Have you ever met culture shock when you went abroad ?

plz write in detail ,thanks ^^

d

42

Most Helpful Guy

• Certainly, more than once

The first time I went to Morocco

The time I went to Yucatan and I met people knowing no Spanish there.

The time I went to Egypt

The time I went to Tunisia during Ramadan and got hitchiking on my own until I met Bedouins, 110 mi into the Sahara.

• thank you but could you give me more details about your culture shock because I want to make culture shock as a topic and show them to others .

• dude,thank you so much

• oops, typo :-$ hitchHiking

What Girls Said 4

• I definitely did when I moved to Japan. It's a lot more congested and busy here than what I was used to.

Customs were pretty easy to pick up on, but the language barrier definitely made everyday things more difficult. I had never used a public transportation system before moving here either which was a bit of an adventure...and of course the food is very different. Even when going to an "Italian" restaurant, it's not the same as what I would expect in the states (everything has still been delicious though!).

Also it was astounding to me some of the clothes women wear here- very short shorts, skirts, visible thigh highs-things that back in the states would be viewed as "slutty". Here shoulders and arms are always covered, and deemed as more "sexual" than showing legs...I found it odd how common it is to see 8 year old girls running around in short-shorts and over the knee stockings as a norm.

Oh and McDonalds here doesn't suck. They actually make your food with love and pride...Life is very very different here :)

• Outside of the US, I've only been to Mexico and I live in California and there wasn't much difference except all the Mexicans there could speak English while a fair few of the ones here can't. I thought that it was ironic that I had to use Spanish at the local swap meet but not in Ensenada.

I do get major culture shock whenever I go to NYC, though. Everyone there is so grumpy and they always ask me what's so funny because it's typical for people that live where I live to smile a lot.

• I have. I've had it happen twice. Currently, I live in South Korea. I started to get culture shock at around the five month mark. I resented everything about Korea and I missed home and the comfort of American culture. Now, I'm fine, but that period opened my eyes up to how things are better or worse in all countries. There is no perfect place and we are ALL human.

• When I was in the uk for my study, I went clubbing with friends and didn't realize that British were out of control once they got drunk, they acted totally stupid and started the fight out of no where! Girls were just acting like a trash lying on the street and fu*cking around with other guys!

What Guys Said 1

• I was constantly shocked by the way people acted back home. Now that I live in another country, I'm not so shocked anymore.