I want to rent this house but is it a good decision?

I can no longer afford my apartment I'm living in currently so I'm moving out that the end of this month. I found a nice little house that is up for rent (way cheaper than what I'm currently paying for rent) because the owner's daughter was recently diagnosed with cancer so she left town to be with her at the hospital and needs someone responsible to watch her property.

I did her questionnaire she emailed me and then she texted me saying she agreed to let me rent as long I treat her home like its my own. I agreed.

Now she's saying she's going to mail me the keys and documents tomorrow! I feel like this is going to fast. There's no way I could view the house either although she sent me a lot of pictures. I worried about being scammed.

I need opinions before I say yes to anything. She hasn't asked me for rent money yet.
Thank you all for your advice. I decided to keep looking. I don’t want to be scammed. Unfortunately the last few places I looked at seemed a little scammy.

38

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't rent it site unseen. This sounds odd. I'd check into it better. At least go look at the place.

One thing I'd do is check to make sure she is even the owner. I don't know where you are from, but in the US it's normally public record who owns a property and should be at the county web site.

I'm not sure how this could be a scam, but I think it's best to check into it more. This is the normal way of doing it. I've never heard of anyone renting a property without seeing it.

It does sounds like a good deal but don't let her rush you.

What are your obligations? It might be cheaper than your current apartment, but you may have other obligations other than rent. Like yard work and possibly utilities like water and trash that you might not currently pay.

Most Helpful Girl

• If this turns out as you expect, hope, have been told, then you are the one getting the bargain not her. I have owned and rented out lots of houses and apartments. You would always expect the person renting to treat it like their own and it is normal to get references and a guarantor, so the person who owns the house is usually the fussy one. They are the ones risking that you do not pay the rent or trash the place. A questionnaire is nothing - you can give whatever answers suit you and lie to through your teeth telling her what she wants to hear.
    You get what you pay for in this life. If you get a bargain there will be some sort of problem or strings attached, otherwise they would be charging a lot more.

• Reminds me of some of the adverts I have seen where people say they have a pedigree puppy for sale, but because of this problem and that problem they are letting it go very cheap. Or free. All you have to do is pay for the transportation and shipping costs and send them now.
      It appeals to your greed. You are hoping to get a fantastic expensive dog for no money. Instead you send the money for the transportation and get nothing - the dog does not exist.