Is a car luxury or neccessity?

I say both. You are dead without a car if you live somewhere rural but u don't need a car if u live in London for example

• Luxury
    Vote A
  • Necessity
    Vote B
  • Both
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|1

Most Helpful Guy

• In North America it's almost always a necessity, in Europe it's a luxury.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why?

• Show All
    • You literally don't even have the power to have your own gun, we're not on the same level at all. Don't talk to me

• @TheShyPrep looooool i see why you are so corrupted

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• For most people in the US it's a necessity. It's a new country and most of it was built with cars in mind. Public transportation is just not feasible in most places and situations.

In some high density cities, with extensive public transportation, you can get by without a car. Even then it's assuming your job location and hours are compatible with public transport.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say none of the options apply. My stance is: Sometimes a necessity, sometimes a luxury, never both and sometimes a pain.
    Note: This applies to having G and using a car, not to the quality of the car or anything of the likes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm half-way with you. When I lived in downtown Toronto, cars were not a luxury, they were a total pain in the ass.
    Now living in small town Ireland I see them for us as a nice to have, but not necessary. We have great taxi, rail and bus service and car rentals while expensive are readily available and we are lucky enough to live within a 30 minute walk from the town centre.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say the purpose that a car holds for a person. If it is for just going from point A to point B then it is a necessity. If it not only does its basic job, but also showcases its prestige in some sense then it is a luxury. A necessity can become a luxury with added features or qualities but luxury and necessity are two different things and there can be an intersection between them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Even if you live in a city you sometimes go outside lol ( i hope). I live in London and find it a necessity visit the parents, visit friends, shopping, day trips etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on where you live, if you live in Manhattan it's better to rely on subway or cabs, if you live in a rural village with one bus every 24h you might be better having a car.
    Secondly it depends on your financial status, where it its also the better you chose an place that fits your status.
    Luxury is what kind/brand of car you buy.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you live in any city that has good public transportation, busses, and taxi cabs you really do not need one, but in citys or rural areas with poor public transportation or really expensive taxi cabs you realy do need one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you live I suppose, like you said if you live somewhere like where I do you kind of need one, but if you live in a bigger city you don't necessarily need one.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends where you live. Some cities have decent public transport and pretty much anywhere you would like to go can be reached by it, thus a car is more a luxury than a necessity (unless you are transporting stuff large enough that it is not viable on public transport or stuff they won't allow (eg. my city does not allow fuel transport on trains)). In others the public transport is bad enough that a car is required to go anywhere, and thus a car is a necessity. Many cities tend to be a blend, with the inner cities well serviced, but the suburbs (if they exist) poorly serviced.

0|0
    0|0
  • Necessity, public transportation around me is not flexible to anyone who lives their life remotely out of the box.

0|0
    0|0
    • Whats living out of the box?

• Anything that isn't a standard 9-5 job. For instance I live downtown and work in the suburb. 20 minute commute most days, sometimes 30-40 mins. The public transit alternative would be 2 hours one way, with 45 mins of that walking because no route is available

• both. depending on how much you spent for it and how much of it is purely utility and how much is purely vanity.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can live in a car but can't drive an apartment...

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m in London and can’t live without it. I’m too used to having a car and use it every day!

0|0
    0|0
  • Where I live there's no buses, only farm fields and the nearest city is about a 2 hour walk lol so a car is needed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't drive. I razor scooter. Really. It's blue. Scoot all over downtown!

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you live. In Manhattan, it is a nuisance. In the boonies, a necessity.

0|0
    0|0
  • An old Corolla is a necessity when you don't have a car. A Maserati is a luxury

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in Los Angeles and its impossible to survive without a car here. so It is a necessity.

0|0
    0|0
    • how, is public transport so bad in the us?

• yea in LA it's bad and dangerous. lots of poor people who are hungry and need drugs

• For someone like me, necessity. There is very little luxury in it for me.

0|0
    0|0
    • why is that

• I go straight to my destination without deviation. I use it more as a tool to get from point a to b than as a status symbol or other personal benefit. There is nothing luxurious about going to the supermarket and back.

• It can be both, which is why cars vary with the pricing.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a necessity if you wanna save yourself the hassles of public trannsport

0|0
    0|0
  • All of the above dependant on the individual circumstances

0|0
    0|0
  • "It depends" just like you said. Strangely you didn't offer that in your poll.

0|0
    0|0
    • I used both instead

• In some cases it's neither though. It is not necessary and for those who don't see it as a luxury item then it... ah nevermind. I'm old.

• I haven't got the money to even consider buying one.

0|0
    0|0
  • All depends on living conditions and if you have no other means like public transit around

0|0
    0|0
  • Necessity here for sure, but not everywhere

0|0
    0|0
  • In some places it's hard to live without a car

0|0
    0|0
  • A car is a Necessity for ones life.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person, and where they live.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like you say it all depends on circumstance.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 15

• Depends on where you live. Where I live I have no need for a car and would only get one if I had a lot of excess money. But where my mom lives she couldn't get by without a car.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends completely on where you live and what your needs are. If you live in a rural area that doesn't have much public transportation, a care is basically a necessity. If you live in a city with great public transportation, a car is more of a luxury in that case.

0|0
    0|0
  • Having gone from readily having vehicle available to walking everyday, I must say it's a necessity in this day and age. Especially depending on where you live. If you live in a small town where everything is accessible at your fingertips, then okay but if you live in a bigger city, it's very difficult.

0|0
    0|0
    • I thought its the other way around

• Show All
    • Taxis?

• That's more money. With the amount you would be spending on public transit, It's much smarter to just invest in your own vehicle.

• I would say it's both. Not everyone can afford a car.
    And if you live in a country/city with shitty public transportation (which is my case) your life is going to be even harder without it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Necessity.
    However, For Some, hun, It depends on How you Feel with the Deal. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • A Toyota is a necessity, a Rolls Royce is a luxury. I'd say both though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends where you live. Where I live you don't need a car but most people have one

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be both depending on where you live. Where I live it's a necessity being there is no public transportation.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where you live and what kind of car you own

0|0
    0|0
  • Necessity especially if you live in the countryside.

0|0
    0|0
  • B
    in Texas, anyway

0|0
    0|0
    • Lol how much of a shithole can it get

• easy = standing on a subway platform with perverts only to find train has been re routed, detours to get home in snow

• It’s a luxury necessary

0|0
    0|0
  • Both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Necessity

0|0
    0|0
  • Both.

0|0
    0|0