Is what this site is doing actually legal?

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2721/Which-party-will-win-the-2020-US-presidential-election
like is it legal to bet on a political race like that?
cause I'd figure it'd be violating certain laws

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha it's like how it's almost like the Number's gambling they did in the 1920's
    basically you get poor as fuck people to play with shit odds. In this case, however, you have 1/4 odds. I'd take that over market movement. If i can get it down to 1/2 ratio i would play that over the market any day.
    Odds are it will be the democratic party winning. Unless a third candidate from the libertarians step in. Green party is a joke, and libertarians need someone who knows wtf Aleppo is
    https://i.imgflip.com/1a8vjp.jpg

0|1
    0|0
    • Poor Gary, He's a decent Guy, just not someone I agree with politically,
      The kind of guy I'd enjoy talking with or getting a beer with.
      Also did you have a birthday recently?
      Happy birthday in that case

• Show All
    • I like running numbers?"
      Nah lol i play the stock market, a legal form of "gambling"

• Running numbers, its an old, well form of illegal gambling lottery,
      The numbers game, also known as the numbers racket, the policy racket, the Italian lottery, the policy game, or the daily number is an illegal lottery played mostly in poor neighborhoods in the United States, wherein a bettor attempts to pick three digits to match those that will be randomly drawn the following day. In recent years, the "number" would be the last three digits of "the handle", the amount race track bettors placed on race day at a major racetrack, published in racing journals and major newspapers in New York. A gambler places a bet with a bookie at a tavern or other semi-private place that acts as a betting parlor.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Guys Said 11

• well it's based out of new zealand which is one thing. i know there were sites taking bets on the presidential election as well. i presume because it's an international site they can take bets on it and it's legal

0|1
    0|0
  • They let people publish the results of postal voting before polling day; that's something worse than bookies setting odds.

That obviously depresses the vote of the party that did well in the postal vote.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on which jurisdiction you live in.

Political betting is a massive industry, though.

0|1
    0|0
  • They're in in the UK where they've been betting on elections for ages.

0|1
    0|0
  • well if gambling isnĀ“t illegal, then why would this site?

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course it's legal. Unless you're directly involved.

0|1
    0|0
  • who are the bookies? Russian Spies? Sean Spicer gets a cut as well as Bannon?

0|1
    0|0
  • Whys that not legal?

0|1
    0|0
  • Probably

0|1
    0|0
  • I would also guess it's illegal

0|1
    0|0
  • It's legal there.