What's your opinion on people who have kids when they have serious genetic disorders/conditions/disabilities?

I have seen several documenteries about people with sgenetic disorders that choose to have children, even when the chances of their child having the same disorder is very high

I find extremly selfish, having children is kinda selfish, but its even worse when people KNOW the chances of their kids having the same condition as them is big, but still choose to have them

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When you think having kids is selfish then you know you come from some self hating liberal country, probably white and liberal too.

You dont get to decide who reproduces and who doesn't. Its peoples right to reproduce.

1|3
    0|0
    • Exactly who does this neo nazi think she is.

• When did i say at any point i wanted to decide who reproduces? @timesplittersxsxd im av neo nazi because i think its selfiish to have children?

Most Helpful Girl

• Although I personally wouldn't chose to have a child if in this state, I can completely sympathise.

A maternal instinct and there is a difference between adoption and your own child. It might seem selfish, but you are forgetting one crucial thing. THEY HAVE KNOWN NO OTHER LIFE. It's not like their arms fell off or their legs stopped working one day. They have lived through life and know it's possible, and becoming easier every day.

If you put aside their disabilities (because like I said, just like you and me that's the life they have always know) your question is "should we make people feel bad for being disabled and restrict their rights?"

I understand your concern but it honestly shows your lack of understanding for the disabled. My dad is an amputee and I've been looking after him for 7 years. I guess what I'm saying is don't judge for something you have no experience or no comprehension. Either you consider disabled people a person, or you don't.

Which are you?

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• This is a tough one. I wouldn't do it and frankly I don't think it's fair for the children.

But then again, who am I to judge other people's acts? Tough one.

0|1
    0|0
  • You would think that they would never want to do this to offspring, but most people of disability don't see their disability as a disability. They usually see it as something that they just have to deal with in live life in a different manner. But they still feel human I'm sure. They still have desires. Yeah it seems kind of like they are setting their offspring up for failure and damning the kids they have to a world of torture, but the way things are in the world, all our children are coming into a world where pain and struggle can happen to anyone. Sure, the kids are in a tougher spot right off the bat, but who better to teach them than their disabled parents who have the same issues. Also, who will love them more than these parents? I hear of so many families cursing the fortunes when they have a child and they find out they have a disability. Sometimes, they are even aborted before they are born. But coming from a situation like this, they know well enough and of certainty that their child will be disabled, even before they try to procreate I'm sure the parents have talked about this. They aren't going into the situation blindly and without any surprises. They know full well the outcome of the child. But from this, all as I can say is that they will truly love this child if they are still willing to have children, knowing full well the issues they will be born with. It's not much different than an un-disabled couple finding out during the first trimester that their child will be disabled in some way because of some unfortunate circumstance. It's just they have less of a time frame to decide if they still want their child or not. I think it all comes down to how strong of a desire does a couple have to want to be parents. Who are we to say if it's wrong or not? Also, I don't think all disabled offspring wind up disabled as well. I believe we tend to judge more than to understand. Which is why life is getting shittier and shittier.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mozart's mother had a fucked up genetic disorder too, as I recall.

Maybe not him, maybe another composer? Bach?

Point being, how will you feel when you have sex with someone completely normal and your kid comes out with some horrific deformity caused by genetic mutation? Happens all the time to "normal" parents, a lot of these people in your videos probably had "normal" parents.

Yes, maybe the statistics do indicate a higher prevalence, but human beings aren't statistics, the right genetic mutation could produce a deformity, it could also produce a superhuman intellect, a superlative ability to play the piano, freak athletic ability, or any of ten trillion other things that could be of IMMEASURABLE value to the human race.

And guess what else, one of those immeasurable contributions to mankind could be produced by an individual who also happens to be born with a crippling disease that makes you say, "oh, their life is too terrible, better for them not to be born!"

Are you fucking sure?
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...ca537ea6bd.jpg

Some people with horrible genetic diseases have contributed more to mankind than all the eugenicists clamoring for them to be sterilized put together. And maybe their children will too.

That's why it's not up to you to play God. Because you're not fucking smart enough. You don't know what God's purpose is for that person you consider "disabled."

Maybe God crafted that person you consider broken, and crippled, and worthless to fit a singular purpose, one moment of life and death, and when all is said and done, everybody who ever treated them bad or spoke ill of them will feel like absolute SHIT.

www.rowsdowr.com/.../...es-Art-by-Aaron-Garcia.jpg

Maybe somebody's retarded. Or maybe their job is to hold the door. So don't fuck with them in the meantime.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's incredibly weird but that mom and her kid without arms look pretty goddamn happy. I don't really care I guess, if they're successful. If you have a problem with this then why not extend it to mental disabilities as well such as depression, anxiety, addiction, etc? Basically only allow the "perfect" 10% of the population to reproduce so we purity our genes... oh wait...

2|1
    0|0
    • I'd be happy too if the government gave me money each month for not working.

