What to say in traffic court?

A few weeks ago I was in a car accident, it was 100% my fault, the police officer gave me a ticket for disobeying a traffic signal but told me that the other people seemed to be pretty nice and if I didn't pay the ticket off I'd get a court date, and if I went to court and no one showed up (he told me 90% of the time no one shows up) that I wouldn't have to pay the ticket and the accident wouldn't go against my record. So the question is, When I go, if no one shows up, what should I say, will I have to say anything? If people show up, then what would I say? If it makes a difference I'm from Illinois and I don't have a lawyer

Technically for the most part all of you were wrong lol, I showed up, waited my turn, and then told the judge "not guilty" he then asked if anyone in the room was in the accident with me and when no one responded he told me the case was thrown out. no ticket fee, and it wouldn't go on my driving record

34

Most Helpful Guy

• There's not really much to say IF the other people don't show. There is no one there to accuse you of any guilt.

If asked just say that all damages have been paid by my insurance.

What Girls Said 3

• 0|0
  • I'm not familiar with the standard, but I was in traffic court for speeding and never got the chance to say anything besides accepting the ticket (versus disputing it). There were 4 other people in there for speeding tickets with me and the one guy who decided to say a bunch of sh*t wasn't really received well, haha. I think respectful and quiet is most appreciated. I wouldn't get my hopes up about somehow getting out of responsibility for something I did do. I find it weird that a police officer would encourage that.

• you probably should talk to a lawyer...someone at court will instruct you where to go when you arrive, and how to proceed but they won't tell you how to answer

What Guys Said 3

• You just might want to get a traffic lawyer for this. I got one for $150 and it saved me a bundle. The People's Republic of Illinois is not like Mayberry.

BTW, I think the cop was telling you he was not planning to show up to oppose you in court.

• Just because 90% of the time nobody shows up doesn't mean that these people won't show up. If they seem like nice people, then they are probably responsible people who show up on time. Also, where did this police officer get his statistics from? The media. The records? Experience?

No law enforcement should encourage not paying tickets. You might be able to get off, but how would you feel if other people could get away with paying tickets at will? What happened to this country? If nobody payed traffic tickets, then how would law enforcement get paid? Would taxpayers money go there?

Do the right thing if you are brave enough. Own up to your fault. Sometimes telling the truth is greater than telling a lie. It makes you admired.

• DONT PUT ME IN JAIL.