In general Mothers are better caretakers of their kids than Fathers are. Agree or Disagree?

MOST mothers who are nursing newborns who caring for children in diapers do a much better job with children than father.

Agree or disagree?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying all, im saying most
  • Agree, mothers are generally better caretakers than fathers are for their kids
    Vote A
  • Disagree, the fathers are actually better caretakers of their children than mothers are
    Vote B
  • Disagree, it's pretty even that mothers and fathers are good caretakers of their children
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Just watched the Red Pill documentary which is what inspired this question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE
Do you agree with Madeintheusa's answer? "Young children need their mothers a whole lot more than their fathers when it comes to caregiving"

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well a lot of guys (in many relationships) are often the breadwinners (not always, but often). So the guy is doing his part by supporting his family financially. I think it can be pretty even/balanced. Both parents just contribute to the child in different ways. (Both are equally important.) I think it's still important for the dad to try to be emotionally present in a child's life (and make the time to do that) whenever he can though (especially for boys), because that can really affect a child's development down the road. And any guy who is willing to (try) and change a diaper once in awhile gets an A in my book. They're only babies once!

0|1
    0|0
    • Do you think mothers are more likely to be emotionally present than fathers are?

• It depends. If the father works full-time it's literally impossible for him to be there as much physically. But whenever he is there he can still make that quality time count. I think it just depends on the guy as an individual. (No two dads are exactly the same). (Neither are mothers.)

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree that mothers generally do a better job with younger children. However, when kids are in their teens, mothers are overprotective while fathers set limits and try to get their children ready to face the world on their own, so fathers do a better job with older children.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• I happened to have been raised by my father more than my mother. I'm pretty sure most of the time the mothers are the ones taking care of children is because of cultural reasons. Mothers nurse because of biology, but that doesn't mean that Dad can't take care of his children just as well.

0|2
    0|0
    • Was your father a good father? and do you think he did any better or worse than your mother?

• Both my parents were in my life, but my dad was the one I remember most when I was a little girl. Mom and Dad were both good. But my Dad was around more often.

• The mother ends up having to do majority of the job.
    She destroys her body, then has to stay at home with the kids. On top of that cook and clean and take care of the kid and herself and her man...
    It's just too much if he partner doesn't help much...

0|1
    0|0
  • Society has created gender roles and because of those gender roles, there's more pressure on women to be better care takers of their children. And because of this, it's stereotyped that women are better caretakers of their children. But that's not always true. It depends on the person.

So my answer is, it depends on the type of parents or parent the child or children have.

0|2
    0|0
  • Whoever has more experience and practice will likely be better or more comfortable with childcare. Typically, a nursing mother who is at home with a new baby has more time to practice caring for the child, whereas the father is likely to be away working.

0|1
    0|0
    • No, I do not agree with that statement. Children need loving parents who can provide them with the care that they need. A parent of either gender can provide that. I do feel that children need role models of both genders, but they don't have to be parents.

• It's about how the person disciplines, teaches, and loves the child that makes them a good parent...
    With my parents, my dad was very fun and spontaneous but he wasn't dependable. My mother was less fun than him (she was still fun) but she was more stable and ended up providing for us when he burned out.

0|1
    0|0
  • The mother is almost always the primary caretaker. Especially to young children. Young children need their mothers a whole lot more than their fathers when it comes to caregiving. Not that its not possible for a father to do so.

0|1
    0|0
    • The first 2 years that's correct. Afterwards the father is the key figure that gives a child discipline, mental stability and inner strength.

• In the youth stages yes, they play the role of the nurturer primarily. However there is no undermining a father's importance when it comes to parenting either.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's really hard to say. If women are measurably better at caring for children, it is because we are socialized to do so our whole lives, and men are not as much. We get dolls to care for as children. Men usually do not. We get taught all kinds of childcare principles by our female relatives. I don't think that happens as often for men.

But I don't think it's a biological thing. I have known many men who were incredible parents. I'd like to see men socialized with the expectation that they will someday want to care for their children as much as women do.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's not that us women, are socialized to be better caretakers but we just instinctively are. And it's not that the father figure is not important, it definitely is, but the man is more essential for providing a sense of security so that the woman can have the space for providing care. There are tons of literature about this. And anthropologically speaking, the pattern of childcare is very similar in different cross-cultural analysis, unlike many other cultural aspects. It's just adapted instincts, just like in other animal species.
    And I'm so tired of people trying to push equality as in sameness into everything. It's okay to have differences. That doesn't make anyone or anything less valuable.

2|3
    0|0
    • Oh and as an example, I recently read a survey in which parents that had young infants, were asked what would they do if both partners had very demanding jobs that they love, but including late night as so, that limit the time they spend with their children. Most mothers answered they would try to adapt their schedule somehow but for most, it was not enough if the fathers adapted too, because THEY wanted to have the time with the kids. And if this was not possible they were ready to give up certain aspects of their career. The majority of the fathers answered that they'd get a nanny. The instinct for physical closeness is just different.

