Can you change a flat tire if needed?

I had a blowout coming home. I tried calling roadside assistance and they were incompetent and couldn't get a hold of any services in the area. I finally flagged down some stranger to help me and he went home and got a jack, socket set and drill to change the tire. I'll have to buy a new tire in the am on the way to work.

919

Most Helpful Girl

• I know how to do it in practice, but have never actually done it, and I feel like I wouldn't be strong enough to use the jack to lift up the car before changing the tire.

Most Helpful Guy

• I could probably take the entire car apart down to the last bolt with my eyes closed. I couldn't put it together with my eyes closed though.

I can't guess how many times I've pulled tires off. It's easily into the hundreds.

Buy a set of Craftsmen tools when they have a good sale and start working on your car. Buy a used Haynes manual from Amazon or where ever.

Unless the tire was practically new, you should buy tires in pairs unless you really can't afford it. You want them to match and have approx the same wear.

What Girls Said 8

• Yes I can.

• I honestly can't say I could.

• Nope I can't

• Yes I can

• I have no idea how lol. Maybe driver's ed would tell me, or my dad

• AHA Id just wait for a man to come

• I never tries, so I dont think I can

• Of course! Actually had to do it yesterday.

What Guys Said 18

• I can and have, although the last time I got a flat was in a company vehicle, and there wasn't a jack or tire iron in the vehicle so I had to call a tow truck. Boss didn't like that receipt on my expense report until I told him he needed to buy a jack and tire iron if he wants me changing a flat on the side of the road.

• I don't drive but if a person asked for my help and had the tools - I think I could do it - I have seen been done a lot but I would probably be a last resort for someone in the sense that if they had tools in car they are probably able to do it themselves

• Yeah, I know how to change a flat tire.

• The last time I had a flat tire, it took 6 whole minutes to change it, because I had to empty a bunch of work crap out of my trunk first and then put it back. Actually changing the tire took 2-3 minutes. It isn't exactly rocket science.

• I've done way more serious repairs on the side of the road.

• Of course I can... how can you not? If you are disabled or otherwise physically unable I can understand that. If you are physically able though, I just don't understand how you can't.

• I had no equipment except the tire in my cat

• That is no way to roll... honestly, basic equipment and preparations in a vehicle should be planned for. If I were you, I'd have a sit down and think about what you need in your car in the event something predictable happens. A flat tire is the easy one. Being stranded somewhere for a while would be the second thing I'd look at.

• Nope, but I would call my girlfriend. She knows how to

• Yes, I can change a flat tire if needed.

• I've done that many times.

• I've done much more serious repairs on the side of the road. Tires are easy.

• Yes it's very simple. If anyone doesn't know, and they drive, they ought to youtube how to do it. Most cars come with a jack and a big wrench thingie to take the lugs off.

• yes, I change the standard tyres for winter tyres every year

• Yes! I'm able to do that.

• I can, I even rotate my own tires every few months

• Yeah

• Ever since I was 10

• Where is your spare tire and tire changing kit?

• I had the tire but nothing else

• Not good! The car must have come with one... if you lost it, tough way to find out. Hope you weren't stuck too long.

I'd regularly check my spare's air pressure as part of regular maintenance on the car, too.

• I don't even drive lol