21 year old female who is scared shizzless of the dentist. Advice?

It's all a bit of an exaggeration but I'm pretty scared. I had a tooth pulled yesterday. I survived. I didn't feel it but it was still traumatic for me. I know I'm meant to be an adult but I can't help it! Knowing he's just grabbing a pair of plyers and literally yanking teeth out of my face is nauseating.
I have three more teeth to be pulled. My next visit will undoubtedly make or break me. I have an impacted wisdom tooth. LOWER JAW GUYS! It's got an infection underneath and I'm on antibiotics for 5 days before i can get it pulled. The fact that I couldn't open my mouth and the severe swelling on the side of my face is what made me go to the dentist in the first place. He ended up pulling the one on top of it and giving me the meds.
So here I am. Does anyone have any advice? I'm going to go. I have to. But how can i convince myslef that it won't be that bad. What works for other people with dental fears? I'm desperate. Do you think it will be too much to ask him to put me under while he does it?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 1

• If you have options on sedation then take one. The best experience that I've had was with IV sedation but that requries an anaesthetist to be there too. It puts you in a kind of dream state, the thing passes in an instant and you feel euphoric afterwards. I've also had a lower wisdom pulled with no sedation and it wasn't so bad. Nobody would say it is a fun day out but it's not like anything traumatic, it doesn't make you want to jump out of the chair and run for the hills.

It is far worse in your mind than it is in reality and you'll get through it. Dentists are very used to nervous patients. Make sure that he acknowledges your nerves and reassures you. If he doesn't then get a new dentist, you don't have to put up with anything less than the best treatment.

1|0
    0|0
    • He's a good dentist. Yesterday, I didn't feel anything. I've had fillings that were more painful but like you said, it's in myvhead and knowing what is happening turns my stomach.
      I'm just going to bring headsets I think. I'll watch Scarface and Fight Club and gee myself up for it hahaha

What Girls Said 2

• What is peoples issues with dentists? I will never understand it

1|0
    0|0
    • Someone is actually pulling teeth out of your head. Twisting and yanking and you can hear it squeaking out. Oh God

• Laughing gas girl, request it lmfao

1|0
    0|0
    • That's a good option I'll ask about it haha

• I go to my kids dentist so she has a tv in there which helps distract me. Take music so it's harder to hear all the noise. What I thought about was how much worse it'll get if I don't get it done. Impacted teeth, especially wisdom teeth are no joke. It's shitty for a few days but you'll never feel the pain of impacted teeth again afterward (:

Recommended myTakes