How do you keep your mind on writing when you're dead tired and easily distracted?

ok so I need to write an essay comparing two texts on postwar Europe for tmr but I'm having major ADD episodes rn lol help?

1022

Most Helpful Guy

• If you're dead, tired, and easily distracted you don't need to worry about your essay- being dead is a legitimate excuse. If you're dead tired and easily distracted just go to sleep and have a dream about finishing the paper. At least for a few seconds you'll get some relief.

Tell the teacher you got really hungry and ate your homework. That will also get you out of school.

Most Helpful Girl

• Remember your goal and plan out your easy throughly, do research, always reference and remain on topic. Turn off anything that is distracting, unless its calming music that keeps you focused. Always be prepared to take breaks. But being dead tired is a sign you need plenty of rest. However let this be a reminder to plan out an assignment on the same day its given, and don't wait till the last minute. Unless your able to focus when under pressure before the deadline.

What Guys Said 21

• Force of will and LOTS of proof reading. I concentrate while proof reading, and if my mind wonders I start over. I'm very careful to read what I actually wrote, rather than what I think I wrote. I do separate proof reads for overall flow and detail. I don't try to proof read for both at once.

Save a lot under different file names.

• Oh yeah I usually read over my texts once I'm done and in the mornings again to make sure I haven't written any bull haha

• Yea, reading the next day is a real good idea. It gives you a chance to catch the "what the hell was I thinking" moments.

• Have no fear, Pac-Man is here.

https://i.imgur.com/V1BPp1B.gif

• Can't bullshit because it will be marked 😭😭😭

• xD thats nothing. Just make sure you get a passing grade or better, and do your best on the final exam!

• Lol the final exam is only 60% though :P
      I've passed the previous 2 10% assignments though..

• Sleep. Wake up. Close off all browser tabs that link to anything that does not help your goal, make conscious effort to remove any thoughts that tell you to do something else even if it is just for 5 minutes.

• Lol 5 minutes aren't enough to write an essay.. I literally sit around with my notes having nothing written other than an introduction T_T

• If your mentally tired you get distracted. Sleeping and waking up rather than powering on through can be most beneficial. In addition, sometimes a quick bath, stretching for 5 minutes can really do wonders in helping the spirit.

• Thanks I'll try the stretching and maybe also the closing all tabs advice!

• I can write an essay for you, meanwhile you can go take a rest.

https://i.giphy.com/mOZnMvORytqkE.gif

• Listen to classical music or soothing music, but not to soothing or it'll make you conk out, or taking a short break then coming back to it, or watching a film on what your writing about to help the creative juices, also putting cold water on your fingertips and then the cold water on your eyelids help wake you up

• Oh wow I never knew that water trick!

• Yeah, works for me most times, or even putting a ice cub on your eyelids with your eyes closed, forgot where I learned, or if I did it on accident, can't remember, but usually works after a couple minutes

• slap yourself in the face do some pushups get some coffee and suffer through it.

Put on some Mozart his music is actually proven to help the mind become smarter and more creative in it's thinking.

• Take a 15-30 min nap. That always helped me. Then turn your phone off and set a timer and get to work on bullshitting an essay.

• Haha if I took a "short nap" in this state I would probably wake up just in time for Christmas eve!

• Lol watch you'll get an A- on it

• Definitely not! I'll be happy if I get an E lmao

• Just take a rest, It is easy to misunderstand sentences
    Especially stream of consciousness
    I remember crime and punishment is like that.

• Caffiene for me helps

• @Jxpxtxr
      I've got SEVERE ADHD though so stimulants actaully do help me.
      It was so bad that when I was young and not yet diagnosed and on medication, I would forget where I was and what I was doing in the middle of class and try to walk out of the building.

• Yeah I think I'll just go with coffee over coffee until I'm done

• The main thing required is to increase your focus and tell your subconscious self that you have a very important work to perform. And that you need to do it urgently and at all costs. Once your subconscious knows that you mean business , than it will cooperate and allow you to do your things with great sense of purpose and conviction. You will get ideas automatically to write exactly what you need to write. Just follow your instincts and use all the knowledge that is stored in your brain and the additional notes and materials that you have at hand to help you to write. Drink a cup of coffer to keep you alert. I don't have much knowledge about ADD , hence I can only advice yoy to take the required medicines prescribed by your Doctor for such defects

• Put on what I call my "intense" mix. It's mainly music off of sound tracks that have no words, just a fast beat. I have a bit of ADD as well so you might want to try it.

