Is the yolk in eggs okay to eat or not?

So my question is...is the yolk in eggs okay to eat or not?

I've looked it up in various sites and although so say its bad because of the yolk, other sites say it constrains the good cholesterol.

423

Most Helpful Guy

• While the yolk holds cholesterol (which clogs the body) it is also holds the vitamins in eggs. As long as your cholesterol levels are not high and you do not have to watch them, the egg yolk is fine to consume. Overall eggs are a healthy meal. Too much of anything is somewhat bad for the body... Factors also depend on the persons diet and health level.

What Guys Said 22

• Cholesterol isn't the plague it's made out to be. Lipitor-- a drug that lowers your cholesterol, does not decrease your chance of heart disease. Ergo, cholesterol does not cause heart disease.

Equally, egg yolks are not bad for you. It's a long portrayed myth/exaggeration/misunderstanding. Plenty of bodybuilders (and fitness models-- for better aesthetic examples of health) eat whole eggs daily. I myself have gone months eating hard boiled eggs daily and seen good strength gains in my workouts, as well as cardiovascular improvement (contrary to this idea that cholesterol would negatively effect my hearts condition).

History and research has proven time and time again, health is about fitness. Those who exercise daily are much healthier than anyone else. Take for instance NFL linemen, They are obese. They have extremely high cholesterol. But during their NFL careers, they have extremely healthy hearts with low heart disease rates. Contrary to popular belief that obesity and cholesterol will kill you. However, when they go into retirement, it's been reported their heart disease risks become extremely high. This is because they're not exercising daily, so their heart is not being forced to pump large amounts of blood and open up their arteries.. this becomes problematic when you're obese, because eventually your arteries will get clogged up. So in all actuality, obesity doesn't cause heart disease.. But rather, obesity + lack of exercise, causes heart disease.

As long as you're not eating poison or allergens, your heart will be healthy as long as you workout daily. With that said, macronutrition and micronutrition do exist, and they do have proven benefits if eaten in proper amounts. So don't think this an excuse to eat abnormally large proportions or starve, but rather a reminder that "bad" foods, like GMOS, "junk food", processed food and the lot, are not what the uneducated internet media paints them out to be. There use to be a time when people actually thought eating fats (macronutrition) made them fat! That's why there are so many 0g fat labels on food products. It's sad how easily people are manipulated into believing conspiracies about their food and how it's going to destroy them in some over exaggerated instantaneous, or silent killer, type manner.

• I highly doubt is BAD, I am 27 and been having eggs (with yolk of course) for breakfast almost daily since starting puberty, I LOVE them and it is the single edible thing I consume the most, went to my usual checkup in January and I'm fine, my cholesterol is on the lower side, but yes, you should be careful as to how your body reacts, I guess it is like milk, it is GREAT as long as you are not lactose intolerant, for instance, on my moms side of the family there is NOT A SINGLE CASE of high blood preassure, if anything some of the women have LOW preassure and need (like my grandma) to eat a chocolate often, or to eat more salt, I know, it is weird :P on my dads side my granpa has a little higher preassure but it ius under control even if he does not eat that healty.

like all good thing in life, just do it moderately :) and don't just trust X or Y rule or theory, you try something and see how YOU react to it.

I don't know about yolks, but I know other example, oils for cooking, seems like coconut oil has been demonized on the journals but for what I know, yes it is trans fat, but of SHORT chain and thus EASIER to diggest (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I try to read but chemistry is not really my thing :P) my aunt use it a lot, mainly because it doesn't spoil easily, but it is apparently healty and at least has been for us.

• People argue so much about the nutritional values of eggs, more specifically the yolks.

"Cholesterol, healthy, fatty, exercise, LDL, balanced diet blah blah blah"

People will argue forever about this, so I say, if you like the taste of egg yolks, then have them! Let others worry and avoid it, I for sure am going to continue eating them!

MD5.

• Egg yolks are high in cholesterol and a diet high in the "bad" cholesterol can harm you. See link Cholesterol can cause plaque to build up in the arteries, restricting their ability to pass blood. Definitely dangerous. See link Notice that both of those sites are medical sites, not advertisements for medicine or the mythical misinformation a couple of people on here have stated.

Other things come into play as to how strongly it affects you, such as genetics and whether you have diabetes, but even without the risk factors, too much egg yolk in your diet can definitely harm you. And yes, too much of anything can be bad, but as the Mayo Clinic link tells us, two egg yolks in one day can put a healthy person over the recommended limit. It is even worse for someone with the risk factors. Also, averages over a short time make a difference. For instance for a healthy person, a couple of eggs every two day would not likely be a problem. BUT, remember that you are ingesting cholesterol from other sources. So you would have to watch everything else you need extra closely if you eat the max on egg yolks.

Talk to your physician for answers specific to your health.

• Eggs are one of those things that people bitterly disagree on whether they are dangerous or super healthy in large amounts.

Maybe we will know for sure in 200 years.

Personally I eat a couple eggs a day. I am more confident that thigs like eggs, meat, vegetables fruit and milk are good for me then any processed crap. Eggs are kind of a standard thing for animals to eat in nature.

• The yolk contains all the nutrients you need, although high in colesterol, it would not pose a problem unless you suffer with a high colesterol, and the white contains all the protein, so really, eggs are very good for you, especially in numbers. I eat about 6 eggs a day as a healthy balanced diet.

• The yolk has cholesterol, so many people think you should avoid it. Research however has shown that eating cholesterol does not actually raise your cholesterol, like people think it does.

• The yolk contains highly concentrated nutrition, and a lot of both good' and 'bad' fat.

Most authorities say you should limit how many you eat in a day; others disagree. It probably depends on your life style, and how much nutrition you need, at what stage of your life. Some people separate out the yolks and only eat the egg whites...

Still, most people eat them routinely their whole lives without major ill effects.

• I used to eat it daily for breakfast

not alone of course, but in addition

to other good stuff, and I know others

who does so as well ^.~

• IMO egg yolks are just fine to eat...dietary cholesterol alone doesn't raise LDL in the bodies of those in good to average health.

Plus it feels wasteful taking protein content out of my food and throwing it in the garbage :-P

• peace.love.couture is correct.

There are also benefits to egg yolks.

As with everything in life, moderation is the key.

• The overall compromise view is, yolk isn't as bad as initially believed.

What I do if I eat an omelette I take out half the yolks.

• The yolk is fine.

• I've been eating that stuff all my life

..I have experienced slight health problems from overdosing sugary stuff, from taking too much garlic, drinking too much acidic drinks (coca-cola for example), taking alcohol but I've never ever had any problems at all from eggs and yolk

• Yolks are healthy, but they are fattening, which is not good if you want to lose weight.

I say eat them, but in moderation, if you are looking to lose weight.

Like if you're making three eggs, use one egg yolk and throw the other 2 out.

• how are egg yolks 'fattening'? ...one egg is 80 calories and pretty filling, and a calorie is a calorie so really in terms of weight an 80 calorie egg or 80 calorie cookie would not make a difference.

• of course they contain fat, but that doesn't mean they're fattening :p. eating an egg won't make someone more prone to gain weight..

• no individual food makes anyone more prone to gaining weight. but those who want to lose weight should eat more whites and less yolks.

• It's okay to eat.. It is high in cholesterol, but it is safe to eat.

• It's perfectly fine to eat the yolk.

• i eat 10 whole eggs a day, I think you will survive

• Eggs are good for you, and have lots of protein :)

• the yolk is where all the cholesterol is.

• For millions of years that people eat eggs, there's no single report that they died because of eating its yolk.

• actually, I read about a guy that died because poison was injected into the yolk of an egg :)

• If you eat 20 a day I think you might have an issue. I eat them but it is not a main staple of my diet.

What Girls Said 4

• The yolk is the part of the egg that has cholesterol

Egg whites have absolutely NO cholesterol and contain high amounts of protein. Egg yolks on the other hand, contain SOME cholesterol.

However, it is safe to eat 2 eggs or so a day unless you have high cholesterol, have been told you're at risk for high cholesterol or have been told to not eat eggs.

People over exaggerate the cholesterol thing in eggs.

• the yolk is more nutritious an contains half the amount of protein, 3 grams in the yolk, 3 grams in the egg white. eggs are a superfood, the cholesterol in eggs are the good cholesterol.

why do I eat 10 whole eggs a day, and have very healthy cholesterol levels?

• That's all BS, I have an aunt who's a nutritionist, a mom who works with pharmaceuticals and an uncle who's a doctor and they all say it is perfectly fine to eat eggs. What they are bad for is the liver, but that's only if you eat like 5 eggs a day. If you don't go over 7-8 a week you'll be fine. More to the subject, I"ve been eating eggs for breakfast daily for a year and a half and there's nothing wrong with me, my cholesterol levels are perfectly normal. Don't believe those idiots :)

• The yolks have a bit of cholesterol, but as long as you have an overall balanced diet, it's perfectly fine to eat them WITH the egg whites. If you separate them, do not eat the yolk on its own - they're meant to balance each other out.

• No