Why is it so much easier to communicate through typing than in person?

I type like the wind and can communicate so intellectually through websites like this and email but I am like a different person who always lacks the right word in person. My vocab turns simple in face to face conversations and the tremble that is hidden when typing is ever present in my voice. Why is this, how can I be as good speaking as I am typing?
Why is it so much easier to communicate through typing than in person?Why is it so much easier to communicate through typing than in person?Why is it so much easier to communicate through typing than in person?
Why is it so much easier to communicate through typing than in person?

#feelingtonguetied

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No worries about offending the other person. No frets about being judged. No one to interrupt your train of thought.

1|0
    0|0
    • So true, people always cut me off or just ignore my hard thought up response in person and there is often very little I can do about it.

• Show All
    • yeah

• I am an introvert too and I feel that this response covered a lot of my worries that I feel liberated when I type instead of converse face to face.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am somehow the same. Through typing I feel like I can be my own self all of the time. While when it is face to face or through phone calls it's depends on who I am talking to and how much I feel comfortable with them.
    I can speak as I type when I am with people who are very close to me "in real life". It is just a matter of shyness. Work on your shyness and you should speak as you write.

Maybe it also has to do with the fact that when you write you have more time to think about what you are going to say so you sound "better". You just have to practise face to face conversations I guess.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 35

• For me it's actually the other way around. I prefer talking to someone in person over texting or calling. I can make myself more clear to a person in real life. While texting I always find it hard to find the right words and people misunderstand me pretty often because of this.

4|0
    0|0
  • The same reason it's easier to be a keyboard warrior than to insult someone to their face. Lack of fear.

1|0
    0|0
    • true, wish talking in person involved zero fear

• It can. It just depends on the nature of your conversation. If it's an intimate one, fear is good. It means you care.

• its the same with me too, but its mainly because im a introvert

1|0
    0|0
    • I am too, but I was hoping it was because of something outside of that. I have seen introverts talk and not be nervous or not resort to online communication but I guess they might be a different type.

• there are at least 3 or 4 types in introverts

• yeah 4 I believe.

• I dont agree at all. Its way easier for me to talk to people in person. Its just hard to approach people. It makes online dating really hard because im good once I get them on that first date but you have to get there first.

1|0
    0|0
    • It’s not a matter of agreeing@Ronlbaum>> it is a matter of you are being different that’s all...

• its the same with me, when im typing i find it hard to keep long conversations going and it can sometimes end in awkward silence, even with close friends

if im typing i can talk all day non stop about all kinds of things

1|0
    0|0
  • You have time to think things through when typing, and there is very little social pressure weighing down on you behind a phone, where the person's eyes and judgement isn't directly influencing your response

0|0
    0|0
  • Typing cahones much like phone cahones when the person is not actually in front of you, you feel easier to converse but when in person it's a different story.

1|0
    0|0
  • I actually am the opposite, I find it harder, as I'm not very good at picking up social cues. There is more information in direct contact, and thus I find it easier.

0|0
    0|0
  • The pauses between messages gives u time to reply in the "perfect" way

2|0
    0|0
  • It's because your nervous around strangers. It's natural, also depends on the environment, I would say I'm the opposite. The only thing I can say is keep practicing, keep communication face to face up.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it's a lot easier to communicate in person to someone because then I can better express myself using body language and the tone of my voice and people can tell how I'm really feeling at the moment such as if I'm making a joke or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens with me too the actual reason is that when u type u have time to think but when u are talking to that person face to face u don't have time to think and u have to look at ur attitude while talking face to face

0|0
    0|0
  • When you type you have time to process your thoughts with your thumbs so your thoughts go from input to output in a short time frame. When it comes to speaking you have to essentially gauge who you're talking to, maintain eye contact here and there, and think before you speak. Sometimes your mouth struggles to keep up with what you're saying and that's usually because your brain is processing words faster than you can say them and your mouth isn't quite on the same page.

I know exactly how it is and I struggle with being able to adequately speak. I talk too fast and a lot of times I stumble over words or simply miss words or letters entirely...

1|0
    0|0
  • The barrier prevents you from feeling awkwardness and pressure.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you have time to compose something and think it over before you send it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because a person is "safe" when not in face-to-face situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because you can think out exactly what you want to say and delete it if it doesn't come out right. Advice for talking though: think before you speak, and be slow and concise. Humble even

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol, in my case it's the opposite, it's hard for me to maintain a conversation throw social media, i feel more secure in a face to face situation

0|0
    0|0
  • i don't think it is cause often times the lack of nonverbal communication can make words come accross wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • you can share random thoughts in a jist without seeing the opposite person's expressions.. abd can edit and modify a particular statement which may be fake or real

0|0
    0|0
  • Because typing removes all the awkwardness and feelings from communicating with people.

Simples...

0|0
    0|0
  • Because when you're typing no one is looking at you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that you are a product of this current technology of the Information Age. All of your life you have had at your fingertips and electronic device that has seems to have enabled people to survive much easier without face to face personal contact, it is probably partly why you have developed such a great way of communicating by writing. I would advise you to look too formal in class speech or communication studies usually called speech or speaking for success. I am sure once you are taught what to do you will pick it up and be just as good at it as you are at reading and writing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you don't have to have the emborrasment of seeing them face to face when saying it

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you don't have to see the persons reaction

2|1
    0|0
    • A lot of the time I straight out avoid looking at the face of those I speak too, just quick glances.

• I'm guilty...

Don't know why though.

2|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, same of course

• Show All
    • Yeah thats what I meant, familiar persons are no problem, but I think whe you are talking to a person whom you just met online, is way harder

• Really is!! Especially if you don't know what they look like 😁😁😁

• Do u have tits that are large

0|0
    1|1
  • It's not

1|0
    0|0
  • Because u can write by taking time and by thinking

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm the opposite

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 19

• For me it's easier in person than through typing. When communicating in person, the other person can see my body language, facial expressions and hear my tone of voice. Over the phone I have ten times more misunderstandings and it's not as easy to share deep feelings through typing for me.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are talking about the wonders of non-verbal communication which is obviously not a part of texting emailing etc.. I think if a person can’t mess your communication the hard way which is writing they can easily master the easy way which would be face to face with all of the non-verbal communication benefits not afforded in communication by text

• That was supposed to say I think if you can master communicating the hard way

• When you're typing, you have time to think of something good to say :)

2|0
    0|0
  • You have a little more time to think and it won't look weird.

1|0
    0|0
  • I swear! This happens to me too. I usually practice the whole thing before speaking in person.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea but i hate it! Would rather hear the mans voice in person or by telephone

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel like you do too... I think it's the fact that I can pause to think without distractions... but in real life I can't because of all the distractions.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm better at texting because I can correct myself or think about better reply. You can't take back what you say out loud but you can delete the answer If you dont like it

0|0
    0|0
  • Sense you can’t see that person face, it is easier to hide behind a screen rather than engage in a conversation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because in person you are nervous and you are face to face

1|0
    0|0
  • I like talking more in person because well it's just more fun? I don't know lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Cuz your rereading it while you're typing, so its going through your head twice before you actually send it. Which is better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you have anxiety

1|0
    0|0
    • Well I do feel nervous sometimes when speaking with others, my voice shakes and even cracks sometimes. It is strange I keep telling myself it is irrational. I guess it could be anxiety, I used to say I have social anxiety in high school, but I don't know I was never diagnosed and I fear talking to doctors so I hope for the best. I don't know.

• Show All
    • Thanks for advice I guess it is for the best, I'll see if I can be diagnosed.

• Good

• I suck at both writing and speaking

0|0
    0|0
    • there's always sign language, visual communication has a wide spread of possibilities and you can communicate to more people.

• hmmm that's true i've always been better at using stupid pictures lol

• Hence the invention of gifs, memes and emoji.

• requires fewer motor skills

0|0
    0|0
  • because of so many reasons, shyness? awkward?

0|0
    0|0
  • U are a goat

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you can pause and think about what you are going to say without an awkward silence. Also if you are nervous or anxious or nervous around other people it's eliminated when you don't have to be physically near them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah its me too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because we would only good at things that we do more and practise more. Practice makes perfect. When we barely talk in real then it becomes barely too. When we used to text and typing than we just used to it. Result come from what things given

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes