Cop knocks out student's tooth, video included-what went wrong?

****The first video is there because it is quicker to see (but I highly recommend you watch the 5 minute video first)****

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/05/03/3336703354601846673/640x360_MP4_3336703354601846673.mp4
this is a more complete video from the moment the student is brought into the office until he is dragged away
Office Steve Shaulis lifted Ahmad Williams out of his chair at Woodland Hills High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on March 3, 2015
He choked him with his arm then threw him to the ground to be tasered
Principal Kevin Murray helped hold the teenager down as he was arrested
Shaulis is already being investigated for allegedly punching another student last month
Queshawn Wade, 14, claims the cop called him a 'f*****' then hit him in the face
Murray was suspended in 2016 after being recorded threatening a student he would 'knock his teeth out'
The schoolboard resinstated him in January, claiming he deserved a second chance like students
Ahmad was later charged with disorderly conduct.
I got this information from daily mail because they had the most complete video.

Updates:
This is the type of man the principal is.
"In November 2016, a student was verbally attacked for charging his cellphone on school property after hours.

“I’m going to (expletive) punch you in the face. Man-to-man, bro. I don’t care if you are (expletive) 14-years-old or not. I will punch you in your face, and when we go down to court, it’s your word against mine, and mine wins every time,” Murray said in an audio recording of the incident."

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I need more information. As is it certainly seems as thought the officer/ security guard (whatever) overstepped his bounds and should be prosecuted.

I do need to know what happened prior to this though. I know if someone took a snapshot of us and the security guards dealing with a patient it could look bad. But for the safety of ourselves and others we will have to take certain measures. For example we tend to have 8 people to subdue a patient and have at least a person per limb. There was one patient who we took lightly because she was small. As a result she charged the security guard, he raised his hands to keep her distance, and broke her orbital socket. She had to have surgery.

He should have had another officer there and never have put his arms around the kids neck. But I don't know the whole story.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thank you for your reply, did you watch the 5 minute video? (it is a link, not the one with the display)

• Show All
    • The school is so corrupt, he needs to be fired. He's promoting violence and threatening students.

• Oh yeah

Most Helpful Girl

• Looks like excessive force, might depend on what the student said, since there's no audio, but there's very few things he could say that could justify such treatment. Perhaps "I have a weapon on me."
    Principal is innocent in this scenario I think. He just walked in on the cop taking down the student. He just assumed the student did something to justify the cop taking him down and wanted to help the cop, which I think would normally be a sound judgement in most scenarios really. I doubt he knew it was the cop suddenly taking down the kid unfairly.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• Seems he stole another student's phone and punched another previously.

I guess someone needed to give this kid a slap. The thing with being a violent individual is that you might well come up against someone who is more violent than you.

I find it ironic that kids who don't do this shit, never run into trouble with bad cops... because they don't deal with the cops at all.

1|2
    1|0
    • Is it right for cops to be the people most prone to do violence? (I don't mean on the job stuff that's required.. I mean their character)
      I fail to see how that someone, to "give this kid a slap" should be a trained law official. Their job isn't to slap around people or 'punish' them physically, it's to uphold the law.

• True their job description might not have been, but police officers should be people of good moral standing.

Now, morally, the kid needed an ass kicking from someone bigger than him.

It's one of these cases where, if the kid was actually a decent child who had never been in trouble before and suddenly got a pounding out of nowhere - sure the cop has no moral right to do that. In this case though... I would look the other way for 5 mins.

• How did he deserve to be beat up by a man much bigger than himself? He was being questioned over a phone. And this is not about "well, I think he shoulda had this done to him" this is about the law and someone having to have emergency dental surgery because they were roughed up for sitting down. (by a cop who is being investigated for punching someone, and in a school where the principal has been taped threatening to punch people and use his word against theirs bc he's such a big man...)

• Well I will point out first thing is since there is no audio with this video,.. it is tough to determine in relations to what the major issue is.

1 thing I will comment is the student didn't appear to be intimidating at all, yet some of the staff members & the cop appeared to be pretty hard on the young lad to the swift point where the cop literally grabs the young student, places him into a choke-hold & puts him down... okay,... but for what reason was that tactical move warranted? So far according to what I have seen in this video,.. there was no reason to use a tactic like the choke-hold onto that student. That's just completely using excessive force on a student for no reason,,.. and again for what? That's like pointing a sub-machine gun or an automatic rifle at a student & forcing the student to finish off his/her paper assignment right now before leaving the class. Again ridiculous, excessive force for something that minor which could have been handled in a different way, especially in a professional manner.

0|2
    0|0
  • The boy was not resisting, so I cannot see any justification for what was done.
    I am a licensed private security provider. I would not have handled the boy in that way, unless he offered violence.
    Even non-co-operation can be dealt with by putting him in an arm lock, rather than belting him.

1|1
    0|0
  • Students these days are rude and do not respect authority. And then when someone finally puts them in their place they play victim.

1|1
    0|5
    • I enjoy seeing your answers on here, you always get a rise out of people. I 100% think you're a troll, so, I'm not going to engage you, but it's nice seeing you around.

• So I am not allowed to have an opinion?
      Im so sorry for not going along with the "popular" opinion and speaking my mind. Oh and I am so sorry that you hate Freedom of Speech.

I can also accuse you of being a troll.

• We teach kids today they can do anything without consequence.

• I am going to play the opposing side on this one.
    -Did the kid have a history of violence like the officer?
    -Was the conversation between him and the cop recorded?

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't think there was a body cam on the cop. Also, I'm not sure if the school cameras have audio.
      Ha, right.. I'm not sure, the report didn't say anything about violence by the student.

• Aside from the punch, he didn't have a criminal record involving violence?
      If he didn't the cop was wholly in the wrong.

• i imagine the cop felt a reason to use force but obviously this is excessive. it's becoming all to common for police in the US to use excessive force. there doesn't appear to a moment with this officers well being was truly threatened that this type of force was warranted

0|0
    0|0
  • So there's no audio? I think something like this is the audio is key I knowing that what said, the tone and to see what as sooooo threatening that a cop needed to be brought in. I remember when getting into fights at school once it was outside it was the schools problem. You either took the ass kicking or won. The next day it would be like it never happened, or in some cases the two became friends, I did once with this once kid that whooped all around the playground.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bro I never understand the point of going through training and being bigger than most people. It's so that you can handle yourself in tense situation but you tell me someone is using their whole body weight to slam someone? Foh that's abuse. I don't care what the teen did there no excuse and I'll fight every white person on this site that supports the cop's actions

1|1
    0|1
  • None of this would have happened if the kid wasn't a thug. I certainly don't have any sympathy for him. Give the cop a medal.

0|3
    2|7
    • What was the kid doing that would warrant getting that amount of force though? Is this how you would interact with your children? Knocking their teeth out, threatening to punch them in the face (the cop was videotaped saying this about students)? Is this how you wished your parents interacted with you?

• Show All
    • How do you know the kid is a "thug" based on this video?

• @Prof_Don based on an assault on a student and an expoltion from school

• It's infinitely clear the kid was in trouble before the cop came around and he was being held there before that point. But due to there being no audio it's hard to say what escalated the situation. This didn't happen for "no reason at all". It may have been a bad or illogical reason. But emotions were high in that video.

0|1
    0|0
  • From the video evidence here, I see no reason why the officer had to put the other guy in a chokehold. The resisting by the dude, came AFTER the excessive force, because he felt attacked (and was attacked).

0|2
    0|1
  • who knows.. I wanna know what happend before the cop grabbed him. then I could judge the situation. this video isn't enough

0|1
    0|1
    • The 5 minute video is better, it shows the cop stand in the corner as the kid sits, then lecture the kid as he sits, then walk towards the hallway, he comes back in moves towards the kid and puts his hand near his face/throat and things get violent from there.

• Show All
    • no man, yelling and pointing a finger is a sign of aggression when it isn't your parent lol. His parents could do that, but a random cop?

• I thought about it more and yeah i think ur right.. when people are cool about things and talk to me about why I was wrong for doing what I did, I am way more likely to listen and take their advice than if they yelled at me.. Lol my mom never got that

• Probably a frustrated officer who had to work it out on someone... the only case in which violence by the police is fine, is when officers or people from the public are in immediate danger.
    So many of these stories make it to the news. And it's sad! :-(

0|0
    0|1
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiJePHnI4Q

Standing rear choke defense. Don't tell me it doesn't work with a bigger, heavier opponent, because it DOES. Works even if your opponent is 300 pounds. It's not a matter of strenght but making use of a position of leverage. It's the standing rear choke defense taught by grandmaster Helio Gracie himself in his self-defense program.

0|0
    0|0
  • First of all, what went wrong? I don't know as I can't here the context of the conversations. Second of all, if the kid was not being hostile, then there was no need for the officer to go bat-shit crazy on the kid. Unless the kid was threatening the officer, there was no need to put his hands on the kid.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't want to a principle of a school or a cop these days when thugs like this know they can say and do anything they want without consequences because they can play the victim card. This is why my wife and I are considering homeschooling our kids because we know schools are no longer safe places for children as thugs can bully, assault other children and steal from them and of course the school principal can do nothing because after expelling a thug the school board let's them return. This kid is going to be just another statistic of our failing school system.

0|1
    1|1
    • The principal is a bully and a thug threatening to attack 14 year olds and lie to use his word against theirs, if a parent acted like that-they'd be abusing their kid. The cop is being investigated for punching a student, he's most likely a bully and a thug (the video would back that up) Everyone who gets in trouble isn't a thug. And everyone who gets in trouble doesn't need to be put in a choke hold and have their face beat on...(is that how you handle disputes with 14 year olds? No, not if you're a parent and especially not if you're a professional educator and professional lawman.

• Show All
    • There's no indication this kid has a violent record, can you back up what you're saying?

• Um... how are you certain this kid is a "thug" / "bad kid" based on this video alone?

• The choke holds illegal for cops to use. So even if he somehow could argue that the kid was being belligerent that still doesn't change the choke hold.

That schools going to see a drop in enrollment.

0|0
    0|1
  • I watched the longer video showing more of the situation.

Assuming all of the info you found from online was true, the kid most likely was cussing out or saying something unpleasant to the officer. The officer lost his temper from the disrespect and then took physical action against the kid. The officer should not have taken such severe physical action against a 14 year old even if he was supposedly punching other kids and demonstrating disorderly conduct.

That was this specific officer's fault for taking it that far though. Perhaps something wrong must have been going on with him and it all kept stacking up until this very moment. It's still inexcusable for an officer to do, but lets try to refrain from pushing blame on the entire police force.

0|1
    0|0
  • Looks like he needs to be fired and then have his ass kid by the kid and his friends. What a punkass bitch

0|0
    0|0
  • Evidently this man was suddenly possessed by the Devil

0|0
    0|1
  • That was crazy. Some people don't know this but stuff like that happens very often.

0|0
    0|0
  • he dindu nuffin.

0|2
    0|2
    • he clearly didn't. Sitting there doesn't warrant getting choked out, idiot.

• Show All
    • @hmmmmidk You're totally a little Clintonite, that's what Hillary has to do with this. God, it's like she personally trained you how to think.

• @Bananaman177 ''Yeah, large. And strong'' then what do you think of this? ''Not size, retard'' you literally make 0 sense, and on top of all of this you ramble on and add on to your own crap. I've never seen someone make no sense, be as wrong as you are time after after time again and still think he is somehow proving a point. Do you even look yourself in the mirror and realize how stupid you are? or is being self aware even possible for a bird brained moron like you? you just ramble out of your butt all day and make 0 sense and honestly, its hilarious. Anyways, you know nothing about me, and I also bet you were itching to bring politics into this. for your information, 1. Im not a fan of clinton, or any politician 2. no, I wasn't sheltered. I dont come from some rich neighborhood and 3. you are still an idiot

• someone needs to kill that cop

0|1
    1|2
  • That was absolutely uncalled for

0|1
    0|1
  • that kid obvious is trouble, if they behave themselves and do what the cop tells them to, then this wouldn't have happened.

0|0
    0|1
    • So it was ok to attack the guy when he was sitting down? Did you watch the 5 minute video? The dude was told to sit down in the chair, he did. He sat there for a while and talked to the officer.

• Show All
    • @starbucksjr69 that will be you. you have been repeating the "come up with something" thing since a week ago. if you would open your eyes and use a little bit of your brain, if you have one, then you would have realized you have been proven wrong with my very first reply.

• You haven't proven me wrong at all, because none of what you've came up with and pulled out of your ass so far has excused the fact that the 14 year old boy was abused by an officer and his principal. I asked you various times how violence is okay to teach minors "manners" but you didn't answer and still haven't. If you haven't explained that simple thing to me yet, how are you right? How is publically beating up a child at school by two adult men right?

• Nothing will happen. He is why. The justice system is beyond broken. And will be for the next 8-30 years or as long as the monstrosity of what our justice system is. To them, Caucasians who are WRONG and RIGHT, and other races are just WRONG even if they are RIGHT.

0|1
    0|0
  • He's lucky to get away that easily.
    He could have been shot , like so many
    He could have been locked up for a week without water , like Terrill Thomas in Milwaukee County
    He could have been hanged in jail,
    like Vincent Dwayne Young in Harris County
    like the man in Hampden county whose identity has not been given out.
    Or like Sandra Bland in Waller County.

He could have avoided cops , like most do.

0|0
    0|1
    • There was a complaint about a missing phone, he was sent to the office to be questioned. One time my entire class was questioned by the school resource officer over the same thing (a stolen phone), so, we had no way to avoid cops and really neither did he in the situation.

• If he was summoned he should have gone with his lawyer

What Girls Said 5

• Honestly it's sad to see police officers feeling as if they are above the law and can do things like that as a future police officer I would want him to be locked up since I wouldn't want my partner choking someone and acting unprofessional. Sometimes you need to lock up bad corrupt officers and bring in new loyal ones like myself (someday)!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • What went wrong? He got hired that's what went wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • guess the student really pissed em off

0|0
    0|0
  • this is crazy... I mean who does that?

0|0
    0|0
  • Cops have way too much power and authority and are poorly trained, a lot of them don't know how to use it properly.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes