Is age really just a number?

I've noticed that on this app, I'll give an opinion and it's obviously not the response the person wanted so they use my age to invalidate my opinion πŸ˜‚. In my personal opinion, age is simply the amount of years you've been alive. Age doesn't define what you've experienced, your struggles, your heartache, nor your knowledge. But what are your opinions on this?

0|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Age is usually something that goes with experience. Since you have a lot more chances to experience different things, and you gain more tools to gain more experiences as you age, usually. However, maturity, for one, is not necessarily determined by age. I would say that about experience as well. It's more about your environment, your upbringing, and your openness to new understandings.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, yes and no. Anyone of any age can have valid opinions on a variety of subjects. However, life experience does shape your views, so being younger CAN potentially mean being less informed, though not always. Being older can also mean being out of touch, but once again, not always. Some people gain wisdom as they get older; others become closed-minded and stop learning. I find it's usually best just to hear people out and judge based on the merits of their arguments.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• age doesn't equal wisdom or intelligence, however there is definitely a correlation between them simply because you had more experience and learned from past mistakes. there are younger people who are wise beyond their years and old but immature crones. the thing is you don't have time to inspect every person's experience and past, so age is the quickest indicator of their wisdom and reliability

1|0
    0|0
  • Haha. No it's not just a number. There is more of a difference between a 50 year old and a 20 year old than a mere number.

0|1
    0|1
    • I'm not really talking about in terms of love.

• Show All
    • Thank you

• You're very welcome.

• it matters where it should... like where experience matters and not just any experience.. where life experience matters.. else it is just a number... and I think i also state age when some child... really a 13/14 yr old boy ask about sex or date.. lol.. I don't know what to think.. I am now 19 and don't have a girlfriend... (not bad looking just little silent with girls). and it was the only place I use age...

0|0
    0|0
  • It defines many things as experience comes with age, we learn new things with age as you will progress in life you will meet different type people bad, rude, nice and you will learn few things from the struggle by age that's why parents or older people give best advice

0|0
    0|0
  • nowadays age doesn't matter as long as your wallet is fat and full of Benjamins. age in money matters most like 100 dollars always better than 10 :-?

0|0
    0|1
    • I guess I didn't explain the question well enough. I'm talking in terms of knowledge

• ehe let me think a smart answer

• I asked my brain and the only answer he's thinking is hell fukin no. being old doesn't mean being smart being old means being old forgetting things have no erection hahaha just kidding no depends and change from person to person

• It mainly is, but however it works as a hint on how much experience a person has, as they are related. Yet many people with my age are as immature as they were when they were 20, and I've met some 20 year old people who really surprise me on their maturity level.

This does not only have to do with the experiences you have in your life, also the capacity you have to process them, and learn from them. Usually not too intelligent individuals, people who are intoxicated by educational standards on morals, or people who are too basic in the instinct level, have great difficulties to learn over experiences are remain immature for the rest of their lives - overmore, they can be horrible partners in love as their immaturity will lead to betrayals and selfishness.

So I do somehow agree with you that age could be just a number, still believe it might give you an early approximation on someone's personality, behavior and specially what to expect from them.

1|0
    0|0
  • depends on the context.

age also defines which generation we come from and how we would meld well with people around the same age.

0|1
    0|0
  • what you said is pratially true , age is just like a number game I agree.. but till you cross teen it's should be noticed.

in my opinion , age is one criteria but not only criteria. even if one have 69 years age he maybe a dumb

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree age is just a number but there are times and advices only older people can give best as they have already experienced what you are experiencing right now

0|0
    0|0
  • People say it is but in my experience its not.
    For example, some women will not date someone younger than them or older people do not treat younger people with the same respect as their peers

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm talking more about knowledge and experience 😊

• agreed! i can't stand when the older generation think just because they were our age, they know us like their own reflection... yet, be completely wrong!

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's more than a number especially if you want to get together with someone that's above the legal limit.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, but people have pregudgement. and they have it for a good reason. it buys time. no one have enough time for search every info.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I think it alright that they have this age thing. But it would be nice if they could change the "over the age of 18" thing to "16"

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep. And jail is just a room.

In a more serious answer - yes, age will usually and ideally define experience as the more older you are, the more things you have done, the more mistakes you have committed and more lessons learned.
    Again, usually and ideally.

But then - there are these people who are more laid back in life - thus some younger people tend to experience more than them. It's not wrong - it's just another scenario.
    It's not uncommon for adults to say "I've been there, I've done that" - since most likely, they've been there and done that. Young people need to take this advice, but not necessarily apply it, except if the advice will actually prevent you harm.

Good luck kids.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Its just a number. Other things might be just for formality as formality in this world is valued.

0|0
    0|0
  • agreed but your experience makes your words valuable so generally more your age is more is your experience πŸ˜… though its not always true

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it does.
    The longer you live on this Earth the more knowledge and wisdom you acquire.

0|0
    0|0
    • That is true to a point. The brightest minds always seem to die young

• Show All
    • out* not on

• I agree age is just a number , it's all got to do with the maturity level of a person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, a 13 y. o. probably wouldn't know what college is like, so it helps a little..

0|0
    0|0
    • 18 yo don't know what college is like till they get there lol. A 67 year old may not know if he never wentπŸ˜‚

• Show All
    • I'm prettyyyy positive xD

• Okay lmao. Thank you for your input

• I can see how that could be argued to be just math and our current science understandings easy answer that it's​ really just basic math, ust a number.

I'm merely a middle aged myself and the age seems to affect people differently.
    What you do for a living,, how the genes and many other aspects of our life's affect our aging, well being and so on.. so sorry but it might be only a arbitrary number based on the always changing​ speed of the earth's rotation.

I think that age is purely relative and man made concept concept while itself can't be defined as absolute time iitself is completely relative by nature and different individual effect from. all of us,

0|0
    0|0
  • technically age is a word, that stands for a number, or numbers

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends, a 10 year old doesn't have same mind of a 20 year old or a 30 year old.

0|0
    0|0
  • depends

0|0
    0|0
  • OP, you're right! 'nuff said

0|0
    0|0
  • It's fine.
    Chill
    World is full of haters

0|0
    0|0
  • The older you are, the more experience you have had.. therefore, older people have more validity.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• No, I think that in some cases age is relevant as in certain subjects direct experience is needed to form a holistic and valuable opinion that will assist.
    Age is not the only factor, by any means and many younger people have more maturity and natural ability to form logical sentiments than others.
    I'll respect anyone's opinions when they're helpful, well thought out and respectful. But that doesn't mean I need to agree with them or take what they're saying as fact.
    Just as an example; a 15yro girl decided to give me a lesson on how I should parent my children, in discipline and sexual education πŸ˜‘ Not only is there no experience there to appreciate the complexities and individuality required for those kind of decisions, there is not enough maturity to comprehend all of the necessary consequences of each option

1|0
    0|0
    • well, did she sound uneducated herself or did you automatically assume that she wouldn't jbiw because of her age? she could easily be a mother herself or she couldve raised her siblings there are a lot of cases like that

• Show All
    • Our definitions of "raising" children are very different 😊

• I think they might be lol.

• I've had the same happen, lmao. Don't worry about it too much. Sometimes people can't articulate why they don't agree with your opinion, so they resort to superficial level qualities to disengage (age, gender, country of origin, any other surface level difference).

I will say that not everyone gains wisdom or knowledge in the abstract sense, merely by experiencing more years. There's innumerable reasons why.

The difference for me, and why I say that there is validity to the "wiser with age" is because you do have the opportunity to have formed your knowledge, wisdom, and experience at a broader and deeper level. That's just a function of time. Living on your own in multiple places, having long term (5+ yrs) relationships, advancing in a career or higher ed, managing the variety of things that come with adulthood is something a younger person can speculate about, have opinions about, and share thoughts about. But they cannot yet share experience. Experience does change perspectives. There are things in adulthood that a younger person can't understand fully because they haven't been there yet. Some understanding and wisdom can only come from experiencing broad application of ideas, goals, values, and gaining feedback from the world.

My bias is to not discount younger people's contribution, while also acknowledging the bounds of how their perspective has been formed. It is still every bit as valid, just may be less likely to be applicable to me. There's also plenty of solid research on brain development to show that younger people actually do biologically interact with and interpret their world/experience in a fundamentally different way than older adults (25+).

I learn a hell of a lot from the high schoolers I interact with. They give me a ton of invaluable insight into what it's like to be in their shoes. It's never my goal to outright dismiss their perspective, because that's basically telling them their existence is negated. It's also my job to help broaden it, push them past where they are, and add in experiences and opportunities for them to gain their own wisdom and knowledge. It's the opening the door phenomenon. I can open it, what they get out of walking through it is theirs.

Interpreting it, demanding they get what I want them to get, I can't do. It's disrespectful at best, and at worst, it's going to impact how well they learn they are in control of their own life and self. I present options, they choose them and I help them own them.

1|0
    0|0
    • awesome. thanks for sharing. I agree with this a lot

• You're welcome 😊 glad it helps.

I should say, I work with the teenagers I was referring to. I'm handed the "misfits, troublemakers, and problems" when nobody knows what to do with them.

Recommended myTakes