Do you think technology has gone "too far"?

People don't even bother to learn things anymore because of the internet. Imagine how dumb the human race would become if the internet disappeared!

Please give your thoughts about how we have integrated technology into our lives and if you could survive without it.

513

Most Helpful Guy

• We have merely outsourced critical thinking to Google.

What Girls Said 5

• Lol don't bother to learn new things? I've spent hours looking up articles on science biology and metaphysics. Something I would have never thought to look up if the internet weren't a thing. I can look up any question that pops into my head at any time and have an answer within a minute.

• Not really.
    "People don't even bother to learn things anymore because of the internet"
    I don't get it?
    People still learn stuff?
    Instead of asking a friend/family member, trying to figure something out ourselves that might be wrong or dangerous, not figuring it out at all, or trying to looking it up in a book that we might not have we can just look it up on the internet.
    And people still do the other things I've listed.
    In lab my professor would record himself going over the material then post it on youtube explaining everything. We'd watch and study from those videos. It was especially helpful for those who couldn't make it to class that day.

• There's a good side and a bad side to it tho, but like mobile phones have gone too far that some people literally can't even talk to someone else in reality without using their phone at the same time -.- What annoys me a lot tho is the different kind of iphones that keep making appearances -.- hahah

• Nope. people have.

• I actually love learning new things ON the internet, not avoid doing so because of it like you claim everybody does. The internet can be very useful and as informing and educational as books.

What Guys Said 12

• Your reasoning is actually older than you think. The idea of imagining how helpless we would be without a certain type of technology has been around for a long time. How many people know how to make bread from scratch without the convenience of buying yeast in stores? Heck most people don't know how to make bread with yeast from a store. Even most farmers would have trouble growing food without their technology.

Technology simply moves our area of expertise in another direction. The introduction of the information age is actually spreading ideas, not hampering them. We just don't have to worry about the nearly useless bits of information anymore and this frees us up to pursue other interests.

• I can see what you mean. We had our first computer in 1999.
    I was 4. So, I've basically grown up with the Internet. If I had a choice of having no Internet to ever exist and having Internet; I'd pick without.

It takes up too much of my time, and I'm addicted to using it. Like everyone.

• You do have that choice. Unhook your internet access.

• FYI to everyone, i am not saying the internet is bad. I am saying we abuse it and people need to learn things (for good) not learn the ability to look them up!

• I actually do think it's more worse than good.

• I hope they leave a For Dummies book behind. Seriously I grew up without the net and it is amazing you just accepted there are whole areas of knowledge you will know nothing about but nowadays you have a reference library at your fingertips.

• Yeah, because everyone was clever before technology. Pretty sure my grandmother couldn't even read.

• Don't be a smart ass about it. Soon everyone will be fat and not be able to read.

• Actually he is correct. People do more reading now than ever before because of the internet. If they can't read, then they can't use the internet and the internet can no longer be the cause of their ignorance.

• And of course the people who need to maintain it! There'll always be a stupid majority, but the clever minority will certainly be cleverer... Erer...

• 0|0
  • people learn things to improve the technology :P if people did not want to improve technology they would not need to learn anything

• I think the world would be better if all the electronics were suddenly gone

• No. I don't think it's gone far enough.

• Now in our daily life we use internet so much that can't live even a moment without it...

• Nope, we need more technology as of matter of fact.

• yep people don't know how to talk to each other, some barely go outside.

• Well now it is the internet used to be a book. So if the internet went away we'd go back to what we used before which was books. I kept all my technical and college textbooks for that reason. I reference them almost on a daily basis.