What do you guys think about Germans?

so what comes in your mind when you think about Germans, Germany or about central Europe in general?

328

Most Helpful Guy

• I speak German decently well (not quite fluent, but I can hold a conversation). I decided to visit the German-speaking countries as a fun vacation, and as an opportunity to improve my German.

To be completely honest, when I traveled to Germany (from the USA), I thought the Germans were really uptight and snobby (especially in the North). For example, I asked someone (in German) where to buy a Tageskarte for the S-Bahn. I've never done that before, so I had no idea. The man seemed super annoyed, even though he wasn't doing anything.

They weren't quite so rude in Bavaria. I actually thought that the Austrians were generally a lot nicer and more patient with my not-quite-fluent German.

I liked Liechtenstein, and found Switzerland to be a bit underwhelming. My favorite German-speaking place I visited was actually in Italy (Südtirol). The people were nice, the food was excellent, and the scenery was breathtaking.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not much, just weird clothes/styles. A lot of german tourists come here in the summer (Sweden) and I've actually been able to point them out before I know for sure. Like I've been outside with my parents or friends and have seen a person/couple and said to my family/friends that "he/she/them over there are probably german", just based on their hairstyle and clothes, and then a few seconds later sure enough we hear them start speaking german haha. I've never been wrong when I've said that.