Why am I different from most millennials and is it normal of me to dislike most of them?

Being born in 1990, I can say that I am a millennial. However, I don't get along with most of my generation. I cannot stand the sight of most of my peers being vain and narcissistic, with that stupid douchebag culture around, showing off in Facebook and Instagram selfies.

I am the opposite of most photogenic millennials, given that I am a very private man and rarely show my face on the internet, operating under a pseudonym. Also, I am quite stubborn and unwilling to try most new things unless I have to, unlike the YOLO devil may cry attitude of most millennials.

Also, I hate most modern music and listen mainly to old school heavy metal and industrial music. Most of my favorite artists are in their 40's and 50's, having been in their prime when I did not exist. And also, most of the people I hang out with are older than me, in their late 30's, 40's, even 50's, as I cannot stand most young people's disgusting behavior.

I am probably the only person I know with a huge disdain for most pop culture, except Star Trek. I even have contempt for Star Wars and superheroes, given that Disney has ruined them and refuse to go further. I have a preference for the dark side, like horror slashers and neo-noirs.

Also, a lot of millennials these days idolize the yuppie culture, as I see most commercials feature these kinds of people. My kinds of people include metalheads, goths, and Star Trek geeks. And I see the millennials who love to game, not me. Maybe I'm getting old, but I rarely game these days because it's not as entertaining to me since I was young. I'm more of a music, horror, and Star Trek, type of guy.

Why am I one of the most different millennials out there, being that I am stern, private, slow to change, and even slower to accept?

13

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a great thing! You're an old soul. I understand how you feel because I feel the same way. It's hard to deal with because I'm sure you don't mean to dislike anyone, but they don't necessarily make it any easier to like them. It's hard and confusing, always looking around for an ally or just someone to relate to. But trust me, it's a good thing, you're unique. Wear it on your sleeve humbly 😊.

• It's like I am an old man trapped inside a younger body. Plus, I'm a low energy person and am astounded how much more energy my peers have than I do.

• I'm the same way! It's crazy. I don't get it. But I try to make it work.

• You on the other hand, are not a millennial. Being 20 years old, it's likely you were born in 1996 or later, making you Generation Z.

I wonder how the baby boomers were like when they were young.

Most Helpful Guy

• Millennials are a pain in the arse.

• I am a millennial and I can't stand my generation of conceit, so yeah.

• Im of the same generation. I have my own reasons for disliking them, some of which are specific to my country.

• They are so vain and narcissistic. I'm probably one of few I can think of who operate under a pseudonym.