Can extreme loneliness induce Schizophrenia?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just curious. If you already have a chance to get Schizophrenia because of your genes, can being extremely lonely speed up the process or make you more likely to get it?

(((((Sorry I'm dumb)))))

Most Helpful Guy

• No, but if you're predisposed to it you can develop it from a multitude of factors. But just being lonely will not induce it.

What Guys Said 18

• Possibly. Because then you might start developing "company" for yourself manifested from your imaginary friends in a sense. Or you could develop a psychosis, because of a growing feeling of detachment from others and the socially. Here is a good site on the subject:

www.schizophrenia.ca/...re_about_schizophrenia.php

• Im no therapist so i dont really know but id imagine that shutting yourself off from the world can induce schizophrenia because all you'll do is think to yourself and after a while you'll start to hear voices. At least thats what i think.

I would suggest that people who have a high chance of becoming schizophrenic leave the house more and get in touch with tons of people. It may keep the voices at bay and will definitely give you more options on who to go to if they find themselves slipping towards crazy.

• i'm fairly certain that it cannot

• I really don't know much about it but I like to stay lonely and I do most of my time , some times I feel depressed and sometimes I get smart ideas that can help me in any problem I have other time I write short stories and I like what I write , but I guess I would like to have schizophrenia , then I could do in my subconscious what I can't do when iam awake

• solitude can both physically and mentally alter the mind, as can many things. Extreme solitude can definitely do serious damage, including similar conditions to schizophrenia. Hallucinations, disconnects to reality and a certain loss of self, especially.

• Yes. Because you only focus on yourself. Sometimes you can do that to much its nice to have a touch of the outside world once in awhile

• I don't think so.

• No question is dumb. And I don't believe so. But anything is possible. But I think you're ok. maybe just lonely. some of us have that as well.

• I might have gotten it from my loneliness.

• No. How do I know? I don’t have it. :-)

• No, i'm not a schizophrenic

• im a schizophrenic and i dont think so

• I think loneliness or isolating in the house can contribute to one getting Schizophrenia.

• Nope

• extreme loneliness can lead you to talk to your pets

• I think both, maybe not loneliness but perhaps a product of ones involvement

• What? no.

I'm a psychologist.

• why are u lonely? I would fuck u

What Girls Said 1