G@G Users Under The Age Of 30: Is Your Generation REALLY Different From Your Parent's Generation?

Every generation has "trademarks" which distinguish it from the preceding generation. When I was a young man (shortly after the Spanish-American War,) we wore long, shaggy hair and bell-bottom jeans. We adorned everything with peace symbols. Our rock and roll was radically different from the music of 10 years earlier. We said "man" very frequently, like "Hey, man, what's happening? Man, I'm so freaked out, man!" We said things like, "Do you have your shit all in one shoe?" and "Groovy, man, groovy!" And we thought that we were SO RADICALLY DIFFERENT from everything that preceded us!

The truth is that we were mostly like the preceding generation. Just as our parents had done, we rebelled in our teen years. We did not want to do any activities with our family. We went to great lengths to "prove" that we were different from "the old fogies." Some of us got obsessed with alcohol and drugs, some of us had a mild flirtation with alcohol and drugs, and some of us were as straight as an arrow. Did you know that people were having premarital sex 100 years ago? My generation did not invent premarital sex and neither did your generation!

Some of us "dropped out" and became "hippies;" the preceding generation called its dropouts "beatniks" and an even earlier generation had dubbed its dropouts "Bohemians." When we reached puberty, most of us were obsessed with the opposite sex. Guys constantly talked about girls with big boobs and getting laid. Girls wanted to have the coolest-looking boyfriend who was at least a little bit of a rebel. . . and he HAD to have a car. Girls started mentally planning their wedding by the time they were 8 or 9 years old. Guys started talking about what kind of car they wanted to buy when they got older. Does ANY of this sound familiar?

Of course you grew up with cell phones, PCs, tablets, social media, and we didn't. . . but those differences don't make us significantly different, do they?

• I am 30 years old or older and I'm just here to see the answers
  • I am under the age of 30; my generation is JUST LIKE the preceding generation
  • I am under the age of 30; my generation is MOSTLY LIKE the preceding generation, but there are some important differences
    Vote C
  • I am under the age of 30; my generation is MOSTLY DIFFERENT from the preceding generation, but there are some similarities
    Vote D
  • I am under the age of 30; my generation is TOTALLY UNLIKE the preceding generation
    Vote E
Select a gender to cast your vote:
Many of you are missing the point. Of course, when your parents grew up, their lives were different. don't need anyone to tell me that their parents didn't have cell phones when they were kids.

I am asking about the wants, desires, and motivations of people, the things that don't depend upon technology, the things that attract people to each other, the things that make people jealous, etc. If you think that your life is summed up by your cell phone. . . that is very sad!
You look at patterns of behavior and not the possessions that were their toys.

"The truth is that we were mostly like the preceding generation. Just as our parents had done, we rebelled in our teen years. We did not want to do any activities with our family. We went to great lengths to "prove" that we were different from "the old fogies." Did you know that people were having premarital sex 100 years ago? My generation did not invent premarital sex and neither did your generation!

1328

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm very close to my mom and we talk a lot, so I get some insight into what the previous generation was like, and I'd say we're more smiliar than different. I believe that on a basic level, people really don't change much. For the most part, we have the same basic desires, fears, and behavior patterns as people did 1000 years ago. That being said, there are a lot of significant differences in attitudes and behaviors of different generations. For example, attitude toward homosexuality.

Most Helpful Guy

• Most definitely we are just like our parents or preceding generation. Rock and Roll in yours was such a perfect example.

• Lol your update reminds me of an old question of yours. I don't remember the entire premise of it but I believe it was tattoos and promiscuity. And how people confuse causation and correlation on that question.

• Excellent memory!

Every generation does the same thing. They convince themselves that they are significantly different from all of their predecessors and, in doing so, demonstrate that they are very much like their predecessors (who also thought they were significantly different!)

• Exactly. And Music is a huge indicator of that. Your generation was Rock n Roll, and before you it was folk music and after WWI it was Jazz and so on. That is if I remember correctly.

What Girls Said 12

• When I was reading the description, the "Spanish-American War" text caught my attention. I doubted that you, original poster, were born in the late 19th century, so I assumed that you referred to "shortly after" in terms of decades.

People who are in my parents' generation are probably the MOST patient people I've ever encountered. When my father once asked me a visualization of my future, he told me to "slow down" and not be overly idealistic because things do not always go as planned. Most people in my generation seek fulfillment through instant gratification but I guess that's only because we're inexperienced (we all were, at one point in our lives.)

One thing I've also observed is the older generations' certainty of robots not dominating the workforce. I have talked to parents of my friends and to my own parents about this emerging phenomenon and they all dismissed my fears with words such as, "Why not be the one who'd fix the robots?", and "It will not happen because no one's actually rich enough to do that instantly." Most people in my age (including me) are alarmed of entry-level jobs being taken away by robots because companies now seem to be keen on minimizing expenses.

It seems impossible not to incorporate technology in this topic because I think the advancements serve as the distinctions between generations. However, I really think we're all the same in terms of motivation (being happy and successful) through involvement in different activities because that's us being in touch with our human nature.

• That was a very thoughtful reply. My reference to being a young man shortly after the Spanish American War (1898) was simply my rather dry, tongue in cheek humor (consistent with my English heritage.) Actually, I was born in 1955 so I was a young man during the Vietnam War.

• Oh, I see.
      Thank you for the clarification!

• Nope. Not once we're in adulthood and self sufficient, it all becomes the same.
    Technology and having new and up to date things are probably more prominent in my generation than my parents, but society in general has become much more disposable orientated

• I feel we are mostly the same, the only difference is the immersion in the online world rather than the real world. My parents are only getting used to the new technologies, whereas I was born right when the big break happened. There are some differences, for example when my parents graduated from school, they got get almost what ever job they wanted to with their education. Now there aren't any jobs available and everyone has to fight for them like hell. But behavioural patterns are mostly the same, have always been. The changes have occurred in the surrounding society, not the people.

• Totally different. We have dank memes now

• My parents had totally different lives in past. Living in villages, siblings sharing rooms, rowing boats, swimming and just being very close to the river because the village my parents come from is in the bank of one of our widest rivers. The past generation was more into classical music than the pop/rock kind of songs. And because my parents were very young during the time of war, they grew up with the typical difficulties that every newborn nation faces after a war ends. So yeah. It was very different.

And then there's me. Can't swim, door of my room shut 24/7. Let alone sharing my bedroom I don't even eat with my family. My parents were just like any other teenager in psychology, but the lifestyles were different. They passed their time being addicted to fishing that's all.

That being said my parents are fairly old (dad is in his late 50's), I'm the youngest in my family. My friends' parents seem to have less differences with us because one decade or two matters a lot.

• Ah got your update. Because my parents were raised in strictly religious families in villages, all the classic teenager stuff were not only harder but also kind of unethical to do. But yes, there was a lot of rebellious minds because of the political unrest that eventually led to war. People wanted freedom, and obviously being from a poor nation, people think of earning for the family at a young age.

But obviously they were also humans in the end so they had all the same feelings with a different mindset. I hope I could answer.

• I think there are some distinct differences. The milennials who work for me are very articulate and vocal about what they need and expect. I would have never even considered telling my boss I don't feel valued because of something he did. I would have been expected to be told, "Well then, you can leave and we'll find someone who does feel valued here." I would never have even framed the thought, honestly. I just assumed work was miserable and people take advantage.

The thing is, I don't see this as a drawback. I WISH I'd had the maturity to speak up and to create clear goals for myself. My career might have been much better, and being challenged makes me a better manager and improves our whole work environment.
    Obviously, I'm working with very smart, respectful young people who don't abuse their postions.

• I think we're pretty different, different times will generate different types of people, and although things kinda have cycles in today's society its more complex today then back then.

• I don't know. Yeah we have phones but so does my grandma lol she has a 6. They know about technology too but they also remember things from way back when. We're not so different at least in my family😊

• I believe we're a product of our environment and we go with the trends. So if you were born in 1996, you'd be justtt likeee us 😘

• Having access to current technology and being comfortable with its use does NOT make your generation different than the preceding generation. When they were younger, they, too, had access to then-current technology and were comfortable with its use.

• I agree

• Oh please. How many 20 year olds of this generation are working full time, going to college, and living on their own with a few roommates? Lmao!!

• I see your point however price of tuition and wages not keeping up with inflation is a different subject.

• I am by age an older millennial, and I do feel that the modern technology we have today, has shaped the desires/wants/motivations of many of my generation.

For example, the idea of being "popular" or being "a star" by complete strangers (via social media), I don't think was nowhere near as heavy of a motivation, of the mass majority of generations past.

People taking photos of themselves just to pine for attention is an annoyance. I have Snapchat, I rarely post pics unless it is something out of the ordinary... and I'm starting to get bored of people taking pics with animal filters on them to seek attention. Seems like such a waste of time to be doing this shit EVERY SINGLE DAY.

That time people use to attention-whore on Snap every day, can be spent better elsewhere.

• @Prof_Don When I see HDIL questions and the picture has dog ears and a snout, I tell the person that they look childish. :)

• It's quite different. Different cultures, raised differently.

• exactly the same shit. this covers it all.

What Guys Said 27

• The ONLY difference is the technology. That's it. I can't see any difference between other generations and mine. Humans haven't changed. I don't think millennials feel any more entitled than any other generation preceding them. I really don't. If someone in my parent's generation needed to take on two jobs to support him or herself, they took on two jobs. Same with this generation. Humans haven't changed, technology has. If you gave those people in the 50s the same technology we have now, you'll see a mirror image of millennials and them. Imagine Marilyn Monroe with social media...

• Not true. Different values. Society has gotten lessen religious and sex before marriage is much more common now.

• @ling123 Why do you think sex before marriage is more common now?

• Back in the day people were more religious and less promiscuous. That's why we have more teen pregnancies.

• I think you already know the sad answer to this question. While the baby boomers rioted to stop segregation and the corporate war in Vietnam, the millennials are now rioting to destroy capitalism and western civilization. Have you really listened to the pathetic over sexed and dysfunctional prison music that these idiots have been listening to over the past 20 years? They say that music is a window into the soul. If so than these kids are filling their souls with Satin. When was the last time you've heard a millennial band record meaningful music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_LNVIzqFQ&spfreload=10https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQPj_uKfirM&spfreload=10https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqfDpNymGSE&spfreload=10

These millennial bands simply can't record uplifting music because they're souls are dead! A fish rots from the head down and these kids have been listening to Satin's tune! I rest my case...

• I don’t know, what about “my generation”, but I am different. Hell, people younger than me call me weirdo. But I guess that’s what you get, when you say, that your favorite place for holiday would be Isterian capital system. Fuck, I would even go with Jovians, and they were much earlier. And never have belong under Isteria Imperium Regio.
    I never really cared that much about girls. Sex haven’t had that much influence on me. I never cared about rebelling. Sure, I had my school crush, because…you know…brain, but math, astrophysics and electronics, that was the shit.
    I don’t care, when they have open in some store. Online is the way to go. And that’s pretty much everywhere, not just stores. Physical distance doesn’t really have that much meaning, when you have internet. Our government still doesn’t get that.
    I think, that I was born too early. This civilization isn’t advanced enough for me. Do you think I want to be stuck on this shitty planet? No! I would feel much better somewhere more distant. Some frozen planet, orbiting far away from its star. At least I wouldn’t burn when I would get out (in some suit, of course).
    Human nature is pretty much the same, only “modern tech” shows you that nature in little bit more details. And now, you can see the stupidity. Stupid people everywhere.
    People for some reason still care about your skin tone. How is that relevant to anything? Ideas, personalities and intelligence, that’s the way to go.
    So no, I cannot tell you about “my generation”, because I don’t really belong among them.

• My parents grew up in the Soviet Union. I was born in an already free Latvia. Their views on the world and their ideals are noticeably different from my own.

• I think in general we're mentally weaker than previous generations. I mean... there's no way I could cope in my nan's day (During the war) They were just well harder than what we are. Our generation moans about everything, and then the one younger than mine moans even more about everything.

• I think each generation likes to believe it's exploring brave new worlds, and really pushing the boundaries. I'm not certain to what extent this is true, however.

One important factor that *might* make this more true for the under-30s than previously is the internet - I am of the opinion that we're really not sure what this is doing to our brains and how we interact with other people.

@OlderAndWiser - question for you - I was wondering at some point during the last month or so what generation friction there was between the WW2 generation and their children. I can imagine the former being utterly pissed off with having fought, lost friends etc and then have the Baby Boomers coming up through the ranks. Is that how it was, or do I have this wrong?

• The WWII generation were absolute patriots and they were also conformists. They viewed non-conformists as heretics and idiots who should be burned at the stake! They also resented the openness about sexuality because they were taught to keep that kind of activity very hush-hush.

• Yep, that's as I would have thought, too. Thanks for confirming!

• And rightfully so...

• I'm under the age of 30 and my generation makes me sick. It is fat, entitled, lazy and way too proud of nothing.

• Yes. These fuckers sold out our future for their multiculti experiment.

• My generation is apparently a lot more casual when talking about how much they'd like to die or get run over by something. We're just a strange bunch.

• Were mostly alike really. I have noticed more and more as i grew up that these huge personalities called adults are actually just people like myself, now that im an adult as well. And the generations have different trends and sometimes shifts in general ideology and thinking, but the people more or less remain the same.

• For now it seems like it is different but when we get old we'll be just the same as them and the younger generation will be the same as us.

• I'm older than 30 but my generation is different from my parent's generation.

• "Do you have your shit all in one shoe?"
    That made me laugh

• we are mostly different because we have more access to information growing up and think differently weather thats a good or bad thing I don't know

• How does that make YOU a different person than your father?

• Ok im going to pretend me and my father have the same personality traits which we dont we are almost polar opposites but
      1. we have more ways of achieving our goals for example if my dad wanted to lose weight he would prob be looking at a mens fitness magazine our generation trawls the internet
      2. we interact with more people meaning we should have better people skills
      3. we are also easily offended and easy ally hurt in most cases something im not proud of

• Pretty similar. Whatever they thought, did or have we have our own version of and then are the big differences the make each generation distinct like movements, the way we think, career planning, etc.

• Yes because for some reason we went from identifying Communism as the enemy of the free world to somehow being the solution to our problems

• Communism is horrible! High achievers SHOULD get a bigger slice of the economic pie!

• My generation suffer a lot from a lack of education an altruism, which is my parents' generation fault mostly. They said "fuck traditions" and that's how honor, courtesy, respect, politenes and many crucial values died...

• I am more like my grandparents generation.

• Most kids tend to have friends. Some, even the nerds, claim they have best friends. They don't. Not like they used to be.

• I mean, we're all human. But that said, I think the advent of the internet alone is an incredible shift in our society. A truly monumental technology that draws a line between it and the rest of history.

• And that makes the people different?

• Does any of that affect the way that you interact with your parents? The way that you behave in romantic relationships?

• Kinda, yea. It's informed where I drew my morals, views and humor from and thus traits I might look for a partner. As for my parents, well I'm sure youth have often challenged their elders but the internet has let be be informed about all sorts of things in the world that my parents aren't informed on. The divide between today's youth and elders that aren't internet savvy is much greater.

If it makes you happy, like I said, we're all human, I like boobs like most guys throughout history, I want a family, blah blah blah.

• My generation has differences and similarities with my parents' generation.

• No. Generations are nonsensical ideas which don't exist in the concrete or the abstract.

• Generational differences DO exist, due to how society evolves with time

• Very different.

• When my parents tell me stories of their lives it definitely sounds different

• I think where similar in that we work just as hard if not harder since work has become less labor intensive but at the same time more complex and all generations made mistakes.
    But where different in many ways also. Were less religious more open minded have more varied views have grown up with much better access to information though we also probly spend less time face to face with pepole.
    We almost certainly suffered less because of pain killers, hayfever tablets, and asthma medication etc though still plenty of other problems left over.
    Mostly i think where different because of the internet and how it's shaped us where the same beings but with differences in our experiences.

• What a question... my father was born in 1963, and my mother in 1961. I was born in 1991. They didn't grow up with computers and video games unlike me.

Obviously we are different.