So basically I just want to know if any of you lovely human beings know anything about the first crusade and would be willing to share?
Most Helpful Guy
As you probably know that it's kind of complex.. i'll try to keep it simple just so that you dont end up confused. You can always read the wikipedia article for full details. So here goes..
1) Pre-Jesus.. the land of present day Israel, Sinai peninsula and the neighbouring countries ( called as the levant) used to be occupied by people following Judaism and various other religions like neo-babylonian, arab pagan, zoroastrianism etc..
2) Post Jesus era experienced the rise of Christianity which spread from Israel to Arabia, Egypt (Coptic christians), Syria (Assyrian christians) , Anatolia (present day turkey) and then to Europe
3) Judeo-Christianity kept flourishing in the levant till the 8th century. The area came to be known as the Holy Land due to having many religious sites-Nazareth, Jerusalem, etc
4) Muhammad was born in the sixth century in Arabia and founded Islam. Muhammad's conquests to spread Islam in the world were very successful in uniting an otherwise divided arabia.
5) After the unification of Arabia, The arabs started to spread outwards. Muhammad is said to have travelled on a winged steed (buraq) to the Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem one night. Jerusalem thus becomes the third holiest site of Islam (After Mecca and Madina).
6) As the Arabs try to convert the Jews and Christians to Islam, they fail to convince them that Muhammad was the last prophet. Muslims then take the alternate route.. They attack and conquer non-muslim lands and forcibly convert or expel non muslims.
7) They encounter the powerful turkish tribes (who were not muslim then). The frequent struggle between arabs and turks keeps jerusalem safe.. until the turkish tribes start converting to Islam.
8) Jerusalem's enemies unite and Jerusalem is sacked.. it's christian and jewish population is slaughtered and islamic rule (shariah) is imposed
9) The turkish tribes start raiding the Byzantine empire now that they were united under the banner of Islam.
10) The byzantine emperor calls western Europe for help.
11) The pope announces the first crusade and encourages the knights all over Europe to come under the banner of christianity and drive the barbarians from the holy land.
12) Armies from all across Europe gather and rain down upon anatolia. cutting a swath towards jerusalem.
13) muslim light armored troops fall to the heavily armored european knights.
14) jerusalem is sacked. the muslim and jewish population is murdered. muslims beheaded and their heads thrown from the.. (contd)..0