How can I ask my crush what he thinks of me or if he likes me?

I'm planning on asking my crush what he thinks of me. We never talked before because we're both very shy but I know that he's a nice guy since we know each other since we were kids we just never talked to each other before. He's about 6 years older than me so I don't know if he would take it even serious, so could you give me some tips to not seem needy or desperate or something like that. I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable and I'm not the type of girl to just kiss him or confess my feelings without being sure what he thinks of me. I just need some advice on how to seem serious but I also don't want to come off as too strong

01