• @IHateLife I actually didn't listen to the audio of the video but I'm 100% against all forms of taxation. The government probably would do that if you pretend to have mental disabilities by the way, or if you manage to get out of your job and then collect unemployment. Might as well collect that free money at some point in your life.

• I don't think you should have kids unless you can afford to do so and have the time/give a damn to raise them right. They appear to have those boxes checked, which is more than a lot of able bodied people can say.

3|1
    0|1
  • I say live and let live at the end of the day its not always by that. Two perfectly seemingly healthy adults could have a baby with a genetic defect or rare disease. And to be honest I mean how is that that much better than when really overweight people have kids who also have type 1 diabetes the one where your pancreas can't produce enough insulin? And how would you determine what diseases people have and don't have should be able to reproduce or not?

1|1
    0|0
  • This is why people need licences to breed. Can't afford it and need everyone else to pay for them? Then you don't get to have kids. Extreme cases like the above examples that are more than just being poor should be sterilized. If only such policies were international law then maybe after 100 years we'd get the world population to a more sustainable 500m-1B.

0|1
    0|0
    • Ironically your own inability to interpret genetics argues that you too, should be sterilized as "subhuman."

Genetics is the science that replaced the pseudo science of "eugenics" which is what you're preaching. You should look it up. I could recommend a good book for beginners if you like.

• @Bananaman177 If it were law I'd happily volunteer for it since I'm never having kids anyway. Too many of those little fuckers already, I'd rather not contribute to the problem. Here's food for thought: if forced sterilization and the world population was capped at 1B instead of passing the Social Security Act in 1935 we would not be going bankrupt due to entitlements (87% of the bufget just in retirement and medical bills in 10 years, it makes no sense to keep people alive just so they can collect welfare longer, it's a huge waste of tax money) and the world would be the overcrowded shit hole it is today. If you think it's not I'd challenge you to live in Bangladesh, rural China, about anywhere in India or similar 3rd-world country (where 6B of them are) for a year.

• Killing six billion people will not fix the government.

You know what's a better solution for overpopulation AND the economy? Developing a REAL space program, turning NASA's funding back on, re-vamping our entire economy around developing a space elevator and the next step, asteroid mining. This is possible within a single human lifetime.

Overpopulation is not a problem, complete and total fucking retards in charge of the population and all resources and politics and media is a problem. Decreasing population is their agenda to make us, the human livestock, more controllable.

I'm all for decreasing population, actually but let's target people who actually need to die, like international bankers and globalist financiers and heads of state and politicians, captains of industry, media moguls, etc. Kill evil people, not poor people, not stupid people, not random people, kill the ones at the top of the pyramid.

• Depends on the disability. If it is a genetic one and they play lottery for the health of their children - then yes, it is extremely selfish and ethically questionable.

Are they disabled because of a serious illness later in life or some accident (like losing both legs or something), then I don't see as much a problem with it and think thats acceptable - if there is a supportive and healthy partner.

0|1
    0|1
  • ... ask the kid if he's happy before you condemn him... I've met a man with no arms no legs and 1 foot he was happy with his life... why do you get to say the kids of a person can't be happy just because they lack something. ... I think its selfish to tell the unborn that they don't have the right to try life

0|1
    0|0
  • People without these disorders have children with them, and people with these disorders have children without them. Sure, the chances are higher, but differences are just the nature of life (literally, it's how we evolve).

Also, I hate this rhetoric of "The child won't live a happy life." Who made you the authority on other people's lives? That statement is like telling disabled individuals they shouldn't have lived in the first place because how could they possibly ever be happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • can you look inside of those people? ever seen life through their eyes? no.
    they obviously manage to live their lifes and maybe they are just happy in a way "normal" people can't even imagine.
    they are humans just like us. so why can't they live their lifes like they want?
    who judges if a life is worth living or not?

1|0
    0|0
  • no opinion. im not going to tell them to not have kids when it doesn't affect me directly.

1|0
    0|0
    • i can see that, but they are putting a kid in the world knowing they are going to have a hard life

• maybe those children being born into those conditions were necessary to bring sympathy and compassion into the world.

I don't know lol.

• Oh, well, I guess we should only allow healthy Aryan master race babies with well off parents to be born into society.
    Since that seems to be the point you're driving home.

1|2
    0|0
  • Well just because a parent has a genetic problem does not mean the children will have it as well.

Also how is having children selfish. What kind of depressing life do you have to suffer through to come to see parents and think 'Selfish bastards'.

0|0
    0|0
    • Im talking about situation where they know the chances of the kid having the same condition as them is very high.

Because you only want children because YOU want it, you dont consider the fact the world is fucked up and is going to fuck up that person.

• But what is wrong with wanting something. If humans don't have children humanity will go extinct. This world is screwed up, so what? It has always been, and always will, there is no point to go get depressed over it.

