Has your first impression ever been right or changed about someone?

I was reading somewhere that first impressions are kind of hard to forget.

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• First impressions do matter, but it's also important not to bracket somebody into a certain category, and then be unable or unwilling to alter that opinion.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's a very good point. A lot of young people do that.

• I wouldn't say it's exclusively young people, to be fair.

It's probably more prevalent amongst them, as you say, but a lot of people seem to struggle to change initial opinions. It's probably human nature, to some extent?

• It is human nature, but I do think as knowledge increases with age, so does open mindedness.

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to be afraid of one of my cousins. She wore so much makeup and had such long fingernails, as a little child, it reminded me of a witch. However, now I think of her as a ray of sunshine that lights up the entire building when she walks into a room.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Well our first impressions are often right. I mean we've evolved to make these sorts of generalizations and try typically work, it's just unfortunate when it doesn't. That's why we say you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

1|0
    0|0
  • It actually varies with accuracy. I would say that my first impressions of people are 45% spot on, 40% correct but changed more in a positive direction, and the remaining 15% been incorrect and/or changed in a negative direction.

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh yes. Several times that has happened. For example:
    My BFF in college I thought was a douche - until I really met him.
    My gorgeous girlfriend in college I thought was a bitch - until I really met her.

1|0
    0|0
  • i tend to be right with that. i don´t recall ever being completely wrong.

1|0
    0|0
    • Interesting, what's your first impression about me? If you don't mind.

• it doesn´t work like that xD i would have to meet you in person. i can´t have an impression about somebody without knowing anything but a few pieces of text to judge off.

• Alright, fair enough.

• Generally its very accurate from the first moment. Its more flexible on my end though where a bad first impression doesn't have to mean ill never really like someone.

1|0
    0|0
  • My first impression of a girl was that she was a complete bitch. Many many years layer she is one of my best friends. First impression was completely wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't remember my first impression ever being wrong, but I normally give people a decent amount of time to make that impression

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. It's a rollercoaster​ ride for me. First I form an opinion with intuition, then later I find that they may not be that person. Then when I get closer I tell myself "damn I was right!" Usually this happens with negatively oriented people. But this maybe just me...

0|0
    0|0
  • First impressions can be misleading. I try to take them lightly depending on the situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • yepp.. First impressions mostly change after u get to know a person better.

1|0
    0|0
  • My forest impressions are more often right than wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • judgmental people jump to conclusion at first sight

but it takes a lifetime to know a person

1|0
    0|0
  • my first impressions of people are generally right but there's always exceptions

1|0
    0|0
  • The first impression of a person is to impress you so i dont count that. When he/she gets comfortable or irritated is whaen you see their real self

0|0
    0|0
  • Whats the point of this question?

1|0
    0|0
    • What's the point of your answer?

• To figure out the question obviously. Every first impression has only two outcomes. It either turns out right or it changes. And you put both possible options on your question.

• It's different for everyone, that's what I wanted to know.

• Usely right about them

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, there was this girl my friend knew. I always thought she was mean. But then I started talking to her, and overtime I realized she was such a sensitive naive person. We became good friends.

1|0
    0|0
  • My grandmother lived in Germany until I was 10, when she first visited American I didn't know what to think of her of her. She had a scratchy voice and couldn't speak English. I didn't think we could become close. Now, we're like peas in a pod, and I couldn't see my life without her.

0|0
    0|0
  • my first impression on a few people were accurate and still haven't changed

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes! So much you wouldn't even think we were talking about the same person that I originally met.

1|0
    0|0
  • My first impressions always suck so I just give people the benefit of the doubt tbh

0|0
    0|0
  • Eventually Online and Offline Here, dear. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • They hardly ever change

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes