without an accent, although people on here have told me I sound southern...

nah, English won't die out. Language is a uniting factor which is why I do believe it should be the official language of the US.

sonrisa colgate

• I like it and I don't think it will die out any time soon.

• I love it and prefer it over the other two languages I can speak fluently.

• It's boring

• I think it's silly

• it's boring, I want to learn Italian:)

• I think it's quite (in my opinion) difficult to pin-point what the English language is as a whole since there are so many borrowed words from other languages, as we all know, French, Latin and German etc

I think the evolution of the English language will just continue to shape and grow as it has through history. Some words are forgotten and some are changed and some are added. Also it depends on where it is being spoken and in what accent which will define, in the future, what English morph into.

• English won't die out any time soon, but things like technology as well as American English have meant that some words have come obsolete.

I mean I'm English, and every day you here words that are borrowed from American but used in our country, and this is due to the media I think.

Take the word guy for example.

In England, this website would probably be called girls ask boys, which is why I was puzzled when I first used this site to find people over 20 used it to! So language is a funny thing, but English is the business language of the world, and from friends from other nationalities, its also the easiest to learn to.

RP is dying out though

• Its already died

YOLO

LOL

LMAO

ROTFLMAO

BRB

JK

HMI...

In all seriousness I think its an interesting language. I definitely wouldn't want to learn it if I had grown up knowing another language. Some things are still confusing to me and I've grown up with it and spent years in school learning about it.

• dead you mean and those aren't words those are acronyms

• If you are going to take time to correct my error(s) at least form a proper sentence. Yes those are acronyms and they are all I ever see anymore. Add to that people are always spelling things without a letter or two. For example people say, "Wat" or "Tks".

Its kind of slipping away to something really sloppy but I don't think it will ever die out. I used to be one of those people and I'm humane so I obviously make mistakes. But at least I try...

• human*

What Guys Said 14

• Man that's a loaded question, but to be short and sweet about it the only two languages left standing in the next hundred years will be Chinese and English.

• For the people that say it is not going anywhere because so many people speak it, take into consideration that the English language gets contaminated in an incredibly fast rate. Oversimplified, internationalised and turned into a mix language in every non-Anglo-saxon country. BECAUSE it is spoken by so many people. It may evolve swiftly into a mongrel language leaving modern day English behind.

Which doesn't matter, all languages come and go, the same can be said for contemporary Dutch.

• I guess not too much seeing as it's my first language. It's much easier to read than Latin for me. It's not likely to die out anytime soon because it places so high in the world as a second language learned.

• English has never been more popular. The whole world wants to learn English since the internet has become dominant. English will always change with culture and sub-cultures will always have their own glossary of words. New words will emerge. Old words will morph or die. But English will continue to boom in popularity.

• English is the most spoken language in the world... its not going anywhere

• It better not, I failed my French GCSE for a reason xD

To quote Red Vs Blue:

"We're gonna teach the alien to speak English."

"Maybe you should try learning his language"

"F*ck that, we're teaching him the Earth language!"

"But there's thousands of languages spoken on Earth!"

"Yeah, but only one that kicks ass!"

• Its obviously not going to die out. The richest countries in the world use English, that dictates how many people will be using it. English will probably just keep becoming the standard.

• No it won't die out but I think its a very sloppy language. Its all I speak.

• Too much grammar and sh*t...

• yea dude it will probably die out 2morrow

• It's not going to die out any time soon, that's for sure. It doesn't sound as good as most languages spoken in Europe, but it has other advantages, like popularity. Most English speakers have this idea that English is more complicated or that it is more diverse, while in reality, it's one of the simpler languages out there. Finnish, Hungarian, all Slavic languages for example, are far more complicated and have more ways of saying things than English, making English quite simple in comparison.

• Nothing special really since I grew up speaking it and listening to it my entire life. Chances of dying out? Extremely low.

• The English language was invented by monkeys. Now Chinese is where it's at plus you get to draw a neat little design for each word. I'm white & I only speak chink. Gangsta's not too bad but you got to be pretty high to understand it & pissed to the gills to speak it. ????