Can you bring a cat into a house which already has a dog?

Will they get along? Or will the dog attack it?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, you need to watch the dog for a while and teach it not to eat the cat, but cats are also pretty brace when it comes to standing up to dogs. I have a hunting dog and 6 kittens under one roof at the moment.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the dog, especially if s/he was exposed to cats at a young age. We had an Airedale that used to kill cats and my father already owned a black cat. (According to my mother, that particular cat was Satan himself. LOL His name was My Sin, after the perfume. 2.bp.blogspot.com/.../...ANE+BLOG+MY+SIN+1968.png) My father told the dog, Major, that the cat was here first and he ruled the house. Major never chased My Sin in the house, but once outside, the rules didn't apply. (By the way, My Sin could intimate a full grown dog and he knew where the property line was.)

• Now, my dog, Barney (a standard schnauzer) won't bother the two cats we have, but he was raised with two other cats before that. I've caught him a few times playing with them (chase, mostly), but he would never hurt them. In fact, I think he has a crush on one of the cats.

• The dog hasn't been exposed to cats and doesn't seem to like other animals.

• Then you're going to have a bad time.