What would happen if?

If you threw a 75 pound weight in the open ocean, how deep would it sink before it didn't sink anymore?

Naturally I'd think it would go straight to the bottom of the ocean but something tells me it wouldn't.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• As a mechanical engineer, I will tell you that the awnser depends on the density of the object and the density of the liquid it is submerged in. The object will continue to sink until it has either reached the bottom or a point where the density of the fluid equals the density of the object. The weight of the object has no effect on whether it floats or not; ships way much greater than 75 lbs and still float.
    This is called Archimedes Principle. There are plently of videos on it.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• it'd probably sink all the way to the bottom until I crushed a baby manta ray, if i missed I'd simply throw another until I can hear the cries of the manta rays mother scream OHHHH MY BABY, MY POOR POOR BABY, IT WAS SO YOUNG MY POOR BABY

1|0
    0|0
  • It'd depend on the density of the material. It would sink until it reached the bottom or a water layer that was of equal density (due to pressure).

For example, 75 pounds of wood would float, whereas 75 pounds of lead would quickly sink to the bottom. Some hard plastics or very light metals would sink to a point, then suspend

1|0
    0|1
  • It would go to the bottom. The density of the object is the deciding factor.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hmmm I would think it would eventually get pushed down because of all the weight of water above it.

0|0
    0|1
  • It would hit the bottom if unimpeded, or if it didn't hit a brine pool.

0|0
    0|0
  • Either it will float on top. or go down to the bottom.

0|0
    0|0
  • It would go straight to the bottom.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes