What do you think about the show "Dear White People" ?

What do you think about the show I've honestly never seen a show that is more blatantly racist than this. I was honestly watching this with some friends just for laughs. There is racism on TV shows and this is nothing new. The issue with this series is that it was specifically made to spread social awareness. This has an influential ability for that reason alone. In this series they depict whites as these snobby ignorant.. pretty much piece of shit quality people. They have the white boyfriend and he plays the character of a passive little child who's just trying to fit in with all of them. They intentionally make whites look horrible throughout the entire series. They say white bitch and talk shit on white people half of their conversations.

There is absolutely no benefit in saying that racism exist somewhere out there in the ether. That doesn't solve anything. This show just creates more unnecessary hostility. The interactions between blacks and whites on this show aren't reality and people don't actually talk like this.

I sometimes feel as if I'm the only white guy that doesn't take shit from racist minorities. I've been told I'm privileged before by a dude from a BLM stand at my university and I articulated as to why he is racist and how I'm not going to feel guilty because I look white. I don't support cops being killed. A black chick called me white boy in a derogatory tone and I responded by saying "Okay black boy". Girl flipped her shit. Fuck her. I wasn't a slave owner. Blacks have equal opportunities in the US just as whites do. Fuck off with all that noise. You're not a victim. Fuck racism in general and fuck this show. Just my opinion boyos.
  • I think it's racist
  • I think it's racist and I agree with your opinion 100%
  • Neutral
    Vote C
  • I don't think it's racist
    Vote D
  • I haven't seen the show.
    Vote E

814

Most Helpful Girl

• I've only seen clips and yeah - it's just another racial divide. People act as though it's the entirety of white people creating the racial biased in society when it isn't - it comes from all races. We're all a part of the culture.

I can't stand this concept that these people have to prove something to "all white people." How about we actually focus on the fact that society as a whole is royally fucked and make it about an imbalance of rights for fellow HUMANS instead of making it all about proving something against white people? Acting like all white people are ignorant and racist is no different than saying all black people are ghetto criminals - it's the same shit, but it's deemed "okay" because apparently we all adhere to the concept of eye-for-an-eye when it comes to social vengeance.

I've been told primarily by people online that as a white female I'm not allowed to have an opinion. A girl on here was bitching about how men desire white women of a specific body type, and I told her I didn't believe that was universally true - but because I was a white girl, I "had most of these qualities and was essentially a rich person telling a poor person that living in poverty wasn't so bad." And of course you remember that guy who told me I couldn't have standards towards men because I was pretty and white.

It's ridiculous. We have strength in numbers and should be focusing on the fact that people are being wronged and take it straight to the people doing the wrong - not take it out on people who have nothing to do with it just because of their skin colour.

Most Helpful Guy

• All the people complaining about this show haven't seen it. It's great. I've watched it twice. It's a damn satire on race and identity politics. They navigate social issues by interweaving it with humor quite brilliantly.

I don't see how the show is racist in any way. It takes place at an elite Ivy League University so of course there's some snobs.

The title Dear White People is a misnomer. Hell the woman who runs the radio show Dear White People at her university loves a white dude. The show isn't about hating anyone.

• I watched three episodes with four other people. One was black. Three were white. And I'm half white/Mexican. We all were laughing at the fact of how blatantly racist it is. We all saw the show together. Are all of our opinions invalid because of yours? Both whites and blacks in the show are attending the university. Why is it that only the whites are snobby and the blacks are not. Yeah she's in love with a white dude. What character does that white dude play? He plays a character as a passive child trying to fit in with the blacks. What the show is doing is creating a racial divide under this false foundation of social awareness.

• I replied on Elarra's mytake and it sort of addresses all of these things we've discussed. If you want to reply on there to debate I'd be willing to. I rather just not copy and paste everything onto here.

• Okay thanks for a response man. I'll check it out when I have the time.