• I guess it depends on the situation. But in a perfect world, I believe mothers are the ones that are the better care-takers.

0|1
    0|0
  • it's evolutionarily programmed into women to be the natural caretaker. so yes I'd say MOST would be a accurate statement.

0|1
    0|0
  • Define caretaking. I've found that mothers and fathers in well functioning relationships both offer invaluable lessons and care in their own ways. Mothers tend to be more nurturing and fathers tend to be more adnveturous and risk taking... both are necessary, one is not better than the other. I tend to think of caretaking as anything that assists a child in learning to be a productive healthy adult. Of course these are huge generalizations as there are exceptions but when addressing a broad question like this you must answer in generalities.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's about the same honestly and personally my father is a much better caretakers than my mother.

0|1
    0|0
  • Naturally more material but of course not always the case :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Mothers usually are but I know some really good fathers too. It can go both ways actually depends on the person.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd say in general yes. There are exceptions of course.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've no preference. The one who cares more, gives more.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not for me. I have a bad relationship with my mom.

0|2
    0|0
  • In my case yes

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 20

• Mothers are NOT always better! This has ruined lives!

1|2
    1|0
  • I'm a FT working single dad , but voted C , to be fair , depends on the individual. When I was with my ex wife , before I got rid of her , we both worked , but she NEVER did anything around the house , just sat on her sofa watching crap TV , complaining & getting even fatter / lazier. They still regularly see their mother , she does not live far away , but I believe I set the better example as a parent , both have had excellent school reports recently.

0|1
    0|0
  • There are good fathers and bad mothers, as much the opposite. Mothers have a nurturing instinct no doubt, but much like cooking if men put their mind to it and actually LEARN how to do it, there is zero reason they can't be as good.

0|1
    0|0
  • some mothers are worse
    its based off the person not gender

2|1
    0|0
    • It should be right? doesn't seem like it in the courts though

• Show All
    • @SamtheDnDgirl Its very fucked up and needs to change someday.

• it cause you do not understand the court is occult in nature
      they will almost always do whatever they want

• Let's examine the facts, shall we?

2static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Psa_564ba0_6099231.jpg

0|1
    0|0
  • Disagree very strongly. It's relatively equal. As the child gets older though I think single Dads generally make way better parents than single mothers.

1|1
    0|0
  • It depends on how you define caretaker. If you define it as nurturing, then yes - women are better. If you define it as raising a child, then men are better.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always found breast feeding tricky.

We shared; she got the top half, I got the bottom half.

0|4
    0|0
    • Young children need a loving parent when they're growing up, two is even better and three or four (God parents, or whatever you want to call them) is better still. The sex of the parents doesn't matter that much.

• From what I have heard, some 70+ percent of the US prison population stems from single-mother households.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know, dad's are more fun but scarier when it comes to punishment.

0|2
    0|0
  • I voted C. Dead even between both genders in terms of taking care of kids.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yea that's not to say dads are not important or that there aren't great dads but the moms are naturally more nurturing

0|1
    0|0
  • Disagree, it's pretty even that mothers and fathers are good caretakers of their children

0|1
    0|0
  • No not true dont u guys go through some weird depression some times. And like kill ur self or. Drown ur babies or so thing like that
    Symptoms might include insomnia, loss of appetite, intense irritability, and difficulty bonding with the baby.
    People may experience:
    Mood: anger, anxiety, guilt, hopelessness, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, mood swings, or panic attack
    Whole body: fatigue, loss of appetite, or restlessness
    Psychological: depression, fear, or repeatedly going over thoughts
    Behavioral: crying or irritability
    Cognitive: lack of concentration or unwanted thoughts
    Weight: weight gain or weight loss
    Also common: insomnia.

Hell there's been case where woman kill there kids for a man. So I don't think there's a difference.

0|1
    0|0
  • My parents got divorced when I was 6. It was a really bad one. That may have messed me up more then I'd like to admit. I always defect that idea with the fact that half the marriages in the US end in divorce.

I went to live with my mother. You can say she was more nurturing but it was more like overprotective. She also enabled and she couldn't enforce any rule she made. Most of her rules didn't really make sense honestly.

I think its important for boys to experience as much as they can. Life experience is something necessary as a boy grows into a man. This will build self-confidence, self control, ambition, self worth and help to crush any insecurities.

I think it's at least important for males to have a father in their life. In fact all children should see both parents.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't agree I'm raising both my sons on my own right now.

0|2
    0|0
  • children do better with the father.

0|2
    0|0
  • both have their own charm in that

0|1
    0|0
  • My mom always took better care of me

0|1
    0|0
  • In general, yes.