Do you think pathological liars know that they're lying?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• www.everydayhealth.com/.../
    According to some psychologists, Compulsive liars tell the stories they think want to be heard, while pathological liars continue to lie when they know you know theyโ€™re lying. So, yes, they know they are lying but they can not stop doing it.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They know. Some people are very delusional and can't be wrong. But in my opinion, not every pathological liar is delusional and not every delusional person is a pathological liar.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• Had a pathological liar as a roommate while I was in psychiatric therapy. And as many people here said they don't know they do. I mean maybe they know that they are lying but they can't do anything about it they just know they are lying because they have that condition.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had one as a room mate, I don't think he did while telling lies but then when confronted you could tell he understood even though he wo uls adimately defend his points.

0|0
    0|0
  • On some level, of course. But if you're that used to lying, it's not that difficult to start falling into the trap of believing what you say.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are story telling. Its not tolerable when they are trying to cover a lie because their response is so fucking stupid. But, as part of conversation they are funny. Master story tellers

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes otherwise they'd be delusional rather than liars

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that's literally what pathological lying means.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's become a defense mechanism that they can't control at a certain point.

0|0
    0|0
  • Naw they had done it so much they get use to it like breathing

0|0
    0|0
  • I think only severe mental illness patients are unaware they are lying

0|0
    0|0
  • ..."no"

0|1
    0|0
  • yes they know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most times they don't

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, everyone knows they're lying.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes, it depends

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do they just can't help themselves!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but they don't care

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure

0|0
    0|0
  • At some o

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• As an ex-pathological liar- it just happens. They don't really think, the words just kind of form. And it's too late, because it'd be weird to go back and be like, "wait no I didn't live in Portland as a kid".

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't think so. Because lying is normal to them and when you're doing something that is normal to you, you see nothing wrong with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course they do. But they keep lying their way to life that it's second nature to them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, my cousin and uncle do it all the time. They're well aware of what they're doing

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, they know.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes most of the times