What are the pros and cons of being an introvert?

I consider myself to be an introvert. While I have my own ideas as to what the positives and negatives of being one are, I'd like to see what opinions others have.

1211

Most Helpful Girls

• Pros:
    . We're okay with being alone
    . We don't need others approval
    . Don't get pushed into going out
    . Christmas and birthdays are way cheaper
    . people find you more interesting when you do open up.
    . We're better at reading people

Cons:
    . sometimes it's lonely
    . We find it difficult to talk and Interact with people without being awkward
    . no one listens
    . realising how annoying extroverts can be
    . people assume you must be shy or have something wrong with you
    . people think your scared or dislike them
    . difficult to get a word in group conversations
    . People underestimate you
    . people forget about you

• That last con is one that strikes at me. I do recall struggling with people being indifferent towards me when I was growing up in elementary and middle school. Things got slightly better in high school.

• Pros: You find comfort and peace when you’re alone. You learn how to focus on yourself rather on others and you learn more about yourself as a person and appreciate the solitude.

Cons: If having mental conditions like depression, it’s not always a good idea to be alone. Your thoughts would be clouded overwhelmingly and will probably stop enjoying the things you do when you’re alone. Going outside can be a good distraction. You’ll find it hard to interact with others and may miss the chances of exploring and finding things n the outside world

• This 👍🏻

• It definitely can, but not thinking too much is easier said than done for me. Even when I'm doing something relaxing, like watching a tv show, I'm thinking about something that is bothering me, or my future.

• it happens to me, and I believe it’s because you spend a lot of time alone and you just need a good distraction

Most Helpful Guys

• More negatives than positives in my opinion, because let's say you become a wizard at something. Still a lot of the people running the show will be extroverted types, building social connections and climbing up the ladder that way and being enthusiastic about it. The introvert might be able to manage that sometimes but often in a way that will be exhausting where they're eager to retire home.

I'm an ambivert. I used to think I was an introvert and didn't get nearly as far, even in my career, in spite of publishing algorithms that became widely used in my industry while getting job offers left and right, until I unleashed the extroverted half. And when I did and started getting excited about seeing people and socializing, so many opportunities opened up to climb up the social ladder. Before I was stuck at the middle rungs until I became more enthusiastic about being around people.

That said, all the knowledge and practice I gained in my field, and what set me apart, was when I was a shy introvert being exhausted by seeing people and preferring to spend my time alone as a social recluse. So if I was strictly an extrovert, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to get to where I am now, and might have been worse off, at least successfully in terms of career, than when I thought I was an introvert. Being an introvert gave me some elite skills, but I wasn't able to climb as far just on skills alone lacking interest in socializing until I unleashed that extroverted side.

• Yet in spite of the career success I associate a little more towards being introverted than extroverted, at least in my field, I often think happiness is associated more with being extroverted. At least now, I tie my happiness not to my research and innovation, but to my family, friends, community. For that it helps to find energy in being around people.

• Another thing if you are like me is that if you are on the introverted side, you might have a very keen ability to observe people, learn their body language, their psychological profile, etc. If you can just connect that with an enthusiasm to thrust yourself in such environments and interact, you can potentially make a person who can really empathize with others in ways that surprise people. And that can help a lot if you just connect it with the social initiative in every aspect, from moving up in your career to meeting women to making friends. The hurdle being an introvert is just the initiative and enthusiasm.

• Being an introvert has made me more observant over the years. I've learned about relationships from watching others and I hadn't started dating until I was 22. Through my introverted experiences, I have become better at detecting genuine people from bullshitters. One thing I can say is that I do enjoy conversations once I am in one. That can be a stepping stone for me as I gradually move away from being a complete introvert.

• Con most people won't even be able to get you, they won't understand you being that way and confuse it by being rude or so…

Pros (I love this one in particular) whenever you be in a group of people you just need to talk and they all will immediately shut up and pay attention to listen to you…