• I don't give a fuck about what others do as long as they aren't hurting anyone and are happy. I'm not letting my insecurities invade my head and want me to think that these poor happy family should have never reproduced in the first place. Fuck you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I dunno man, they're free to take kids, but they should only do so if they have the funds for it. Otherwise you're just ripping off other people their tax money for your own selfish reasons. I'm not cool with that.

0|0
    0|1
  • It's one of those topics that are in a rather gray area. I don't think they should have kids and risk putting them through such immensely life altering difficulties. However, at the same time it seems rather cruel to deny to strip them of their freedom of choice and prevent them from experiencing the joy that comes with parenting.

I personally wouldn't do it, however one can flip the coin and look at it the other way. I feel if they truly believe at the bottom of their heart that they can provide a happy existence for their child in the long run, who am I to start spewing nonsense without any proof (It's kind of a situation where the ends justifies the means but neither side can be certain if those ends will be positive).

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont like it. The parents definitely dont like their disorders/disabilities so why give rise to people who will also suffer from them their whole lives?

0|0
    0|0
  • Thats not right. I would not do it. However these people i have no room to judge. At the same time, why have kids? Just adopt them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Talk about horrendous--knowingly inflicting a terrible disease on offspring. And why is the government funding for this to happen anyways?

0|0
    0|0
  • They should not do it. It's criminal. The kids should sue their parents for a tort.

0|0
    1|1
    • The problem is where do you define the line between a genetic "condition" or not.

• Does it really matter? The kids look happy to me.

0|1
    0|0
    • i dont know if it matters, but its my opinion.. and they "have to be " happy, first of all people wouldn't make documentaries about them if they were only going around telling people how much they hate their life.

• I can see it being very selfish. Especially if you have no arms, but fuck it. No arms doesn't mean no rights.

Unless we're talking about arms as in guns. Then yeah we'd probably have no rights

• should be banned

1|2
    0|2
  • I think they are better done adopting.

0|1
    0|0
  • Should just sterilize them

0|2
    1|1
  • that puts a smile on my face

0|0
    0|0
  • Shouldn't be allowed.

0|0
    0|1
  • Would you put aspergers or autism in that category

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they should consider the chances of the child being affected and what their quality of life would be like. I hate to use the A-word, but I think one justifiable use is where the child is clearly unhealthy and not going to have a quality of life, so if the condition can be seen early enough before birth the parents should consider this an option.

0|0
    0|0
  • People with certain disabilities shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. Period.
    We really don't need more weaklings with disabilities in this world.

0|1
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Selfish. Especially if they knew that there would be a high chance on them getting it. I saw a documentary about a girl who got an awful skin disorder and she hated it and said she wished she wasn't even born. The parents still proceeded to have a second child who ALSO got the disorder so she would have some kind of companion who could relate to her. Sick.

I don't understand why these people can't just adopt someone. There are many healthy kids out there in need of a loving family.

1|1
    0|0
  • If they knew before hand and the possibility more 1/4 or greater, they are silly... if it was a 1/4 chance of being shot in the head would they take it? No.
    But because they want a biological baby really badly it makes it ok to gamble with someone's quality of life?
    Ridiculous, just adopt people, or get a sperm or egg donor if you have the money.

1|0
    0|0
    • My answer if for people who have serious genetic conditions or are carriers for serious genetic conditions. I think people who have dwarfism or something are not harming their children by having a natural pregnancy, but I think people who live in constant pain or die very young are very reckless to have a natural pregnancy because who would want their child to go through all that pain.

• I can see why it would be wrong, but not everyone in life will be perfect. As long as they're healthy, they'll learn to adapt to life. The boy with no arms, he's adapted. Most people who have disabilities learn to adapt. In that case, should be who carry the autism gene not reproduce? They don't know if they're child is going to come out autistic, they're taking a chance.

Now, if the disorder/disability is life threatening, I would not reproduce.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's cruel, because they already know their children will suffer from the same disease/condition.
    But, at the end of the day it's their life, their choice. They probably know how to deal with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally feel like if these people are individually not fit enough to take care of themselves then they shouldn't be having kids

0|1
    0|0
  • It's really none of my business what grown adults do and the decisions they make.

0|0
    0|0
  • They wanted a family. Everyone should have that right. Is it a burden on society? yeah. Is there anything that can be done about it? Not really.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are equally worthy of having kids and feeling motherhood or fatherhood.

If you asked me whether I would like to never be born or being born on a wheelchair, my choice is obvious: Life.

It's very selfish to think that other people SHOULD NOT have kids because they were born with a disease. These parents were born with the same disease and yet they thrived and lived and even had kids on their own, why wouldn't their off spring be the same?

Who tells you that their life is miserable? Maybe those people have a better life than your average depressive millennial.

0|0
    0|0
  • they didn't know their kids would have the disorder, it's not like they did it on purpose

0|0
    0|0
  • good for them, everyones journey is unique in its own way

0|0
    0|0
  • They can

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes