How materialistic are you and do you think males or females are more materialistic?

materialistic: My definition is someone who wants a lot of "things" and always wants those things no matter what it cost, or how much they have they can't have enough.

I don't think I am very materialistic although I do like to go thrift shopping for clothes.
I think females more than males are materialistic although my husband does have a huge video game and table top gaming supplies... I have no idea and no interest in his interest.

• men are
  • women are

1224

Most Helpful Guy

• Statistically women are more materialistic. There a reason the consumer culture is marketed towards women extensively and why corporations advertise it in such ways that they do of the empowered female consumer of class, style, excellence, desire and so on so forth. Women also control 75% of household spending on average even though noteworthy is not all of that go for material goods.

With all that beingsaid though this trend has started to become more common among men as well and marketers are increasingly trying to also cater to this undapped male consumer crowd. The rise and growth of a male consumer is really a new hot trend among corporations, marketing and consumer economics alike. I've also personally observed this trend when I worked for my brother (economist) doing marketing psychology and consumer anslytics for his company he works for.

• 87% of all statistics are made up. 45% of all people know that

• @SuperEunuch Well the funny history with that particular statistic was, ironically, that it was made up. Well it was based on poorly done science anyway. But yes given that statistical mathematics make up foe 30% of my job, I am well versed in the nature and shortcomings of statistics, mainly that they are directional. However usually they are well enough made that the Standard Deviation (s) is small enough p=<0,0X** that the Median mean (Md) does not change the outcome statistically significantly p=<0, X*.

Most Helpful Girl

• The same, men and women are just into different material things. Women seem to spend more on little things (like clothes) that can add up over time, while men spend more on big things (cars, motorcycles, boats, gadgets, etc.) that burn money fast but aren't as frequent. Of course, this is just a stereotype and every individual is different.

What Guys Said 23

• Materialistic to me is valueing material things more than idealistic things. Both men and women in tbe western world as far as i know are more materialistic minded generally due to social conditioning. By the time a westerner is 18 they have consumed over 1 million commercials. Needless to say this causes a culture of consumerism.

• not at all. i know that money can never bring the true happiness in life. Because the things that can bring true happiness in life, can't be bought, which is mostly : True love, Trust,, Family, Friends, Precious Memories, A Mental Connection, Deep Intimacy, etc. things like that. i wish it was possible to buy those things, then i would be very materialistic

• I think Materialistic can be 50/50 in both Males & Females.
    I don't consider myself Materialistic cause i had to struggle
    for everything i got in life.

• I'm materialistic in the sense that I'll save when I can and pay attention to my expenses.

• Women are mormateralistic. Hands down.

And I am pretty non-materailistic. I can and am doing without a lot of luxuries many people have. Though don't want to miss computer/internet and car as well as the things that have become common for us in the west such as constant water, fridge, oven, light, heater.

• I think its more of a person to person thing, something to judge on an individual level, but then again i dont have any statistics maybe women are more materialistic.

• I'm very materialistic.

Both genders are equally materialistic, just in different things. Some guys will think nothing of blowing $5k on a car mod, or a gaming set-up... some girls will think nothing of blowing $5k on a new handbag.

• I voted women, who are in general the most materialistic ones.

Though I'm quite materialistic myself.

• I think it depends on exactly what sort of possessions you're talking about. Seems to me women are more into little stuff; clutter. Clothes, pictures, jewelry, trinkets and other junk.
    Guys are more into useful stuff, or at least their idea of it. I can fit most of my personal belonging - clothes included - into a suitcase, but I have an entire 24x30 shop filled with tools and car parts.

• Haha. My father is putting a huge addition on to the garage. This is the second addition to expand his shop in 10 years. He has NINE welders now.

It seems like a decent plan for a healthy relationship though. My mother has 4 rooms of the house for her fiber crafts and my father has their whole garage and basement. When he retires next year they will both have their own spaces to be alone rather than spending 24hrs together. That way they chose to spend time together rather than just being forced.

• @CheshireCat89 Damn, he's got me beat. Only got 2 welders haha.

• Hard to say. I think men might throw a lot of money into a car of their dreams while a woman might spend money on lots of different clothes.

• Im a taurus probably the most materialistic people in the world

• I disagree with your definition. For me materialistic is gold digger. If you spend your money on anything you like you have all the right to. But materialistic is someone who would date me for my money or expect me to give them stuff for having sex with me.

• It depends on the person not the gender. I'm a little materialistic with guitars, I've got rare vintage guitars that I have a small collection of, and that's literally the only things that make me kinda materialistic.

• My dating experience women like me to pay for them truthfully

• I'm not materialistic.

