What does your key to success look like?

What does your key to success look like?
Is it hard work? Conviction and persistence?

Or is it “working smarter, not harder”?

Is it clenching your teeth, smiling and nodding through the adversity? Or, is it avoiding the adversity and focusing as much as possible on that which makes you happy?

Have you unlocked the door yet?

2|3

Most Helpful Guy

• It comes down to what "success" really means to you.
    For me, success is waking up one day unable to feel any sort of unpleasantness or animosity towards any of the responsibilities laid out in the day ahead of me.
    The perfect, unadulterated sense of content.
    It is mostly an internal state of being, but I suppose career success is also a factor in achieving it.

As far as career success goes, it involves a lot of persistence and willingness to follow what really makes me happy, even at the cost of burning bridges or disappointing others.

But "working smart" is also an important factor.
    I really detest the preconceived notions of what "honest work" is, especially if they are allowed to interfere with one's own pursuit of well-being and happiness.

I feel great disdain for those who complain about their situation but live their life like they are flotsam that got randomly washed ashore someplace.

1|0
    0|0
    • "For me, success is waking up one day unable to feel any sort of unpleasantness or animosity towards any of the responsibilities laid out in the day ahead of me."
      Agreed. It seems that this we're born into this state (at least, I was), but grow out of it as the years progress. How to grow back into it; to get back to waking up with nothing but a childish sense of happy-go-lucky-ness towards the day? That's the question.

"I feel great disdain for those who complain about their situation but live their life like they are flotsam that got randomly washed ashore someplace."
      Very much agreed. I recall telling you that I've ended friendships over people coming to expect agreement from me on all matters. This was one of those matters--a constant state of complaining coupled with complete unwillingness to alleviate the cause of those complaints.

• "How to grow back into it; to get back to waking up with nothing but a childish sense of happy-go-lucky-ness towards the day? That's the question."

Hah, that I don't know unfortunately. (mind you, I'm quite the big child too)
      But it is exactly that kind of happiness that makes me comfortable in my nihilism.
      It gives me confidence that I don't have to go on a fool's errand trying to give my life a meaning, that I would be perfectly comfortable with it having none.

" I recall telling you that I've ended friendships over people coming to expect agreement from me on all matters."

Oh yes.
      As much as I fear the idea of perhaps never achieving the aforementioned, I think I would hate and disgust myself for willingly letting myself remain in a state of unpleasantness.
      I don't get people like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• The key is every changing depending on the door that I'm trying to open 🤗
    I don't think a skeleton key to success exists, but there's certainly some things that're somewhat uniform! Like confidence, perseverance and trust. As you need to trust in, and be confident with your ability to turn the key and unlock and achieve success.. And you also need to persevere.. As sometimes, some doors are simply kinda tricky to open.. So it's also somewhat of a patience game!
    Nice question! :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 31

• My keys to success are the study of human behaviour and the belief in strategic thinking. When you are blessed with full physical and mental capacity then your only real obstacles are likely to be people. Understanding people and how to negotiate with people is the quickest route to getting where you want to be.

1|0
    0|0
  • I learned at an early age (thanks to my father), that the key to life success, is long-term based decision making.

Unfortunately too many people in their teens and 20s, make impulsive decisions in their life, that are fruitful in the short term, but damaging in the long term.

NOBODY can maintain success with frivolous and short-term decision making

1|1
    0|0
  • Persistence and Machiavellian guile/ruthlessness. Identify who can help you and put yourself at the front of their minds at all time.

I work with a structural engineer who is possibly the smartest guy i've ever met... but the key thing is, he works FOR me. I keep him content with decent pay and a good team around him, which lets me use his smarts to pad my own resume out.

1|0
    0|0
  • Working smarter is definitely something I follow.

However becoming successful does require a lot of work as well. There's no short cut unless you get lucky and win a jackpot.

Also I think another big part is patience. Too many times people give up way too early because they don't see results right away.

This is especially true for new gym members. They have the desire to get in shape, but since they see little to no change after a few weeks they stop going.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if you have figured out yet that I try to be a good guy, but I also have an aversion to other people s bullshit. I liked trumps quote, "I would like to take this chance to apologize, to nobody, Because Donald trump does what ever the f@&k he wants" . When you meet people spend more time trying to figure out why your similar to them, and stop being so negative all the time. You may enjoy company.

1|0
    0|0
  • Just get up fast after you fail.
    The faster you rise, the more chances you will succeed.

Israeli saying:
    "I'd rather have an epic failure, than dreams folded in my drawer".

2|0
    0|0
  • Success is peace even when the world is burning all around you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Pretty much a: 'get out of jail... free' card from monopoly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 9

• Literally all success to me would be happiness I’ve never been truly happy, so that is my goal.

1|1
    0|0
    • You've never been truly happy? :o How do you define "true happiness"?

• I guess feeling totally at peace ✌️ I’ve never felt it so I don’t know to be honest lol, I always seem to have some worries or problems.

• Ah, yeah, I know what you mean. I think I remember how "total peace" feels like, but I haven't felt anything close to it since I was a little kid, so I'm not sure.

• Stubbornness I would say, because I have been disappointed and messed up many times but if you want to do thinhs right the next time you need to stand for yourself once again, even if you have to be suborn

1|0
    0|0
  • Being smart and making my own choices and my own mistakes which I learn from them, that makes me successful and unlock the keys to success. I live life one day at a time, and loving it more than ever!! ☺ cheers!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Connections; hard work can only get you so far and people usually hire/welcome their friends or certain races (i. e white). Using family connections has gotten me further than trying my best on my own. Maybe even a combination or hard work/perseverance and connections

1|0
    0|0
  • Romanticizing simple things is mine, that’s the only way I can be truly happy. Look at the world like a child would.

1|0
    0|0
  • Working really hard and never giving up no matter what.

1|0
    0|0
  • Working smarter, not harder.

1|0
    0|0
  • taking small steps towards my goals

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes