Do you think pathological liars know that they're lying?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• www.everydayhealth.com/.../
    According to some psychologists, Compulsive liars tell the stories they think want to be heard, while pathological liars continue to lie when they know you know they’re lying. So, yes, they know they are lying but they can not stop doing it.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They know. Some people are very delusional and can't be wrong. But in my opinion, not every pathological liar is delusional and not every delusional person is a pathological liar.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Had a pathological liar as a roommate while I was in psychiatric therapy. And as many people here said they don't know they do. I mean maybe they know that they are lying but they can't do anything about it they just know they are lying because they have that condition.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had one as a room mate, I don't think he did while telling lies but then when confronted you could tell he understood even though he wo uls adimately defend his points.

0|0
    0|0
  • On some level, of course. But if you're that used to lying, it's not that difficult to start falling into the trap of believing what you say.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are story telling. Its not tolerable when they are trying to cover a lie because their response is so fucking stupid. But, as part of conversation they are funny. Master story tellers

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes otherwise they'd be delusional rather than liars

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that's literally what pathological lying means.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's become a defense mechanism that they can't control at a certain point.

0|0
    0|0
  • Naw they had done it so much they get use to it like breathing

0|0
    0|0
  • I think only severe mental illness patients are unaware they are lying

0|0
    0|0
  • ..."no"

0|1
    0|0
  • yes they know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most times they don't

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, it depends

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, everyone knows they're lying.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do they just can't help themselves!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but they don't care

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure

0|0
    0|0
  • At some o

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• As an ex-pathological liar- it just happens. They don't really think, the words just kind of form. And it's too late, because it'd be weird to go back and be like, "wait no I didn't live in Portland as a kid".

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't think so. Because lying is normal to them and when you're doing something that is normal to you, you see nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course they do. But they keep lying their way to life that it's second nature to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, my cousin and uncle do it all the time. They're well aware of what they're doing

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, they know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes most of the times