Your thoughts: chaotic or mindful?

Do you control your thoughts? That is the entire question.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can make yourself consciously think about a focused subject, but when your mind wanders, it's away from adult supervision...

• Wow. @fitness-fanatic blocked me simply because she thought I was disagreeing with her, when I was actually just asking her a question. So here is the reply that I was about to leave for her:

Hmm, so basically, the feeling is the physical response, such as getting hot, or a racy heart, and the emotion is the mental response. I have BPD, so there has always been, for me, a disconnect between the two. I'd feel, but was often unaware of the emotion behind it.

Haven't thought of it in this way before, so thanks for sharing this with me :-)

• I really don't get this site I am just looking to meet a nice lady to date lol

What Guys Said 21

• I don't always control my thoughts but I largely control their impact. Being at peace is not about being able to control circumstances, it is about being able to control how you react. The same applies to thoughts. When you can dismiss an invasive thought it stops being invasive. It is reacting that makes thoughts become toxic.

• I always control my thoughts. Sometimes it drives me crazy how much I do. I wish I could just do and say what I want to do all the time, but because I'm conscious of my image and how I present myself toward others, I usually think a lot about something before I do it. It's funny though, when I don't, good things tend to happen to me. But I suppose it also depends on the environment and situation. If I loose my temper though, I just let what I feel come out and it's usually not sugar coated. Also, when I'm drunk, I'm more relaxed and uninhibited to be careful of what I say. I'm mostly critical of my thoughts when I'm in a professional environment or out around professionals or in like a more upscale event or environment. Also, being of dark skin, and having the majority of a lighter skinned populous around me, I try to be extra careful since I don't want to be looked down upon as a thug or uneducated. Even though I've looked at a pole which said that women prefer black guys that are rough and dominant. Ah well.

• The question is not whether you control your thoughts, but whether they control you... Unconscious thoughts become the reactions of unknown triggers, that cause pain and suffering. Once you become aware of your thoughts, they no longer control you.

It's also possible to stop thinking too. For me, simply knowing that it was possible to stop (eckhart tolle), was enough for me to learn how to do it. At first, you will probably only be able to stop thinking for a few seconds, then 1 min, then 5 minutes... then 20 minutes. This creates a stillness within, changes how you feel, changes how you interact with others, and is a peaceful feeling.

Unconscious thoughts are like running a small marathon in your mind... but without realizing you are doing any running... you also have no idea how detrimental unknown thoughts are on your life, well-being, and health.

Here is a simple example. Say you have to do a job you don't particularly like. On the journey your unknown thoughts reinforce your disdain for the job, you complain about the traffic in your mind, you say ''oh no it's Monday'', then you talk to yourself about how you can't wait for it to finish etc etc.

How do you think you'd feel if instead of all of those thoughts, you had silence and complete stillness. Along with that comes an acceptance of the situation as you move more into the now (surrender). You still dislike the job, you still don't want to be there, but the difference is that you no longer have a voice in your head empowering all of those feelings. Be mindful of what you think... lest your thoughts become you.

• My mind is a strange place. Seriously…strange. I wish I could give people a tour.
    Here is the thing. I might not seem like I’m very focused, but I am. I always am. And I notice details, the ones, which nobody (god, don’t take me literally) does. There is main thread and insane amount of side threads, all running at once. For me it’s not one or the other. For me it’s mix of both. And it can work out, but I have to keep in mind, that we still don’t have direct thought transfer, so I have put out only something. And the details, god, the details, which get lost. Maybe it’s not worth sharing, maybe it is.

• I played around with thought control bakc in high school, and found a way to run two or more trains of thought at the same time. Though there's always a limit to it. One can only have so much mental capacity.

When I'm really bored though my thoughts stay in a state of chaos. Could start out thinking about what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow, to quantum physics, to programming and then to thinking about friends. It's weird.

• Depends on the current mood.
    When I am very sad and depressed, my thoughts are all over the place.

Sometimes I can't even understand how I came to the conclusions I did afterwards and feel like a crazy person because of it.

But usually I do control my thoughts in the sense, that I know why I am thinking what I am thinking.

If you want a more 'scientific' take on the question, the answer would be a clear no. As every thought is a response to something. Even if you are thinking about something unrelated to your current situation, something did trigger it.

• I disagree with everything as a response to something. I am thinking about nothing right now and I just woke up about 30 minutes ago. thoughts can be triggered, I agree with that concept.

• our = humanity or more precisely the scientific community.

• chaotic and at the moment depressed

• Probably my brain is my biggest enemy... when I'm feeling bad the chain of thoughts makes me want to die, when I'm happy it get the best thoughts...

• Yeah, i only open up my thoughts is when i go to a therapist
    but even there i don't open up about much.

• Yeah in Day time but can't at night when I was totally alone in my room all nights are horrible for me since my seperation

• I let my brain do its own thing, but I keep my actions rational.

• I don't keep my self from thinking bad thoughts, I just let it go, be who I am in my own head. It's how you respond to the bad thoughts that matters.

• in what aspect do you mean?

• Yes i do !!

• yes I do

• My thoughts are chaotic

• Thoughts cannot be controlled, they come& go

• Both

• yes I do

• Yes I do

• I have strange thoughts at times but I do have control over my thoughts in my mind though so it's all good

What Girls Said 10

• I can control my thoughts and emotions. I just can't control my feelings

• Feelings and emotions are the same thing?

• @dragonfly6516

Emotions and feelings are distinct. Emotions usually proceed feelings
      Love is a feeling, anger is an emotion. I can't control loving someone , but I can control how often I think about them , and I can control the anger I feel over their betrayal. Feelings can cause an emotional response

• Both. I process a lot at once but I'm very good at organizing and managing it on the go. Sometimes I'm so self-controlled that people tell me it's creepy. I've just grown up in a very volitile environment where letting my gaurd down and/or feeding into taunts, verbal/physical abuse and lies (which was the norm in my home) was extremely dangerous for me.

• And I'm very emotional. I just take a while to aknowledge them when things get really intense. My defensive state is to go cold and calculated in the heat of the moment. People will think I'm really innocent and naive until they push too hard and realize that they're the ones who are out of their eliment.

• Well no one is that's for sure lol

• If I'm in a bad mood or overwhelmed my thoughts are chaotic. The rest of the time I'm overly mindful.

• I do not at all. My thoughts control me

• Generally blue

• I do control my thoughts. Mind is wild and must be kept on check at all times

• Definitely chaotic.

• Of course. my thoughts are under my control

• Chaotic