• get a person who always having good marks and going to write it then write with that person so you stay in the mode... be with people who are doing the same thing so you stay in the mode

• If it's for tomorrow.. i guess i would sleep and wake up early to do it.

If not, some chill time, doing less usuals stuff... can be anything to refresh the mind.

• There's a thing i read some time ago. They recommend 40 minutes of hard work/study and then you rest 15 or 20 (do something different, not work), then you repeat. Seems it keeps you focus more time and less tired,

• Plan B, grab the headphones, youtube some badass trance and start writting.

• Yeah I've heard about that technique too, never really tried it though, for me it's more like the other way around: 15 minute of working hard and taking 40 minute breaks 😂

• I find for myself that listening to music and also maybe drinking something with caffeine helps me to manage

• Go to bed and wake up early

• I'm a total Zombie in the mornings though haha

• Maybe a power nap for an hour then a cold shower - Might give you that burst to finish off essay

• I'll do that cold shower thing before I reread my essay in the morning hah might work

• definitely not by wasting your time on GAG

• Get a cold shower or 15 minute nap.

• Take a break! Eat an orange! Have a nap! Draw two colourful pictures of books and then mash them into each other and draw a third most excellent and colourful picture of your essay! Send me your number and we can try sexting, unless you think that will make you more tired, and I warn you I have never sexted before so I'm probably pretty bad at it! I'm like, 90% positive that one or all of those will make a huge difference! I'm kind of hysterical right now because i'm overtired but I am really enjoying answering questions!

• Break them into parts dude. 😄. Like making chapter books obviously. 😅. You did make it simpler. 😂.

• What do you mean "making chapter books" ?
      I literally can only write 500 pages and the information used is based on journal articles not even books

• Make your essay into chunks, and do each chunk individually. You do more faster.

• Men, comeon who cares about an essay? Go sleep ;D

• Lol MY UNIVERSITY CARES

• It was supposed to be Meh*

Oh.. lol just go drink some coffee, wash your face or something u will be coo' ;)

• Sheer force of anger.

• Lol did you miss the tired part? At this stage I'm far too tired for anger

• Well the only other solutions I know are methylphenidate, which isn't really an option because it's a Schedule 2 classified substance, or copious amounts of caffeine.

Or still, sheer force of anger. I have a lot of anger to spare, so no level of sleep deprivation can keep me from being angry.

• lol I don't know what anger would do for this essay though, you might just end up murdering the tutor because they gave you a bad mark on it lmao

What Girls Said 9

• Get off of the internet. Turn off your modem/router. Switch off data on your phone. Go sit in a room that has nothing else distracting and don't leave.

• You just have to have interest and a strong will to complete it, I guess. If you're tired, you should wash your face and eat/drink something or take a short nap.

• haha I think I'll try the face wash & coffee - taking a "short" nap in a stage of tiredness to this extend usually ends with me waking up on Christmas eve hahaha

• LOL! Ok then. Sounds good.

• If you are ADD, then you need to teach yourself organization by creating and following an outline, starting way before due date, take several breaks if needed, and always read and comprehend what you read. If you have to write on the what you understood or what you made sense of after not knowing.

I myself have ADD. If you're not on meds, then this is the only form of staying focused. Also, if you can't whip it out, it also means you don't understand it.

Maybe watch youtube videos too on post Europe and such. Oh, and always listen in class. If you have to, being a mini tape recorder. I did, and played it in my sleep.

• I make it an event. Light a candle, put on music without words or that you don't know the words too, get yourself something to drink, and close all the other tabs on your browser:)

• lol I need to finish a section and an elevation for tomorrow with a proper plan
    yet I am still on gag
    so not the person to help ya lol
    maybe you should get off gag too ;)
    anw when you re done can you pass me the essay I d like to reaD IT XD

• Hahaha I'll do, word limit is only 500, so it should be a quick read for you too :P
      Although it probably won't make much sense to you if you haven't read the original texts it is based on

• I ll see
      gd lck!

• Generally I take a rest and go eat something, watch tv, listen to music.
    This can work even though the majority of time I forget to finish my homework so...

• Drink a cup of tea. Clean up your workspace and leave your phone somewhere else or on 'do not disturb'. Then read up, write and succeed.

• I can write nothing when I'm distracted tbh

• By reminding myself what the consequences will be if I won't finish it.

• That's a good one haha

• Agreed with aurora. Especially when it comes to assignments that are worth a big percentage of your total grade, I have to remember that slacking off for a few hours can lose me one letter grade (or even more) that will be on my transcript forever. Not worth it. xD Best to hunker down for those few hours and do it rather than see an ugly grade on your transcript forever haha.