Democracy, good or bad?

820

Most Helpful Girl

• Good. Very good, the best way to run a country is to run it in a democratic way, I despise Dictatorship and I come from an ex Dictatorship.

Most Helpful Guy

• I like what the Romans often did. They had a system where it was mostly a democracy, but during times of strife a dictator would be elected to have temporary absolute power. When the trouble was dealt with, the dictator would give his power back to the people.

Of course in modern times it is not likely at all that a dictator would ever renounce total control of the nation but back then it worked, mostly.

What Girls Said 7

• It depends on what context. In some countries democracy simply does not work for them, and the US mission to expand democracy into these countries where it doesn't work is just plain dumb tbh.

• It depends how you see it!

• I'm all for democracy. >.>

• It's both. It's good because everyone gets a say, but since everyone gets a say this mean's there's clashing views which leads to nothing getting done.

• Democracy, something I give 0 shits about.

• ehhh... I don't know

• go argue that with the Greeks.
    they started it.

What Guys Said 19

• If you live in the U. S. A. it's bad in my opinion because the U. S. was designed to be a Republic. To be fair there is some overlap but there are some key differences. The Founding Fathers were scared of creating an all powerful central government. Seeing as they just left one. To that end they gave the government 2 basic mandates, 1) Regulate trade between the States and 2) Defend the States against aggressors with an Army made up from all the states but that Army cannot be maintained longer than 2 years. Failing those 2 basic rules the States maintain all the power.

Fast forward to today when people use the government to settle everything from Education to Political differences. The States have little power because they gave it away to Uncle Sam for implied security. There is hope thanks to marijuana, States are finally realizing they do have power as long as it's not specifically outlined in the constitution as a Federal power.

• I say yes because the alternitive is socialism or full on dictatorship. And I'm not a huge fan of most bosses soooooo

• I share Plato's view of it. People rely on their emotions too much and are irrational because of it and thus make really stupid decisions. Hierarchy is a needed system. If the US was an actual democracy and not a republic I'm pretty sure we would have collapsed a long time ago.

• The biggest problem in our democracy is, power is sold to the highest "contributor".
    Lobbyists set the Congressional agendas, and the voter's true voice is rarely heard. Voices get silenced when billions of dollars in "hush money" is paid out to elected officials to look the other way on key issues the voters go to the polls for.

Otherwise democracy is good, but has become a flawed bastard of sorts. Perfectly imperfect, and systematically dysfunctional. The only way we pull through is due to people still giving enough of a shit to vote in large enough numbers that it prevents us from being hijacked by our own elected officials.

• api.ning.com/.../...heepvotingonwhatsfordinner.jpg

Also, if the majority of people votes something stupid (Trump? lol), then that person gets elected. There are less smart people than average-iq people, so the smart people get way less chance to get their votes chosen, if you know what i mean.

That's why it's still kinda unfair

• It's the worst system in the world except for all the rest.

• Democracy is good it's the people in it that make it bad, but even then having the option to choose what you want to believe in, who you want to vote for etc is better then being ruled by a king, dictator and the like.

• Bad but not as bad as it could be. That is in no way an endorsement of democracy. I like how Platon and Aristotle put it "Democracy is mob rule" the dumb majority are given to much power

• Democracy = hypocrisy

• I think democracy just like any other form has its good and its bad. It gives people freedom which i believe is the most important right any human being can have, however, too much freedom can also be a bad thing. This is where democracy can be complicated. Remember the Futurama episode when Zuiburg (the pink squid doctor) eats the national flag in the name of freedom.

• "Democracy is the worst form of government, except from all the others." - Winston Churchill

• I think democracy is good in concept but I don't think the way it is in the U. S. rn is good. We don't truly have a say in the laws that get made or even who gets elected president

• Pure democracy?
    Bad. That's called mob rule Bruh.

• America needs a new gov system.

• It's said that democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

It's not a perfect system then. What else you got?

• Democracy-hypocrycy. It is the most failed and destructive system after communism.

• nope a republic is better

• i think, it's good. Look at USA and India and notice it's economic status

• A true democracy without corporate interests and corruption is good when mixed with fair foreign policy (not to be policeman/thief of the world) and does not allow lobbying. Also a well run mix of social programs and leadership for improving the infrastructures and schools. In a democracy where you allow people to stay in congress for 50 years and allow them a high pay, tax deductions up the ass and free gifts/money from companies then you soil the nature of a democracy. Government should not be big but it should be fair, free of corruption and effective. Sadly laws that are passed do not reflect the views of the people. We were corrupt (the USA) from the start if you know history. There were no "good ole days" of America. We never set in place a fair and unbiased panel of people to oversea the government. When you do not police the police you end up in a police state and a theocracy/oligarchy.

• *oversee*
      .,.,