What are the pros and cons of being an introvert?

I consider myself to be an introvert. While I have my own ideas as to what the positives and negatives of being one are, I'd like to see what opinions others have.

What are the pros and cons of being an introvert?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Pros:
    . We're okay with being alone
    . We don't need others approval
    . Don't get pushed into going out
    . Christmas and birthdays are way cheaper
    . people find you more interesting when you do open up.
    . We're better at reading people

Cons:
    . sometimes it's lonely
    . We find it difficult to talk and Interact with people without being awkward
    . no one listens
    . realising how annoying extroverts can be
    . people assume you must be shy or have something wrong with you
    . people think your scared or dislike them
    . difficult to get a word in group conversations
    . People underestimate you
    . people forget about you

0|1
    0|0
    • That last con is one that strikes at me. I do recall struggling with people being indifferent towards me when I was growing up in elementary and middle school. Things got slightly better in high school.

• Pros: You find comfort and peace when you’re alone. You learn how to focus on yourself rather on others and you learn more about yourself as a person and appreciate the solitude.

Cons: If having mental conditions like depression, it’s not always a good idea to be alone. Your thoughts would be clouded overwhelmingly and will probably stop enjoying the things you do when you’re alone. Going outside can be a good distraction. You’ll find it hard to interact with others and may miss the chances of exploring and finding things n the outside world

1|1
    0|0
    • This 👍🏻

• Show All
    • It definitely can, but not thinking too much is easier said than done for me. Even when I'm doing something relaxing, like watching a tv show, I'm thinking about something that is bothering me, or my future.

• it happens to me, and I believe it’s because you spend a lot of time alone and you just need a good distraction

Most Helpful Guys

• More negatives than positives in my opinion, because let's say you become a wizard at something. Still a lot of the people running the show will be extroverted types, building social connections and climbing up the ladder that way and being enthusiastic about it. The introvert might be able to manage that sometimes but often in a way that will be exhausting where they're eager to retire home.

I'm an ambivert. I used to think I was an introvert and didn't get nearly as far, even in my career, in spite of publishing algorithms that became widely used in my industry while getting job offers left and right, until I unleashed the extroverted half. And when I did and started getting excited about seeing people and socializing, so many opportunities opened up to climb up the social ladder. Before I was stuck at the middle rungs until I became more enthusiastic about being around people.

That said, all the knowledge and practice I gained in my field, and what set me apart, was when I was a shy introvert being exhausted by seeing people and preferring to spend my time alone as a social recluse. So if I was strictly an extrovert, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to get to where I am now, and might have been worse off, at least successfully in terms of career, than when I thought I was an introvert. Being an introvert gave me some elite skills, but I wasn't able to climb as far just on skills alone lacking interest in socializing until I unleashed that extroverted side.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yet in spite of the career success I associate a little more towards being introverted than extroverted, at least in my field, I often think happiness is associated more with being extroverted. At least now, I tie my happiness not to my research and innovation, but to my family, friends, community. For that it helps to find energy in being around people.

• Show All
    • Another thing if you are like me is that if you are on the introverted side, you might have a very keen ability to observe people, learn their body language, their psychological profile, etc. If you can just connect that with an enthusiasm to thrust yourself in such environments and interact, you can potentially make a person who can really empathize with others in ways that surprise people. And that can help a lot if you just connect it with the social initiative in every aspect, from moving up in your career to meeting women to making friends. The hurdle being an introvert is just the initiative and enthusiasm.

• Being an introvert has made me more observant over the years. I've learned about relationships from watching others and I hadn't started dating until I was 22. Through my introverted experiences, I have become better at detecting genuine people from bullshitters. One thing I can say is that I do enjoy conversations once I am in one. That can be a stepping stone for me as I gradually move away from being a complete introvert.

• Con most people won't even be able to get you, they won't understand you being that way and confuse it by being rude or so…

Pros (I love this one in particular) whenever you be in a group of people you just need to talk and they all will immediately shut up and pay attention to listen to you…

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• You can create your own world while you block out the world you’re living in. And you can dream for hours (at least I can). You can also get to know other introverts on a deeper, more personal level and you mostly open up much faster to other introverts than to other people, because they ‘get’ you

But you get judged bu so many extraverted people and you are often labeled as asocial, shy and quiet (Which recents you from meeting new people

0|2
    0|0
    • Prevents*

• Show All
    • What are your pro’s and con’s?

• Well, one pro for me is that my introverted ways have caused me to be more selective/picky with the friends or company I keep, which has led to me having exactly the type of influences I want or need in my life. One con is that my dating life is pretty much nonexistent unless I resort to online dating, which has been a crappy experience for me to say the least.

• Pros are that you dont feel the need to constantly go out (spending lots of money), you are happy being alone, you can find joy in just being home and not doing much, and you dont have a ton of people you have to contantly keep up with texting or wishing happy birthday, etc.

Cons are that you most likely have less friends, might be socially awkward, may get invited to less events, etc

1|1
    0|0
    • Well because of online shopping introverts still spend money lol... I think introverted people invented online shopping. lolol

• Show All
    • INtroverts INvented INternets online shopping. You might be on to something there...

