How does minimum wage affect your life?

-is the minimum wage too low?
- should minimum wage be 15 dollars per hour,
-how does low minimum wage affect you & your life?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Minimum wage isn't too low. The real problem is too many people think it is suppose to be able to support a family or a decent life. Minimum wage is what you earn while going to school before you start your career in your real job. Minimum wage is for a spouse that works nights to help support their family. Minimum wage is not a career job. It is a temporary stepping stone in life.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A minimum wage that high is a bad idea. Minimum wage jobs right now will hire just about anyone. Why? Because they know they don't pay much, so they can't be picky. If they are forced to pay out that kind of money, they are going to be very picky. A lot of less qualified people will have a very hard time finding a job.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Minimum wage jobs are and have always intended to be "stepping stone" jobs, mostly for new workers (usually teens) to learn what it's like to have the responsibilities of a job. The idea is to motivate yourself to either deserve a raise or to develop the skills and/or education to get a better job that pays more.

The idea that an entry-level McDonalds-type job should be able to sustain a person living on their own is a false assumption to begin with. Such entry-level jobs are for people with no other marketable skills - or people who choose those jobs because they can slack off or break work rules and get a fair amount of leeway.

San Francisco voted to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour over a few years. The result already is that many business have closed and many minimum-wage workers have lost their jobs completely. Other places, such as McDonalds, were motivated to replace a number of human workers entirely, by putting in computerized menu boards instead:

www.tbo.com/.../AR-150329478.jpg

The 6 computer screens installed in one SF McDonalds have completely replaced 4 minimum-wage employees, permanently.

The only other alternative is for companies to raise prices to pay for the increase in wages - which causes inflation and makes everyone's dollar less valuable. What used to cost $60 maybe now costs $80 - and you're back to square one.

There's no way around the fact that the path to a higher income is to develop a higher level of skill, and to thus become more valuable to an employer. There are few shortcuts to this rule.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's plain and simply dumb. What will happen if companies and business have higher wages to pay? They will either outsource the work or have to sell their goods for a higher price.

And it harms especially smaller businesses.

1|0
    0|0
    • i understand all that from a business stand point but what about the people that have to get by with their children?

• You seemingly don't understand when you have to ask this question.

What do you think is gonna happen when businesses increase their prices? The living costs will increase. The 15 $ minimum wage make no difference then anymore, because the prices increases so eventually you can't afford more than prior that minimum wage.

Additionally it just goes past the actual problem that we have an economy that actually requires minimum wages. But thats the elephant in the room that no one talks about and rather try to do some (fruitless) symptom-fighting.

• I worked minimum wage in the UK for a bit. It was around £6.30/h at the time or around $8.13/h. In a year, I managed to save up about £3k and buy a beastly gaming PC on top of that. I think minimum wage is plenty, considering where I worked there were people making just a bit over that as software developers. @iFarted said in the comments, that a minimum wage of $15 would be too much and I'd agree. You can't have toilet cleaners and burger flippers making that much. That's about $28,800/year, some software developers in smaller cities make that much. People in the company where I worked were making £20-22k/year or about $26-28k - as software developers! If everybody made that much, then as @iFarted said, prices would go up even for trivial things because labour costs would increase. So those who are making about that much already, even without that being the minimum wage would have it harder. It doesn't make sense for unqualified people to make as much as qualified people. $10 minimum wage maybe, $15 seems too much. Unless it varies from state to state and maybe even city to city. It's not uncommon for there to be two different cities in the same country, one with an average salary of (for example) $40000 and one with an average salary of (for example) $25000. In the case of the former, $15 minimum seems okay. In the case of the latter, no. For unqualified staff to start earning as much as qualified staff just because of minimum wage laws wouldn't make sense.

0|0
    0|0
  • Raising minimum wage is getting people fired and businesses closing. There's been lots of people who fought for the $15 minimum wage, when they got it, a few months later, they were fired because the business couldn't afford to pay all its employees.
    This is what happens when the government listens to people that don't know of economics. They raising the minimum wage to please these people, and hence, ruining other people.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't affect me in the slightest. but... raising min wage to a point where it exceeds the capability of whomever you're working to generate a healthy profit, you risk losing your job. The same thing holds true for American workers and why we send our jobs oversees; bigger profit margins and. less restrictive

1|0
    0|0
  • I earn $2.15 an hour as a server. so obviously I can't live off that. I have to rely on other people's tips, and a lot of people don't realize that. but I usually come out pretty good. but then again, I work in a pretty busy restaurant.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's too high... it's unfair for people who are skilled in unfortunately situations..
    A lot of people who make a little above the future $15 minimum wage are getting cheated out.
    It affects me cause the cost of everything will just go up to cover the costs of raising minimum wage...

0|1
    0|0
  • It doesn't affect me directly, but If the minimum wage were raised to $15/hour, my father would make more money. He's living paycheck to paycheck and it would really help him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont work for minimum wage but i think its adequate and should not be raised. If you're doing a job that 90% of the workforce can do, you get minimum wage. Its how economy works.

0|0
    0|0
  • I worked minimum wage in high school, been working about that since. No it shouldn't be $15/hr, it would completely kill small businesses. Raising it only drives up cost of living anyway.

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys, romania is having 1,50euro /hour, and your bitching about 10

0|0
    0|0
    • How much does it cost to rent a small flat in Romania?

• Show All
    • The food is the same like in germany, belgium. U earn about 200-300 a month, rent, food, if it comes to buy clothes you re kinda dead, won't talk about having a family

• Bist most of romanians are having their own houses, flats, so yea most of them aren't paying rent

• I make slightly more than minimum wage. It shouldn't be raised to $15.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely should be higher than what it is, but should vary from state to state depending on the cost of living there. When I was making minimum wage about 4 years ago, it definitely was a struggle even though I didn't have many expenses at the time, but I was still living paycheck to paycheck. Now I make a pretty good salary, but I'll never forget what it was like to be broke often. I feel like slightly raising the minimum wage is very doable without any adverse effects on the economy. In what world is everyone on their A-game and all striving for well paying jobs, even if that was the case there'd still be people who'd be SOL with nothing and having to resort to shitty entry level jobs until the opportunity came up. Bottom line is achieving higher education doesn't guaranteed you a career, this minimum wage issue all boils down to morality. It can be argued $15 is a bit much, but anyone who is okay with where it stands now is a delusional greedy POS.

Excuse me (Alex Jones voice)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it should be eliminated.

People should earn what they can.

If my taxes are going to help someone who doesn't earn so be it.

If they don't have a job now and can get one for $5/hour... that's better than no job for them and for me and for their employer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Before Abolition minimum wage was ZERO. Some conservatives still dream about that time.

0|0
    0|0
  • It doesn't. Peons.

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • Because making more than the minimum wage is the norm and hardly elite. One who believes it is would be the same type of peon who believes in a higher minimum wage but is only in support so long as they do not own a personal business or require few or no employees.

• Good point about not being the majority. But, "peon", really? That's insulting.

What Girls Said 3

• It would be better if it was a little higher but the minimum wage where I live goes up every year.. The minimum wage is also different for different age groups. It's not too hard to get by on minimum wage where I live

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't make an hourly salary so it personally effects by the "cost of living" increases that accompany the minimum wage increases. why even raise the wages when everything else goes up at the same time?

0|0
    0|0
  • If they raise minimum wage, it's gonna fuck up a lot of stuff.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes