What's the likelihood of someone coming out of a mental hospital and being normal again?

How often does this happen? If they were really insane at the time they were admitted to the mental hospital can they change to the point of leading a normal life again?

16

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually never.
    If you're that deep, then you're pretty much unable to make a full recovery. That's why it's so important to be aware of your own mental health, and seek help before things get too bad.
    it's like with regular diseases. The earlier it's discovered, the easier to cure or counter. And if you wait too long, it might be game over

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on what you define as normal. If by normal you mean they are taking their pills regularly or have changed their behavior then that's different

• Normal as in not saying nonsense all of the sudden, making random movements nor hearing voices nor talking by yourself.

• Yes it's possible

What Guys Said 5

• I have no doctors degree. But i did do some volunteer work for mental patients. But they were not insane.

I have seen cases come out of it really good. I also have seen people that were diagnosed to be put in a mental hospital but actually did fine in life. These cases I worked the most with. Sometimes they only need some caring people (especially friends & family) around them to get them back on track.

I can't say how often this happens but I can say it's more than you realize.

• There is a possibility. My best friend was a complete fruit loop growing up and now he's really happy and stable.

• Hmmm "normal" is tough to figure but I see what you mean. Depends on what the issue is. It's possible they can recover well enough to be fully functional, but if they were truly insane, then its doubtful

• Yes, I was referring to normal as in not saying nonsense all of the sudden, making random movements nor hearing voices nor talking by yourself.

• yeah it must be awful to feel that you're hearing stuff and that they're out to get out

• Yes, in many ways, someone like Nash has it the worst, because they're lucid enough to know they're crazy, but unable to change it. REALLY crazy people are usually oblivious to their insanity. Some are completely out of touch with reality, so maybe it isn't as bad for them

• Yes in some cases, it depends on the individual and how they are treated.

• Maybe IF they stay on there meds

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!