Am I the only one concerned for our planet?

Global warming is serious, why disregard it as a problem? If you think it won't affect you, here's a list of ways it could:

Sea level: predicted to rise by up to 1m by 2100

Extreme weather: intense hurricanes may become more frequent

Drought: more likely in mid-latitude regions, due to a combination of higher temperatures and 30% less rainfall

Flooding: rainfall is predicted to increase in the tropics and at high latitudes, causing more frequent floods

Food production: global crop yields predicted to decrease by over 30% by 2050

Extinctions: species extinctions will become more likely, with 40% of ecosystems affected this century

Human health: increased instances of respiratory problems and infectious diseases

Still in denial? You can't argue with facts.

But still, not many people seem concerned about this, but a 1m rise in sea level is very concerning. If you feel like global warming isn't a problem, go check the facts.

Most Helpful Guy

• The planet's gonna out-live us, that's for sure. The eco campaigns shouldn't be all about saving the planet, it should be about saving ourselves from our own destruction. The planet's fine. It'll refresh itself and be left standing long after we're gone.

• To be fair, if we don't kinda try and slow global warming we'll all die quicker so that's the main concern.

• We are a very selfish race to be fair.

• Thanks for the most helpful.

Most Helpful Girl

• people don't see things like this. Like all the littering I try to tell my people at least to stop. We have one planet, why people act like they don't understand I don't know

What Guys Said 25

• The planet's average temperature has been rising as of late. That is provable.

The CAUSE is a whole different matter.

The most obvious examples are that both Venus and Mars have also seen a temperature increase. How many SUVs are driving around, and how many fossil fuels are being burned on Mars?

I think it's clear that we humans DO contribute to global warming, but I think it's also clear that the planet would be warming with or without us. It also cools with or without us. Why? Because the amount of radiation that the sun puts out varies.

The winter of 1944 was one of the coldest on record, and we'd already had almost 100 years of Industrial Revolution with massive amounts of coal smoke and dust belching into the air - but the primary cause of the cold years in the 40s was reduced output of the sun. Similarly, the planet was very cool during most of the first millennium, then there was the "Medieval Warming Period" from about 950-1250, and then came what we call the "Little Ice Age" where the planet cooled again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

The cause of these was almost entirely solar activity - yet today, we pretend that solar activity isn't a factor and that the current heating period is 100% human caused.

I think we all understand that humans CONTRIBUTE to the problem - and we have recognized that and have been working on solutions for decades, and that work is starting to really pay off with affordable solar panel energy systems and electric cars, as major examples.

Is there still work to be done? Absolutely. But such major progress doesn't happen overnight - solar energy and electric cars took several decades to become feasible, and near-future solutions in other areas are a decade or two away - but we ARE working the problem. We have to not destroy the global economy (which would lead to a world war in a world of nuclear weapons - what would THAT do to the planet?) in the process, too.

When I was a kid in the 70s, recycling was a pretty new idea, and aluminum cans and glass bottles were about the only thing that was recycled - and even then, tens of thousands of tons of them were thrown away and ended up in landfills - along with all kinds of toxic things.

Today, most of us have at least 3 different containers to separate "garbage" - with half of our output being recycled. That's HUGE progress.

The point is: it takes time to change attitudes and behaviors, but we're making progress all the time. So relax a little.

• Wow... such doom and gloom - always comes from the left. ALWAYS! The people pushing climate change live as though nothing is happening. (Al Gore, Leonardo DiCaprio, Darryl Hannah, and others...)

Yet they insist WE make lifestyle changes and... get this - PAY our money to THEM because they're gonna fix what's going on through govt influence.

Seriously? In truth all that's happening is exactly what Obama represented all 8 miserable years he was President - and that's redistribution of US wealth. Sorry, but that don't sound like climate change fixes to me.

Now... you're concerned about a 1M rise in sea level. So where is all this extra water coming from? Please don't even mention the polar ice caps melting because even IF that happened, the sea would only rise about 4"-6", FAR short of the 1 meter.

Also the left LOVES to push doom and gloom because they know it plays on people's fears. Indoctrinating school kids is a perfect way to push their failing agenda. So calm down and please stop worrying. Worry never fixed anything anyway.

• I'm not concerned by it because it's not the end of the world. Beyond that if you look over the last 100 years or so this is something that is constantly happening. In other words people trying to say that the earth is getting too cold or too hot and that we'll all die because of it. I believe it was back in the 1990s when well educated scientists were predicting that the world would fall into another ice age. Now the tune has changed but the simple matter remains... by causing worry and panic about global warming, those scientists who study it have everything to gain. More fear about an issue means more money dedicated towards the study of it, meaning they are profiting by causing a panic. We know for a fact the earth has been warmer in the past than it is today and that it was while humans were still alive. One of the greatest evidences for this would be graves in Iceland that were discovered. Graves specifically in permafrost ground. In other words graves that could not have been dug in permafrost ground with the equipment they had in the time period we know them to have been dug. And yet, as these graves are in a state of permafrost today, they must have been dug in a time hotter than it is now most likely sometime during the dark ages. Basically... we survived then and there's no reason to assume we won't survive now. (Also the myth that warming is caused by CO2 was debunked a long time ago. Time lines showing the correlation between CO2 and temperature show that CO2 increases and decreases as a result of the change in temperature, not the other way around. Any way... those are my uneducated thoughts that will get us all killed :) How did your day go?

• That was a pretty great and educated reply so thank you!

• No problemo :) I am just very into science so its something i care about lol

• I gotcha :) There was I film I watched a while back entitled "An Inconsistent Truth" that was made to address the issues with "An Inconvenient Truth." It's a good watch if you're ever interested.

• @jodie01 We're all going to die either way. Nothing to fret about. If you are concerned, well then, what do you plan to do or hope to do? I believe it's futile and the worst is simply just that, inevitable and beyond our control. Even if we save our planet, we still die, eventually. Because eventually our sun becomes a red giant one day, but humans might already be long gone way before then. I'm already aware of that there is going to be another mass extinction event that is inevitable.

Just live your life and enjoy every moment of it for as long as you can and for as long as it would last. Focus more on the things that you really have control over and can actually do something about.

• some of these "facts" are totally bogus, for example the measure they used to show the hurracane intensity is $$$ damage, but the buildings are more densely packed so the trend is actually following amount of property that can be damaged.

co2 levels and thermal levels are out of sync, how can the earth be warming before industry and suddenly change causes when industry took hold?

co2 makes plants grow, if we would stop clear cutting rain forests for cash crops and biofuel land then we could pit the co2 to work. All fossil fuels are made of matter once in the ecosystem, we simply return it by decomposition, we simply put a generator between the old matter and the carbon cycle to use the carbon once for our needs before it returns to the earth surface.

climate models fail constantly to accurately predict past and future climate with the variables they tell you (us and co2), so why should you trust a fear monger who has shakey and contradictory data?

I think that there are bigger fish to fry such as cleaning particulates, cleaning heavy metals, stopping trash from ending up in the ocean, etc. climate change is tiny compared to the threat of war or the threat of mercury in fish and over fishing.

for now, fossil fuels and some nuclear tech (molten salt reactors, thorium fuels) are the only clean way, solar panels are manufactured in China with little safe guards and contain some nasty material, renewable are expensive and unreliable for forced conversion, a man this is largely due to our infrastructure being designed for fossil fuel. the only way to use renewable is to open the market (small as possible regulations, no subsidies if at all possible) and allow consumers, small business and individuals to find a solution that works for each individual situation.

before you listen to al gore, know that he burns more energy in a week than my entire family can hope to burn in over a month (even with his solar array which produces at best less than 10% of what he uses). he is a hypocritical fear monger with false data.

if you want to solve the problem, develop a better technology to provide our industrial needs and economic growth and be sustainable before we run out of fuel. I suggest you look at power to fuel tech as that would integrate with our current systems perfectly.

• The planet is always changing. It changed before humans existed and it will continue to change long after we have evolved or become extinct.

Pollution of our earth by toxic waste, plastic and trash is certainly something we CAN change.

Climate change perhaps not so much. There are so many factors that frankly are probably not well understood enough to be able to definitively say 'humans are the sole, dominant cause of climate change'.

Hell, forecasters can barely predict snowfall.. or a hurricane track 4-5 days out.

It's also wise to consider what benefit those that push the climate change initiative might receive, weigh that against theories/facts and then begin to decide for yourself. Somewhere between 'humans are not causing' and 'humans are causing' is the truth.

• No one wants global warming, and you aren't the only one concerned. Do you think people are willing to not use carbon based energy though? Your parents can choose to completely not use carbon power, but do they? Would you have rather given up modern technology to live primitively 100 years ago when there weren't non-carbon options? I think those questions are important. It's easy to state that you don't want global warming, would you have forgone having energy if you lived in the past? Hopefully we are close to minimally using fossil fuels.

• Funny thing is Americans are the only people who discard it. Shouldn't have elected Trump...

• I have an ongoing respiratory problem in fact.
    And i am actually concerned about it. But we can't do anything about it because the vast majority and the government will keep abusing the hell out of our host mother nature.
    It's one of 100 reasons why I'm childfree. Because we are like a widespread swarm of cockroaches for the planet.

I feel the healthiest and most relaxed in the nature actually. When i was out for a corporate vacation in a big area full of nature, forest, lakes and seas i have temporarily forgot my severe and everlasting depression.

And we human scum demolish it all and everything else just to make monetary profit 🀦🀦🀦🀦🀦🀦🀦

If you want things to go wrong, add humans to anything. Humans will fuck up anything they can get their hands on.
    There's no saving the planet unless we all disappear.

• The simple truth is unless we stop living the way we live right now, and start running around the woods naked eating bugs, it won't change, and we can be concerned all we want but we humans refuse to change. But good news everyone, in the end, mother nature is going to fuck us back a hell of a lot harder with a much bigger dick. so dont feel too bad.

• And what would you like to do?
    How will you stop the planet from releasing these harmful gases as the heat transfers from our sun to earth in a constant imbalance... which is the greatest contributing factor of global warming

Im assuming no one ever lived on Venus and the place has become a sona soaring at 800 degrees Celsius

• Ummmm no. Please study physics. In particular:
      1. Gravity
      2. Thermodynamics and heat transfer; in particular, the equipartition theorem.
      3. Statistical mechanics
      4. Molecular Dynamics and in particular kinematic modes.

• Human activity is putting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. The greenhouse gas is a gas with three or more atoms in a molecule. With each additional atom there are additional modes for storing energy. That storage of energy is ultimately released in the form of motion which means that tential energy is being transferred into kinetic energy. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of a molecule. Thoughts with four greenhouse gases, you get more energy storage which leads to more kinetic energy which leads to a higher temperature. That's global warming. It is human activity that has led to a steady secular increase in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and in particular carbon dioxide. This science is so basic it was first predicted by Swedish physical chemist Svante Arrhenius (who won the 1903 Nobel Prize for Chemistry) in April 1896 β€” over 120 years ago.

• This is his original paper predicting global warming: Arrhenius, Svante (1896). β€œOn the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air Upon the Temperature of the Ground.” Philosophical Magazine 41: 237-76.
      www.rsc.org/images/Arrhenius1896_tcm18-173546.pdf

• you are using your phone which is a threat to the environment ( Google it if u don't know) so you are not concerned about our planet. so don't try to act like that and many people are out there who are really concerned bout it and working day and night to save it

• Ok yes because me using my phone means im not concerned... Grow up

• just try to read your question once again and then answer better for you

• Dude , i know im not the only one concerned. Its a linguistic device to grab attention like question titles XD

• As a student, i understand that it is a problem but what can i do about it? Nothing.
    So just leave it to the people in charge of that shit and chill it is not like our scientists are ignoring it completely and aren't taking any measures to reduce it.
    Probably not gonna survive long enough to witness some really bad consequences as well. Even if i do, i can still do nothing about it so iamma chill until then.

• I believe in global warming, but to someone who doesn't all they would see is he you didn't cite any of your information.

• You're not the only one, but there isn't enough being done

• I share your concerns.

• Jodi, why don't you give me a few ideas of your solutions?

Not only am I not convinced of everything you've posted, but I want to know what you would even want to do assuming all of this was true.

• if you stop at look at Global Warming. Every time a housing addition is built. or a road. and you remove trees and fields. you're causing the temps to warm. we are the cause of global warming. we are taking away natuals way of cooling the Earth.

• It's ok

• Don't worry, we have billions of planet in our Universe.

• i think you are considering yourself as an alien... you should change your friend zone to realize that you are also human

• no, but at your age you will be thinking of getting a DL and a car soon enough.

• no not really worried

• I think global warming is real. My brother says that it may be real, but we only started recording temperatures when we first put cars on the road. It could very well have been rising long before humans started doing anything. Global warming could be 100% natural. Temperature rises and falls overtime, so we might just be in a time of rising temperature and in a few years it could be falling temperature again. It is a valid point, but I'm kind of skeptical.

• And how do you fix it? We are all the cause of the problem including yourself.

• We cut back on emissions of carbon and other greenhouse gases. And, personally, my carbon footprint isn't large. I walk where and when I can, I recycle, I don't burn stuff like other fire-crazed teenagers. I try to do my best to cut back.

• We can slow it down though. Thats why electric cars and renewable energy sources are becoming more popular

• Research the batteries that power these cars and see how toxic they are.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm concerned as well. The way we do things in America seems to be waiting until the last minute to solve problems, and that won't work for global warming.

• Canadians are paying carbon tax thanks to Trudo. Whoever is concerned about global warming should start paying carbon tax. Ask Trudo where to send money

• Yeah. You're literally the only person in the whole world who cares about global warming. Not even environmental scientists and the EPA care about global warming. Good job.

• I'm on the fence with global warming but I do believe if we keep on going with the rate we are with wasting food and how factory farming is polluting the earth. Somewhere down the line global warming could possibly happen. People are so wasteful now a days, it's crazy.

• I'll be dead by 2100.

• No I think Al Gore is concerned too