I don't ever really want anything. Only once the thing I have stops working. Such as my laptop so I got a newer and better one.

But I don't replace clothes, or shoes, phones. :/

• On the whole I think women are but there is a reason for the saying..."the only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys"... becaise We like our "things" too.

• women are

• I don't know any men that look at how much a women makes as a deciding factor between mates.

• I am very less materialistic, more nature friendly, the hard truth ll always remain the same that you ll remain healthier and happier with non materialism. Minimalism is a better phenomenon to follow instead of materialism

• Apparently women spend over 3/4 of household disposable income.

• The way I think is that you can't take it with you

• I believe both are, but women are a bit high on scale.

• I agree w Driver Solus. Most men including me don't give a crap where a girl works. As long as she's hot we're good. Women in my experience want a lot of materialistic things, especially here in the United States. How many men do you know of that are w an 80 year old lady for her cash? I'm not saying there aren't any but I guarantee you can spot a lot of women out there who are w men who could be their grandfathers. I tend to think it's women because they're raised, not all of them but a lot of them are raised w that princess mentality.

What Girls Said 11

• Men and women have different materialistic things they obsess about. For example my boyfriend splurges on everything computer related - mouses, mouse pads, headphones, gaming chairs, keyboards, fans, graphic cards... And the list goes on and on. But he's not really a careless spender.

I'm not that much of a materialist myself. I hate shopping and like to buy only necessary things. But I do agree that for the most part women are more easily drawn to material things. It's easy to sell jewelry, clothes, bags and makeup to women. My mom is one of those women who has a closet full of clothes and some she has never even worn.

• I'd say women tend to be more materialistic. But then guys love their toys too.

I'm not very materialistic. I like having some nice things, but I don't have expensive taste, and I prefer spending my money on experiences rather than possessions.

I used to buy a LOT of shit (clothes, etc) but that changed a few years ago and I'm glad for it. I enjoy the odd flea market or second hand store, and if I need something I will buy it, but I'm quite the minimalist.

• I'm not that materialistic. I hate shopping, and only ever buy things I really need, and I don't see my ideal future full of sport cars and a luxurious big house. My dream is to live with my man in a small cozy home living off almost bare essentials. The basic needs, and enough resources getting to fulfill our hobbies and interests. I think in majority women are more materialistic

• I think we all want nice things; it's human nature to want to accumulate resources and be better off than your neighbour.
    For me, I could always use more clothes--especially coats, jackets, and boots. I like to collect shiny things as well, haha. But I always stay within my budget.
    I think men and women are equally likely to enjoy accumulating material possessions; women are simply more likely to get noticed for it because the fashion industry garners more media attention than other consumer-directed industries (e. g., technology) and caters more to them.

• It depends more on the individual than it does on gender.

• on average though, do you think more female or men spend money? I think on average more females spend money and that's why there are more women magazines, women clothing companies, women jewelry and things like that targeted towards women than men.

• There are also tons of pricey items geared towards men: men's magazines, expensive men's clothes, suits, silk ties, fancy watches, cuff links, expensive sports cars. For pretty much every stereotypical women's purchase, I could come up with an equivalent men's purchase. It really does depend on the individual- how much money they have to spend, their personal choices and preferences.

• I am more of a sentimental person I do keep materialistic things of sentimental value but I don't insist for new possessions unless I need them, I like simplicity.

• Women are. I think it must be because women were originally the "gatherers"

• I admit it, I'm materialistic. I like nice things. I like expensive things. But I also work hard and can afford it. So what's so wrong with that? I'm not stealing it or expecting to be given things. I donate my time and money to charity. And if I want to buy something, then who cares? I'm so sick of people judging how other people spend their money . Not that you are but this question hits a nerve with me.

• If you are making your own money (not going into debt) and giving something back to your community then buy what every you want!

Sometimes after a crappy day the little jolt of adrenaline and dopamine, from buying something new, can help you get back to normal faster. If you are getting enjoyment out of the things you buy, no one has the right to criticize you or judge you. There is nothing wrong with treating yourself well.

• There are men super m aterialistic like my cousin. That for him he has to buy everything branded and expensive otherwise he ays is not good quality. He keeps buying expensive stuff in order to look good and ahve a good image. He bought a $4000 watch from his girlfriend and just recently in a Europe trip, he bought the latest Michael Kors Smart watch, and it cost a lot. A watch that is not even sold in USA yet just in Europe and was j ust recently launched.- My cousin said he needed to buy that watch. He is in love with watches.

• Women are

• That's not what materialistic means I'm a very materialistic way less than I was when I was younger