What advice can you give to a new driver?

I just turned 16 two weeks ago and I'm planning to get my permit sometime next week. I've driven in a parking lot a few times, but honestly it's been a few months since the last time I was at the wheel. I'm really nervous to get on the road, because I'm at the point where 20mph seems really fast to me. Any advice you can give to ease my worries?

322

Most Helpful Guy

• It’s like riding a bicycle. You don’t forget anything.

Don’t avoid faster roads. The more you drive on them the less of a big deal it will be.

For the best advice have someone with lots of driving experience in the car with you. Someone who isn’t always freaking out/scared... lol

Most Helpful Girl

• Assume other people's next move. There's a lot of stupid driver's out there, so you gotta think for them. Practice, practice, practice!

What Guys Said 21

• It just takes time and practice and you'll get more and more comfortable with it. Main thing I'd advise (you may not be there yet but when you are lol), always keep your eyes moving and look ahead. And keep a safe following distance!! Those two things are the biggest things people don't seem to do very well. Don't get right up on somebody's ass!! You never know what they're going to do, like brake hard and suddenly! If they do, you need time to react to it.

• If you have the option, I'd highly recommend a defensive driving course! It's worth it.

• Start slow, drive with confidence, but not over confidence. Be a little patient, your skill will improve steadily.

• Don't get in my way!

• Oh, and find a busy part of town and keep going around the block making left-hand turns.

• Dont be a jerk: if you want to drive slowly, stay in the outside lane. Know who has right of way and if its you, GO. you're slowing everyone down by trying to be nice by letting someone else in before their turn. Always use turn signals

Keep a cheap pair if sunglasses in the car you’re using. If it commonly snows where you are, have an idea of how to deal with ice.

• When I was learning, get used to the brakes! It helped me a lot. Not just for safety but for smoother and faster learning. And don't stay in the parking lot forever. I did that mistake and didn't learn anything. So go out into the street at your own pace. And like that learning the braking will be easier. I know it feels impossible to learn but you'll get it almost perfectly in 2 months I promise. Also don't panic and always think things through calmly but quickly

• Practice makes perfect, its obvious for you to be afraid but you will get better and confident with time, always remember to keep your eyes on the road, frequently monitor mirrors, ensure to use indicators while changing lane or turning, never forget the left had rule (if its applicable in your country) and at least for a week drive with an experienced driver on your side.

• Don't have distractions going like music or your cell phone. Even turn it off so if it pings you don't jerk. Sit up str8. The best advice I can give you is get used to driving I the evening like say 8pm. Less on the road and people usually aren't in a rush around then. Once you are comfortable then move earlier and so on. No one wants to get into an accident so they will do their best to not cause one either. Have a bit of trust in other drivers out there. But on the flip side always be aware of your surroundings. Shoulder check or look in mirrors every like 7 to 9 seconds

• Relax, look twice, always be looking around you not just in front. Stay off the damn phone. Always watch the front wheels of people who may turn or pull out in front of you from a side road. Wear your seatbelt. Focus on your driving don't worry about others.

• Your perception of speed changes slowly as you become more experienced.
    Treat it seriously, give it your full attention always, and don't drive when you're not capable (drugs, drink, really tired).

• Just believe in yourself. Belief works wonders.

• You just need to practise more to ease yourself.

• Look around, not just in front of you. See and guess what other drivers gonna do. Be safe and have a nice trip.!! Good luck..👍

• Just practice with an adult a lot.

• It takes time adjust to driving, go at your own pace, don't get bothered by other drivers, everyone has been in that situation before.

• dont trust in anybody
    Visualise just you are a good driver other not

• I know you've probably heard this a ton but, don't stress out whole driving. The absolute worst thing you can do behind the wheel is freak out. If you have to take it slow Take it slow! That's perfectly okay. Also no loud music lol

• Don't crash.

• Don't crash

• Don't hit anything. Get in the car and drive every day.

• Just chill out and be confident. I drive while texting lol

• End it all, drink gas, mercury, and eat Tide Pods

What Girls Said 2

• I took an extra four years to get my license so I understand your situation. Start out small going around your neighborhood then slowly work out from there. It kinda sucks but the only way to practice driving and get over any fear of it is driving.

• u coould of got at 15