• As an introvert, I can honestly say that I love the convenience of online shopping. I wear size 14 shoes, and those are hard to find in the stores near me.

• Here's mine.

Pros: Alone, don't have to share food, peaceful, and almost like you're free. You just get a lot of time to think to and about yourself for the better.

Cons: You're always going to feel like holding someone. Or being near someone because you feel too alone. (Pro: when you finally do, you're gonna hate their presents. 💀💀💀) you're always going to feel like having someone to laugh with too. Pretty much me my whole life.

0|1
    0|0
    • One big con for me is that my dating life has been negatively affected by my introverted ways. I don't go out often, so it is hard for me to meet women.

• I can relate. I've never could work out being in a relationship bit he's what I would try: get their number first and text them. Talking I'm the phone is too much for me cause I have anxiety and I don't want to sound awkward. So text them cause it's easier. Orrrrr you can find a girl just like you

• Pro: You'll always be comfortable being alone. You don't need people around 24/7 to be happy or have a good time.. I personally love this sense of independence.
    Con: Having a hard time communicating with people or having social awkwardness... Being in social gatherings is often considered work. Feeling like you have inferior people skills.

1|1
    0|0
  • Pro: You depend on yourself when things get rough or the zombies come out to eat you.

Pro: You can enjoy silence and peacefulness with just you and maybe a dog.

Pro: You can so what you want to do and you don’t have to argue with anyone.

Con: You don’t have anyone to talk to except your self and when you that people think your crazy.

1|1
    0|0
  • Pros: I don't have to deal with people, I don't need to be with people 24/7 to be happy, I don't mind being alone, I'm more independent.

Cons: Can't think of any

0|0
    0|0
  • Its harder to make friends and express your point of view

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't want to be an introvert, but I wanted to clarify that being an introvert doesn't automatically mean not social. Being an introvert is essentially about sensory experiences. Introverts process information much faster and are easily overwhelmed or exhausted by things that are taxing in that respect, like loud noise, lots of talking, or excessive interaction for their tastes. I remember reading studies that indicated that introverts were less likely to value human interaction, and that extroverts experience some neurological reaction in response to socialization, taking risks (like stepping outside of your comfort zone to meet new people), etc. It was compared to the rewarding feeling that gamblers experience. Extroverts process information in a more measured, slower rate that allows for more extensive exposure to these sensory experiences without getting to the "I can't, need to be alone and quiet" point as fast.

It's true that many introverts are asocial and that the sensory overload is enough to make most prefer recharge or alone time more often. But some do love to go out and socialize. I have introverted friends who are way more outgoing and social than I am. I'm closer to the ambivert center, but I'm still definitely an extrovert. My Myers Briggs type is ENFP, which is often described as the least extroverted extrovert type, because of the way our extroversion tends to be expressed (extensive conversation, debating, in-depth topics, trying to find bigger picture meaning, etc.). But we still draw energy from interaction, whereas introverts lose energy.

I'm an only child so I relate to needing a lot of alone time (also an ENFP trait).

Having said that, from an outsider view:

Introvert Pros: Not threatening in socialization, more likely to be a follower or listener, being comfortable being alone, not relying on others to do things, you'll probably never be yelled at for being too loud, can blend in easily

Cons: passive listener more than active listener, often insecure with expressing themselves, often asocial but not all, probably best matched with an introvert but may have trouble carrying on conversations together, people will think you're rude or not interested even if you are, you'll have to learn to "perform" socially to gain success in many fields, self-centered by definition of being focused on yourself more than others, people won't assume you're leadership material, some have difficulty engaging in certain degrees of conversation

0|2
    0|0
  • Pros: we are okay with being by ourselves, we are very passionate about something, in touch with our inner self.

Cons: being out drains us fast, we wanna be included even if we don't go,

0|1
    0|0
  • I’m an extrovert 😂😂, all I want to say is that you’re very handsome.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• I can't think of any cons, that is why I am one. I used to host parties and be social, but I got sick of the drama and dealing with other people's BS in their lives, constantly needing my advice or help, which ended up always being a one way street when I needed help.

Now I don't have to hassle with that crap and have plenty to do to keep me occupied without the need of others. I do things the way I want, when I want. Everyone else can get fk'd

0|0
    0|0
  • Pro: you can read me
    con: You think you can read me
    Pro: You can actually read me
    con: I wanted you to read me

0|0
    0|0
  • Your only chance is that girls find you atttactive and take your shyness as being mysterious. Or they could spend less effort on someone they know likes them. If you wanna become more extroverted, just think about how many girls you know have been into you. Let's say you've known 100 girls in your whole life and only one liked you at some point. (sad i know) However if you do the math, that means that you have a great chance with 4,000,000,/4,000,000,000 girls in this world, and all you need is one of them. Happy hunting bro.

1|3
    0|0
  • well I'm a pretty energetic socializer,

but whenever it ends I take a cat nap

what does this mean?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know if it has any pros or cons. Maybe the ability to be less reliant on others.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess the negative is not meeting new people

0|0
    0|0
  • No pros at all. Just cons.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can’t think of any positives to being an introvert except you’re always to yourself and inside most of the time

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes