How to respond to gold digger accusations?

My boyfriend comes from money, his family owns a very well known company. Sometimes people find out about this and there is so often a sarcastic comment along the lines of "Oh I can't imagine why you're dating him". I find this so hurtful and I never know what to say. I have nothing to do with his money, and it obviously isn't why I'm with him. What should I say to these kinds of comments?

103

Most Helpful Girl

• I think a part of what you could tell them is what you just told us--that what they said is hurtful. Another thing you should include is that it's none of their business. If it were me, I'd something something along the lines of this:

"Ya know, it stings that you would accuse me of something like that, especially because it's not true. And frankly, no aspect of my relationship is any of your business and it shouldn't be of any concern to you anyway."

I'm sorry you're experience, people are notorious for sticking their noses where they don't belong. I hope I've been of some help!

What Guys Said 3

• not to care

• There is nothing you can possibly do to make it any better, you have to deal with it.

• Maybe you could tell them you were using him for great sex, long before you knew he had money. He wouldn't mind you spreading that rumor. :-) All joking aside, there isn't really anything you can do, except develop thicker skin.

What Girls Said 9

• I can understand how that'd be really hurtful. Honestly, I think an offended "I'm sorry, what?" from you would be enough to get people to think before they speak next time.

• They're jealous. I would take it as a compliment. Ignore what they think, because normally what people say has to do with their own issues anyways, nothing necessarily about you.

• Say, "Just because that's why YOU would be with him, it doesn't mean that's why I am." Or something to the effect. It calls out their insult and throws it back in their faces. You shouldn't take anything like that from anyone.

• What's to say to them anyway? You don't need to explain yourself to anyone.

• tell them that its not HIS money,its his families money..u wish you had it like that

• They can mind their business, your relationship has nothing to do with them,they are just jealous & don't worry about it :) Don't let thoes side commets stress you out.

• Honestly there's nothing you can do.

• Say "excuse me?" And give them THE LOOK

this will bring attention to their offhanded insult and call them out

• The best thing you can do is ignore them. There isn't really anything you can do if people are going to be hateful towards you, so don't worry. At the end of the day you are going home to him and not them ^^