What would happen if?

If you threw a 75 pound weight in the open ocean, how deep would it sink before it didn't sink anymore?

Naturally I'd think it would go straight to the bottom of the ocean but something tells me it wouldn't.

09

Most Helpful Guy

• As a mechanical engineer, I will tell you that the awnser depends on the density of the object and the density of the liquid it is submerged in. The object will continue to sink until it has either reached the bottom or a point where the density of the fluid equals the density of the object. The weight of the object has no effect on whether it floats or not; ships way much greater than 75 lbs and still float.
    This is called Archimedes Principle. There are plently of videos on it.